Ken Shamrock was in the wrong time

Don't be ridiculous. He was a huge muscle built guy. Weight cut or not his best fight weight was around 215-225 so LHW or HW were the options.

View attachment 858046

Well here, when he got to the WWF, he got up to 245. And he could've probably gotten even bigger if he wanted to (I gather that he still wanted to keep his quicks, as even at that size he was doing much more athletic stuff in the ring than people like Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, etc., not to mention was still working with his Lion's Den guys). I mean, look at him at 19.

ezgif-2-3f0ad58e5755.jpg

From football and wrestling to pro wrestling and MMA, from the time that he was a teenager Ken was working out and training like an animal. Roids or no roids, that kid was going to grow up to be jacked as hell and strong as hell.

Well here, when he got to the WWF, he got up to 245. And he could've probably gotten even bigger if he wanted to (I gather that he still wanted to keep his quicks, as even at that size he was doing much more athletic stuff in the ring than people like Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, etc., not to mention was still working with his Lion's Den guys). I mean, look at him at 19.

ezgif-2-3f0ad58e5755.jpg

From football and wrestling to pro wrestling and MMA, from the time that he was a teenager Ken was working out and training like an animal. Roids or no roids, that kid was going to grow up to be jacked as hell and strong as hell.
It's a shame most people only remember the shadow of Ken. He should've retired after his loss to Franklin, the Tito rematches were uncessesary especially after he said their fued was 'over and done with' after their first fight but Tito kept baiting him and then UFC wanted to milk it for TUF.

Ken shows insane athletecism here weighing at about 235 Ibs

Some people laughed when Ken said he would've beaten Lesnar in prime, but Ken was also a bad ass wrestler who went to the Olympic trials and his performance in neutralizing Severn, a much more highly decorated and equally big wrestler as Lesnar shows he would have been fine on the feet and his submission game was obviously way ahead.

Last edited:
Frank was and always will be the superior shamrock sibling IMO

It's a shame most people only remember the shadow of Ken.

Yes, it is. Like @mkt said earlier, had he left for the WWF and never competed in MMA again, he'd be one of the most revered legends. But like Rogan said about Randy Couture when he dropped from HW to LHW after losing to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez, you see someone lose and you see them as a loser but that's crazy. People have seen Ken lose a lot, and more often than not those people who have seen him lose have either never seen him win or don't know enough about the history of the sport to appreciate who he was winning against, so they literally can't process the idea of Ken Shamrock at one time being the best fighter on the planet. But he was.

He should've retired after his loss to Franklin, the Tito rematches were uncessesary especially after he said their fued was 'over and done with' after their first fight but Tito kept baiting him and then UFC wanted to milk it for TUF.

For the sake of the sport, since Ken's fight with Franklin was the TUF 1 headliner and brought in a lot of viewers - myself included, because even though I watched TUF 1 I tuned in to see Ken Shamrock - I agree that retiring after losing to Franklin would've been better for MMA, but for the sake of Ken's career, I think that the best time for him to have retired would've been after the Kimo rematch at UFC 48. After losing to Tito, he comes back and headlines a UFC with a return to HW and a rematch against one of the opponents who challenged him for his Superfight title back in the day. And he not only wins, he wins with a spectacular first-round KO on Father's Day weekend with Bob Shamrock in the stands for a great post-fight interview shout-out. That's the ride off into the sunset moment that Ken had and that he should've taken. Of course, that means no TUF 3, no Tito rematches, no record-breaking Spike broadcast, and no more big paydays, but for the Ken Shamrock saga, if you will, that was the moment to say The End.

Some people laughed when Ken said he would've beaten Lesnar in prime, but Ken was also a bad ass wrestler who went to the Olympic trials and his performance in neutralizing Severn, a much more highly decorated and equally big wrestler as Lesnar shows he would have been fine on the feet and his submission game was obviously way ahead.

