Kenny Florian And Jon Anik schooling Jones haters. The myth Jones got outstruck

Schilling at its finest.. at least they get paid in the thousands to do it unlike others

It's one of the reasons I cant stand jon anik, the guy is the biggest UFC schill. Every fighter is a top contender and every fight is one of the greatest fights he has ever seen. You can have 100 fighters and all those 100 fighters are top 10 fighters.

watched round 2

counting down time from 5:00 start:
4:52 -- Jones takes the center of the octagon, reyes behind the double lines
4:15 -- Reyes still on the backfoot, both guys playing pitter patter
4:12 -- Reyes throws his flurry that doesn't really land. Jones gets out 10 seconds later and they share the center.

3:42 -- Reyes is now backing up again. feet behind the double lines.
3:06 -- Reyes still has his back to the fence. Throws a kick and jones catches it... back against the fence again.

2:50 -- Reyes get in the center, sharing it with Jon
2:45 -- Jones in control
2:25 -- Reyes with some lateral movement. Jones pushes him back to the other side of cage.
2:04 -- Reyes still backing up

1:30 -- Reyes still backing up, feet behind the lines. Jones tags Reyes hard with a left straight.
1:20 -- Reyes with a punch that makes jon step back and blink his eyes. Jon responds with kicks that back up Reyes again
1:06 -- Jon in control, reyes behind lines

0:30 -- both fighters exchanging shots. Reyes still backing up
0:17 -- reyes lands an uppercut and flurry backing up jones for second. Jones resets, Reyes lands a leg kick. Jon holds his ground and starts walking toward Reyes again.

Round ends with Reyes backing up to cage breathing hard. Jon chasing reyes and the ref breaking it up

Verace up all day desperately trying to damage control Jones looking like shit.

Yes, Reyes has missed a lot of strikes @Verace - doesn't change the fact that he has landed more though.
Also: if you assume that those judges are generally bad at recognizing how many strikes actually landed, then you can't only say that about Reyes, but have to say it about Jones as well.

What's also true, is that Reyes has Jones had hurt so bad at the beginning of the fourth (18 seconds in, after clearly landing a powerful left straight and a left hook to Jones face as well) that Jon immediately started to wrestle, making even Dominick Cruz (who at least in the stand up should be able to recognize a few things) saying that Jones is hurt.
Another thing is, that Reyes landed the majority of his strikes on the head and body of Jones, while Jones was only outlanding Reyes on leg kicks.

Significant strikes landed by target (Jones in red, Reyes in blue):

Head: 31 to 41 significant strikes landed

Body: 30 to 48 significant strikes landed

Legs: 43 to 27 significant strikes landed

Moreover, the octagon control/aggression argument does not really make sense, as (to quote analyst Jack Slack here) "if you're moving forward constantly but not doing anything about the strikes and not landing your own strikes, the only thing you're really dictating is not the pace, but the pace at which you lose."
Aggression and moving forward is worthless if it comes at the cost of being outlanded.

As for the grappling exchanges: Jones landed one takedown in round four (where he literally couldn't keep Reyes on the floor for one second) and another one in the last round, where Reyes was (technically) on the ground for 4-6 seconds.

Overall, at least three rounds should go to Reyes, whereas Jones had the nod in round five and - depending on how much value you put on a takedown that resulted in no top control - maybe in round four, as five of the seven strikes that Jon landed more in that round were leg kicks, whereas Reyes had Jon hurt at the aforementioned beginning of that round.

@GrayArea @20falarVerdades @TheToqueville @Ken Fresno i know you guys have been (more or less) arguing back and forth in favor of Jones, while i had Reyes winning, so i figured i'd tag you in this response to Verace OP instead of answering to each of you in too many threads.
An answer from you - preferably without any insults or ad hominems - would be appreciated.

Note to @TheToqueville: in case you bring it up: i guess St-Pierre vs Hendricks could have gone either way, but despite absorbing the more powerful shots, St-Pierre did at least outstrike Hendricks and had the upper hand in the wrestling exchanges as well (landing three takedowns, compared to Hendricks' two.)

I dont know.... Reyes had a lot of these spazzy flurries which are much harder to count properly live. Jones shot selection is a lot more precise and easier to recognize.

In a fight where the difference in effective striking was really close even in the fight metric data, this room for error becomes questionable. Yet people will use this as irrefutable proof to their argument.
When Jones walked home while Reyes was in a wheelchair. So what was more effective in the end afterall?

In the end i actually dont have a problem with it being scored for Reyes. It was very close and its fine being scored like that.

Just that people acting like its a total fix and using relatively questionable data to justify comes more from how people feel about Jon than a fair assessment

9EF9D46D-DFF5-4127-86D9-A0571B58D27A.jpeg While I thought Reyes took the fight, but this doesn’t hurt the argument.1, 3-2,Reyes

Reminds me of when Fedor fought Arlovski and everyone thought AA was dominating because of all his closely missed strikes.

Huh? Reyes outlanded Jones the first three rounds, even if he missed more. And he dealt considerably more damage.

That people think round 2 was Jones' or anyone's round is the real myth. Reyes outstruck Jones by 50% margin, and did more damage.

Reminds me of when Fedor fought Arlovski and everyone thought AA was dominating because of all his closely missed strikes.

That was actually funny, because it seemed very clear to me that Fedor was slipping almost every punch from that opening flurry. The delusion on here was good for some laughs.

Back