Kesa Americana always makes me sweat when I see it applied in Competition. Here's how to do it...

lol I had a ref pause the match when I was on the bottom of them right before he cranked it. She thought I was tapping when I was pushing on his hips. She stopped and we were both like huh then she was like oh nvm go and he cranked the shit out of it. luckily I didn't break anything.

I have finished 4 fights with this move, and completely tore the ligaments causing surgery in 2 of them. Its a brutal move because you dont really get any time to tap if they just launch into it.

lol I had a ref pause the match when I was on the bottom of them right before he cranked it. She thought I was tapping when I was pushing on his hips. She stopped and we were both like huh then she was like oh nvm go and he cranked the shit out of it. luckily I didn't break anything.

fuuuuuuu

I have finished 4 fights with this move, and completely tore the ligaments causing surgery in 2 of them. Its a brutal move because you dont really get any time to tap if they just launch into it.

yeh! truly horrible, I call it "breaking space", i.e. how much more range of motion you have left after the limb has already reached it's limit. This one just has so much of that!

i tap just thinking about this position.

i honestly tap faster to this than heel hooks. that's how dangerous it feels.

Edit: Speak of the devil from this morning

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I didn't compete in BJJ, but in practice I've always been able to apply this move slowly with control.

One of the first submissions I ever learned in judo. True destructive power wielded by a judo yellow belt is a frightening prospect when looking back. Thankfully, I have never injured anyone with it. Just locking it up tends to be enough for people to get the point.

The Americana is prob an added factor. People don't like to tap to them.

I implement tap quick tap hard policy once someone gets my in this submission. He does not even need to pull anything. If my hand goes in there, I will tap.

Back