I have no trouble imagining Ken in his prime tapping Brock fairly quickly in similar fashion to the way that Mir tapped him in their first fight. He probably wouldn't be able to take Brock down - although Ken did have a fantastic duck-under and he would've been strong enough to lock horns with Brock, so if he was going to take Brock down it wouldn't be with a single or double, it'd have to be a duck-under and then him dragging Brock down - and I doubt that he'd be able to stop Brock from taking him down - although he did do a fantastic job shutting Fujita down before he gassed in that bizarre fight for which he didn't even train and shouldn't have even taken - but on the ground Brock would be at Ken's mercy.

He was a beast by early/mid 90s standards, but the game passed him by very quickly

Did it, though? Even though he literally didn't have a chin anymore by the time he fought Franklin, he actually looked really good for the majority of that fight. He rocked Franklin with a big punch and cranked his ankle bad enough to send Franklin to the hospital even in victory.

I don't think that "the game passed him by" so much as his body (after so many years of pro wrestling to say nothing of his years of football, amateur wrestling, and MMA) just gave up on him. His knees were shot, his shoulders were bad, and he lost his chin, yet despite all of that he had more than a few moments in his post-WWF MMA career where he looked damn good. Had he been healthy and had he aged like Randy Couture, to where his body could keep up with his clearly evident will to continue learning and evolving, I think that he would've evolved in-step with the sport and could've given the top 5 fighters in either the LHW or HW divisions real hard fights in those years from 2003-2007 when it was Tito, Chuck, and Randy dominating the LHW division and Sylvia, Mir, and Arlovski dominating the HW division.

In modern times I think Ken would fight at 185. Ken is 205lb without cutting weight. That's what he weighed when he fought Dan Severn at UFC 6 anyway.

Screenshot-2021-05-30-UFC-6-Free-Fight-Ken-Shamrock-vs-Dan-Severn-1995.png

He was a beast in the day. 24-5 at one point.

Ken was a legend but missed out on making money from MMA and then kept fighting because of it when he really needed to just be a coach.

I don't know how much different he would have been with modern training. He was really just good at being the aggressor but bad at defending. For someone with so many submissions (22/28 wins) he was submitted a lot in his prime (his first 4 losses all subs).

I would love to see him in a commentary position.

People have seen Ken lose a lot, and more often than not those people who have seen him lose have either never seen him win or don't know enough about the history of the sport to appreciate who he was winning against, so they literally can't process the idea of Ken Shamrock at one time being the best fighter on the planet. But he was.

For the sake of the sport, since Ken's fight with Franklin was the TUF 1 headliner and brought in a lot of viewers - myself included, because even though I watched TUF 1 I tuned in to see Ken Shamrock - I agree that retiring after losing to Franklin would've been better for MMA, but for the sake of Ken's career, I think that the best time for him to have retired would've been after the Kimo rematch at UFC 48. After losing to Tito, he comes back and headlines a UFC with a return to HW and a rematch against one of the opponents who challenged him for his Superfight title back in the day. And he not only wins, he wins with a spectacular first-round KO on Father's Day weekend with Bob Shamrock in the stands for a great post-fight interview shout-out. That's the ride off into the sunset moment that Ken had and that he should've taken. Of course, that means no TUF 3, no Tito rematches, no record-breaking Spike broadcast, and no more big paydays, but for the Ken Shamrock saga, if you will, that was the moment to say The End.

I have no trouble imagining Ken in his prime tapping Brock fairly quickly in similar fashion to the way that Mir tapped him in their first fight. He probably wouldn't be able to take Brock down - although Ken did have a fantastic duck-under and he would've been strong enough to lock horns with Brock, so if he was going to take Brock down it wouldn't be with a single or double, it'd have to be a duck-under and then him dragging Brock down - and I doubt that he'd be able to stop Brock from taking him down - although he did do a fantastic job shutting Fujita down before he gassed in that bizarre fight for which he didn't even train and shouldn't have even taken - but on the ground Brock would be at Ken's mercy.

I don't see why you think Brock could have taken him down when Severn couldn't. Lesnar was not even close to the level of Severn in amateur wrestling although he was bigger I'm sure Ken would have come in heaver fighting Lesnar as well.

