Keto vs Intermittent fasting?

Keto diet restrict what you can eat, IF restrict when, so these two practices aren't mutually exclusive, you can be on a keto IF diet. I am sure combine with regular exercise, result will be outstanding.

Weight loss isn't complicated. You need to eat less calories than the amount of calories required to maintain you current weight. You need to be in a caloric deficit. Find foods that will keep you full that are not high in calories. Veggies are a safe bet. You can eat ridiculous amounts of broccoli and spinach and not gain weight. To me the easiest way to loose weight is to eat tons of veggies. You will be full without taking in a lot of calories, and you can then eat some things that you enjoy more for taste without going over your caloric limit.

A good weight loss meal would be a huge serving of broccoli paired with some type of protein.
Sucks I can't eat broccoli, most vegetables and fruit because I'm allergic :( but there's always a way and I'm doing that. Luckily I've always seemed to do great when I really tried. What you said is great advice for most people though.

I'm about to get fat again and I want to avoid that. Usually when I need to correct my life and get back on track with weight I did "Low car" aka keto. Lately I've also heard some things about intermittent fast. Can someone share their opinions on the differences. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs.

Why not both, I lost 40lbs using intermittent fasting while on keto with a lot of water every day.

I'm about to get fat again and I want to avoid that. Usually when I need to correct my life and get back on track with weight I did "Low car" aka keto. Lately I've also heard some things about intermittent fast. Can someone share their opinions on the differences. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs.

I'm on week 10 of Keto, lost 18 lbs so far with minimal muscle/strength loss, and that's while running a 500 daily caloric deficiency. You don't get those energy spikes that you get while eating carbs, but your baseline energy levels are higher and more stable (read: no mid-afternoon energy dumps).

Do whatever is easier for you. If you think you can consistently fast for 16 hours and restrict your eating to an 8 hour window, go for that. If you think going 'reasonable' keto is easier (i.e. 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat) then go with that. The principle is the same, keto switches your body from glycolysis to ketosis (uses fat storage instead of carbs for energy) via adjusting diet, and fasting does the same thing via no eating. You can do both at the same time safely btw.

Either way, you're going to have to induce a caloric deficiency, there's no getting around that.

I'm on week 10 of Keto, lost 18 lbs so far with minimal muscle/strength loss, and that's while running a 500 daily caloric deficiency. You don't get those energy spikes that you get while eating carbs, but your baseline energy levels are higher and more stable (read: no mid-afternoon energy dumps).

Do whatever is easier for you. If you think you can consistently fast for 16 hours and restrict your eating to an 8 hour window, go for that. If you think going 'reasonable' keto is easier (i.e. 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat) then go with that. The principle is the same, keto switches your body from glycolysis to ketosis (uses fat storage instead of carbs for energy) via adjusting diet, and fasting does the same thing via no eating. You can do both at the same time safely btw.

Either way, you're going to have to induce a caloric deficiency, there's no getting around that.

How much protein do you consume daily? I just started Keto today

Started Keto today

Breakfast
5 slices thick cut bacon
3 eggs cooked in bacon fat

Lunch
1 large Portuguese sausage
Block of frozen spinach

Snacks
4 cheese sticks

Dinner
2 chicken thighs
Block of frozen spinach

I’m starting at 193lbs and going to cut to 180 should have a ripped 6 pack at that weight

Started Keto today

Breakfast
5 slices thick cut bacon
3 eggs cooked in bacon fat

Lunch
1 large Portuguese sausage
Block of frozen spinach

Snacks
4 cheese sticks

Dinner
2 chicken thighs
Block of frozen spinach

I’m starting at 193lbs and going to cut to 180 should have a ripped 6 pack at that weight

Without doing the math, that looks like it's too low in fat. Needs more olive oil, avocado and coconut oil for starters. I would also swap out the sausage with something non-processed. Would also swap pecans or some other high in fat nut (e.g. macadamia but pecans are easier to find for me and cheaper) instead of the cheese sticks. However if the math works out and you're getting at least 70% of your calories from fat, the above should still put you into ketosis.

i like the drinking man's diet. it's like the james bond version of low carb, haha:

41%2BpnlNDwIL._SX291_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Drinking-Man...237204&sr=8-1&keywords=the+drinking+mans+diet

Without doing the math, that looks like it's too low in fat. Needs more olive oil, avocado and coconut oil for starters. I would also swap out the sausage with something non-processed. Would also swap pecans or some other high in fat nut (e.g. macadamia but pecans are easier to find for me and cheaper) instead of the cheese sticks. However if the math works out and you're getting at least 70% of your calories from fat, the above should still put you into ketosis.

Yeah you are right. I ate too much protein for my first day but did eat sub 20g carbs. I made the mistake of buying ground sirloin which I cooked into burgers. Today I’m going to up my fat intake and lower the protein.

I just got some pecans and avocados to help bring up my fat intake. Im going to get some Ketostix today to see if I’m in ketosis yet.

I read conflicting info about excess protein intake. Some literature says it will knock u out of Keto while other literature says it won’t.

What about sucralose? Do I need to drop my pre workout(Hyde)?

I just got some pecans and avocados to help bring up my fat intake. Im going to get some Ketostix today to see if I’m in ketosis yet.

I read conflicting info about excess protein intake. Some literature says it will knock u out of Keto while other literature says it won’t.

Too much protein will most certainly knock you out of Ketosis since your body turns an excess of protein into glucose. There are studies (I can dig them up if needed) that show that the whole minimum 1 gr per pound of bodyweight adage is overkill and that anything over 0.6 gr per pound has no additional benefits.

Sucralose is a zero-calorie sweetener so should be fine.

Any time i do ketogenic diets i keep my protein at around 140g and that's a bit less than my weight when im in shape (145lbs). Never kicked myself out. People worry too much about gluconeogenesis.

Any time i do ketogenic diets i keep my protein at around 140g and that's a bit less than my weight when im in shape (145lbs). Never kicked myself out. People worry too much about gluconeogenesis.

I just pissed moderate ketones on ketostix. I am starting intermittent fasting tomorrow as well and already have my food planned out and packed.

I’m going to have to work cheese sticks and turkey pepperoni into the diet for a few weeks because I have a ton of both. Not optimal but I’ll make it work. I made this Keto brownie cheesecake(link below) and it helped me hit my fat today.

https://www.ketovale.com/recipe/brownie-bottom-cheesecake/

The core of my diet is going to be chicken thighs, avocado, spinach, broccoli, and pecans.

I just pissed moderate ketones on ketostix. I am starting intermittent fasting tomorrow as well and already have my food planned out and packed.

I’m going to have to work cheese sticks and turkey pepperoni into the diet for a few weeks because I have a ton of both. Not optimal but I’ll make it work. I made this Keto brownie cheesecake(link below) and it helped me hit my fat today.

https://www.ketovale.com/recipe/brownie-bottom-cheesecake/

The core of my diet is going to be chicken thighs, avocado, spinach, broccoli, and pecans.

I would also recommend using musjrooms, onions, garlic and bell peppers 1 yo 3 times a week.
1 whole bell pepper is only 15g carb and provides a lot of micros. You can make stuffed pepper with it and brocoli or cauliflower rice. Good way to break monotony.

I would also recommend using musjrooms, onions, garlic and bell peppers 1 yo 3 times a week.
1 whole bell pepper is only 15g carb and provides a lot of micros. You can make stuffed pepper with it and brocoli or cauliflower rice. Good way to break monotony.

I was thinking of trying a Keto Shepherds Pie this weekend. Cauliflower mash instead of potatoes.

Back