Kessler negotioations breakdown, Froch could face Stevenson in April?

The President

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Only hours ago it looked as if Carl Froch was gearing up for a unification rematch with Danish fighter Mikkel Kessler. Since then however, a reporter from TVA sports has confirmed that Adonis Stevenson will face The Cobra in April, after Eddie Hearn was unable to come to an agreement with Sauerland boxing. Stevenson

One suspects the fight will be in Canada then, since Stevenson might not be allowed into the UK because of his past? Or can Commonwealth citizens travel freely despite criminal records?

at 35 and having just regained the world title, Froch needs bigger fights than Stevenson. hes not much different to Mack in terms of benefits of taking the fight.

doesnt Bute have a rematch clause? id go for that one. or maybe a domestic showdown with Degale or Groves

at 35 and having just regained the world title, Froch needs bigger fights than Stevenson. hes not much different to Mack in terms of benefits of taking the fight.

doesnt Bute have a rematch clause? id go for that one. or maybe a domestic showdown with Degale or Groves

Bute does have a RM clause but doesnt want the fight for obvious reasons.

Froch does need bigger fights then Stevenson, IF he doesnt fight Kessler (which I think he will) he'll fight Ward and lose.

froch should face the winner of dawson-pascal

stevenson is froch mandatory defense, it's not like he has much choice if he wants to keep his belt.

Adonis has much tougher challenge to beat Froch unlike the whores he is used to beat and went to prison for.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61123#ixzz2H9y1ZuD0

By Luke Furman

IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch will vacate his title in order to finalize a rematch with WBA "regular" champion Mikkel Kessler - if the International Boxing Federation denies his request to delay a mandatory fight with Adonis Stevenson of Canada.

Froch's promoter, Eddie Hearn, has yet to reach an agreement with Sauerland Event, who promote Kessler. Froch's back is now against the wall as the IBF ordered him to face Stevenson and both sides have until January 15th to reach an agreement or a purse bid will be called.

There have been discussions between Hearn and Yvon Michel, who promotes Stevenson, to stage that fight in the event the Kessler discussions become a dead issue.

If a deal with Kessler is reached beyond the IBF's deadline to submit an exception for a delay on Stevenson, Froch could very well vacate the belt.

"Even if the IBF does not recognize my fight against Kessler as a unification fight, I will still fight him. I am willing to sacrifice everything for the game. If it means that I have to give up my IBF belt, I'll do it. I fought hard to win the IBF belt, when I defeated Lucian Bute, and I am proud to be a world champion. But sometimes a match between two named fighters is larger than the title. A fight between Kessler and me is as big as it can get, whether there are two belts at stake or not," Froch was quoted by La Journal.

Luke Furman covers boxing for bokser.org

Props to Froch, I like that way of thinking.

If the Kessler vs Froch fight doesn't get made, I would venture to say it is Kesslers fault. He doesn't seem all that interested in these big fights anymore.

I am one of the few fans that still care about belts but still got give it up to Froch for doing everything(even foriting the belt) to get the Kessler fight done. Props to him.

If the Kessler vs Froch fight doesn't get made, I would venture to say it is Kesslers fault. He doesn't seem all that interested in these big fights anymore.

That's the way it's going to look, alright!

If Kessler is serious about having a rematch with either Ward or Froch, then his team better make some realistic offers. I have a feeling he doesn't fight either in the future

Kessler only seems to be interested in paydays now.

Back