The 2nd Kimo fight was the right time to walk away in hindsight but in reality he had a 3 fight deal and looked too good against Kimo plus coming off of successful ACL surgery he was always going to do another. I never understood why it was Franklin though. Absolutely nothing to gain, he should have fought another older legend or at least someone where there was some meanning to the matchup.

I remember him saying before the Franklin fight in an interview "who am I to say this is not this guy's time?"
Not exactly fighting talk you want to hear.

Frank Shamrock was also praising Ken before the fight saying "Ken was old skool and from a time when if you break one hand, you use the other hand".

As good as Ken was though I don't think there was ever a time when he was the best fighter in the world. I can't see a way he ever beats Rickson and even Don Frye would have beat him back in the day.

After he beat Severn maybe a claim could be made but there were guys out there like Ruas who would have posed problems for him and had better standup. Ruas though wasn't much of a wrestler so Ken might have got by but Frye I don't see it, Ken never showed he was better than Taktarov either and soon after Coleman came on the scene, again Ken would not have done well.

It's a shame most people only remember the shadow of Ken. He should've retired after his loss to Franklin, the Tito rematches were uncessesary especially after he said their fued was 'over and done with' after their first fight but Tito kept baiting him and then UFC wanted to milk it for TUF.

Ken shows insane athletecism here weighing at about 235 Ibs

Olympic trials were open to public when he did it. He just showed up and paid for it. He never qualified for it.

Olympic trials were open to public when he did it. He just showed up and paid for it. He never qualified for it.
His performance in neutralizing Severn in clinch, one of the greatest amateur wrestlers the US has ever produced who should have been a sure set for Olympic freestyle gold in '84 or '88 and had a 50 pound weight advantage, speaks for itself.
Severn and Shamrock.jpg

Last edited:
he was an entertainer more than an actual fighter. a lot of those pancrase bouts were closer to pro wrestling than mma

What a fuckin idiot Ken is. He shoulda came around now.

Nice. Glad you watched it and glad you enjoyed it. The last time I had a Fight Pass subscription, which was a little over a year ago, they still hadn't uploaded the whole Pancrase back catalog, but they do have a treasure trove of early Pancrase content if you want more, plus YouTube has a decent amount.

Unfortunately, their rematch is a huge snoozer - Ken was pissed at the Pancrase brass and would actually never fight for Pancrase again, making their rematch his final Pancrase fight in which he had no incentive to go all out, while Takahashi was uncharacteristically timid, so there wasn't much action - but that first fight is a fucking barn burner. Ken puts quite a beating on him, but Takahashi just never quits and yeah, he airmails Ken which not even Severn could do :cool:

Absolutely. Whenever someone trots out the "He just has leg locks" thing, it's a dead giveaway to me that they haven't watched his fights, because in all of his Pancrase fights including all of the rope escapes I wouldn't be surprised if the number of arm triangles compared to the number of all variety of leg locks was actually close to even. Ken was an absolute monster on top and he had phenomenal top control, so the arm triangle is a natural submission for someone with a wrestling/position emphasis. But that he hits it even off of his back is all the more impressive.

That's because Takahashi got to the ropes. In Pancrase, if you grab the ropes it's a lost point, whereas if you tap out the fight's over. Takahashi got to the rope but Ken didn't realize and then by the time the ref got him to let go he'd choked him out. But Takahashi is such a beast that when he came to he just went right back at Ken :eek:

I cannot recommend binging old Pancrase matches highly enough. If you want two of the most epic things you'll ever see in MMA, let me recommend Bas Rutten's second fight against Masakatsu Funaki and Frank Shamrock's fight against Allan Goes. In the Bas/Funaki fight, Bas absolutely massacres Funaki but Funaki refuses to stay down. If you thought Sakuraba could take a beating, watch Funaki get up over and over to the point where the arena is shaking at how loud the crowd is chanting, "Funaki! Funaki! Funaki!" And then Frank/Goes is a non-stop, balls-to-the-wall, back-and-forth war where they both pull out every stop and leave it all on the mat. It ends in a draw - they each manage to force the other to use one rope escape from one submission but early on there were no judges, so if a fight went the distance and neither fighter lost a point or both lost the same number of points then it was declared a draw - but it's the most thrilling and satisfying draw in MMA history.

