Kenny Florian Bjj Accomplishments?

ThinkGreen

Der Übermensch
@Silver
Reaction score
I know Florian is a Bjj black belt under Roberto Maia, and also trained a lot out of Rio De Janero Brazil, but do you guys know of his Bjj accomplishments as far as tournaments are concerned? I appreciate all responses/help, thanks!

http://www.kennyflorian.com/competition.html

btw,

fuck kenny florian. let joe lauzon get 5 illegal elbows to the back of the head and see how the fight goes.

Shows your ignorance of the elbow rules of the UFC.

1. They weren't intentional to the back of the head, Lauzon put his head down
2. Those elbows were not illegal, people only know of the 12-6 rule, but don't know the underlying rules about it as it pertains to strikes on the ground.

GTFO noob

Kenny whooped some major ass and deserves all the credit in the world.

2. Those elbows were not illegal, people only know of the 12-6 rule, but don't know the underlying rules about it as it pertains to strikes on the ground.

GTFO noob

Maybe he should pay attention to where his elbows are landing?

GTFO noob

id like to see the official rule book because everywhere I look, I just find it saying that you can't use downward elbows.

what are the official rules pertaining to elbow strikes on the ground?

I'm surprised to see hate towards those strikes in this forum. They are a repeatedly powerful response to an opponent in a "safety" position in your guard.

Also, I am not a fan of allowing the escape of damage by using the rules to hinder an opponents striking. I can't recall the fight, possibly a Tiki Ghosn fight, when an opponent had dominant position on a turtling opponent who did nothing to escape but cover up. The referee prevented reasonably rule abiding strikes, and then stood them up. The fighter who should have won right there was KO'd later. I don't think you should be able to drop vertical elbows or punches to the back of the head/base of spine for safety reasons, but these were not the same.

GTFO noob

They weren't intentional, they were flying all over the place. But he had clear knowledge that some were falling through to the back of the head which is illegal, esp. in the 12 to 6 position but he continues to do it because the ref doesn't call anything. This is a clear example of where the ref needs to decipher the situation and decide whether the opponent is elbowing extraneously with the knowledge that some of them are going to the back of the head.

So you can stfu a little.

GTFO noob

I'm kinda 50-50 on your first point. I'll point out right now that I haven't seen the fight and am only going to go by my understanding of the rule. No opinion on point 2 as I haven't seen the fight.

Strikes don't necessarily have to be intentional to get points docked. Primary examples are a inside thigh kick and lands square to the groin. Guy that got kicked goes down and the kicker will usually get docked a point. Shots to the back of the head however, one will usually get a warning.

Rules are rules whether we like them or not. If a rule is set by the commission, everyone has to abide by them and if they are used by a fighter for defence, too bad, live with it. Call it the "Mazzagatti rule" if you want. But IMO, he got the ruling right in the Mir-Lesnar fight. The rules state that there's no striking to the back of the head. Mir did the right thing in defence of the elbows while in half guard by curling up and putting his face into Lesnar thereby exposing to strikes the only part of his head that would be illegal to strike. As Mazzagatti said "In that position, Mir should not have to worry about being hit in the back of the head". I'm sure Lesnar's intention was not to strike the back of the head however he continued to do so after he was warned not to (as the ref has stated) and hence was docked a point.

I think that if it's unintentional and after warnings are giving you lose a point. If it's deliberate, DQ. If one keeps "unintentionally" breaking the rules, you get DQed too after you've already lost points.

On a slightly different note about using the rules, I've seen numerous fighters get on their knees and jump into someone's guard because they didn't want to get a upkick in the face. I've also seen Randy Couture put his hands on the ground while he's being sprawled on and someone's lifting his upper body on the ground to prevent knees to his head.

haylicks is dead on,if you know the rules and/or interpertation of the rules,the rest is easy...either way, joe was gassed and died in the second round!!!

so when your on the ground its legal to strike with the point of the elbow. thats is interesting always thought striking with the point of the elbow like that was pretty damn illegal.

so when your on the ground its legal to strike with the point of the elbow. thats is interesting always thought striking with the point of the elbow like that was pretty damn illegal.

It's legal as long as you don't bring them from the ceiling to the floor, and they're not to the back of the head/neck area. BJM discussed this in an interview.

i believe he has a win over marc laimon in competition as well.

a) This the grappling forum, right? What do elbows have to do with anything here? And there is a huge thread in HW about it. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=760918 They are legal or at worst and unintentional blows to the back of the head.

b) The elbows had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the fight. Joe's inablity to escape the mount 5 minutes after the elbows decided the fight.

c) Thanks for the link to the competitions.

My real issue with that elbow fiasco in the first round is, why was the fight restarted on the feet? You can argue the legality of the elbows all you want, but if you accept that the ref said the elbows were illegal, then why wasn't Joe given any time recover, and why wasn't it restarted in Kenny's guard?

To be somewhat on-topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyhmzQpBARY

BJJ Kenny highlight

kenny owned him once ''altitude''took over...joe knew he had to win in the first round or he was cooked...even florian haters can't possibly believe lauzon was in kenny's league...lauzon didn't either if you listen to the post fight interviews...

There was NO way joe was gonna win, I'm a Boston bahstid and I knew from friends of Mark D and just knowing the gyms that they came from. Kenny and Keith ran a fuckin sweat shop when they ran the no gi AT BBJJ so i've heard, NO mercy with those boys. I trained with a guy from BBJJ when they were there, and he was an ANIMAL and I trained with him when he was a white belt. Then he went to BBJJ and EVERY choke was lie a freakin razor. DO NOT MESS WITH GRACIE BARRA BLACK BELTS.. Or MARK Ds mauy thai boys. funny story. Lets just say when your trainer gets cuffed to a wall because the cops are afraid of him because his HANDS, FEET, ELBOWS ect are weapons and they cuff him to the wall as a precaution don't fuck with him.. Then again this is all second hand info from a local. but knowing the reputation of BOTH of them from around the town. when it comes time to fight. OH yea and joes old camp never heard SHIT about them(PERIOD)

esos81,when kenny/keith taught at bbjj,there was only one class:no newbe's...you could look across from you when it came to roll and there was kenny or whatever advanced belt they had;only three guys i started with 6 years ago are still there...we did gi/no-gi,mma all in one day...i still f'ing hurt,but would'nt have it any other way...ttt

Back