And for the Frank/Goes fight, since this thread is about Ken Shamrock, I'd nominate that fight as one of the greatest examples of how important a corner is in a fight. Frank gets to a point where he's not even on fumes, there is just nothing left in the tank, but Ken is there ringside in his ear every second and he basically wills Frank to continue, his energy and intensity ringside transfer to Frank and he manages to fight his hardest at the end of the fight when he's got nothing left.

Long story short: To anyone reading this thread, please do yourselves the favor of watching as many Pancrase fights from 1993-1996 as you can. It's some of the most fun stuff you can watch from this great sport.
Yeah, the matches were definitely worth the watch. Really fun. It's really cool to see the earliest days of the sport like that. Ken's transitions on the ground were really high level for that time period. I can definitely see what you're talking about when you talked about his knees. His mobility was notable in those pancrase matches. Didn't you say his knee health was at its lowest around the time he fought Don Frye and thereafter?

He was really just good at being the aggressor but bad at defending. For someone with so many submissions (22/28 wins) he was submitted a lot in his prime (his first 4 losses all subs).

Again, we have to know history so that we can put these things in their proper perspective. Those four losses you're referring to are to Royce Gracie, Minoru Suzuki (twice), and Masakatsu Funaki. Against Royce, he - and everyone else - was surprised by BJJ. Nothing to be ashamed of, especially considering that once he knew Royce's game Royce had nothing for him.

Against Suzuki, one of those two losses was a work, i.e. Ken intentionally lost. Once Ken became the King of Pancrase, the Pancrase brass was nervous about him continuing to fight in the UFC. They didn't want their champion to lose in another organization. So as soon as he won the title, they started asking him to drop it. First, heading into his Superfight rematch against Royce, they wanted him to lose his title to Bas Rutten. However, since Ken had already beaten him once before, he found that insulting. That's why he was so intense for that rematch and why he went out there and tapped Bas with that nasty kneebar in just a minute. He was making an example of Bas and taking out his frustration on him. But when they kept at him, asking ahead of his Superfight match against Dan Severn that he lose his title to Suzuki, Ken relented. Aside from being Japanese, so a hometown hero, and aside from being one of the co-founders of Pancrase, Suzuki did beat him once before, so Ken said "Fuck it," dropped his title in an obvious work, and then went and won the UFC Superfight title.

And then against Funaki, that second fight where he lost to a quick RNC was also most likely a work. The second fight against Suzuki is a very famous work, but his second fight against Funaki is just speculation. However, the circumstances of that fight raise some eyebrows. On Ken's side of things, he broke his hand in training and was unable to compete in UFC 2, yet when he finally gets the chance to compete in the UFC again for UFC 3, where he wanted desperately to get another shot at Royce, he's cool with competing in Pancrase against one of the top guys in the org and risking injury and possibly missing out on another UFC just a week before UFC 3? I find that very hard to believe. Then, on Funaki's side of things, he'd just lost to Ken's new guy, Jason Delucia, in his debut Pancrase fight, where Funaki was famously intending on carrying Delucia and making him look good for a while before eventually submitting him, only to be surprised by Delucia's skill and ending up submitted himself in just a minute. Since at the time Pancrase was holding its "Road to the Championship" events sort of "seeding" all of the eventual competitors in the King of Pancrase tournament, for Funaki to be able to "redeem" himself after losing to Ken's new guy by getting a win over Ken himself, it all just fits quite nicely. On this one, I could be wrong. Ken could've just gotten sloppy, he could've looked past Funaki having beaten him once before and having Royce on his mind with the UFC just a week away. But with the way the fight played out and with everything going on around it, I've always thought that one was a pretty obvious work.

So that's two losses by submission to two of the best submission fighters on the planet at the time, one of whom he would go on to show had nothing for him once he knew his game. And maybe a third loss by submission to another one of the best submission fighters on the planet at the time, against whom he won two out of three fights. Hardly damning evidence of a questionable ground game.

I would love to see him in a commentary position.

He was a guest commentator a bunch in the early days while he was competing and he was great then, and then later I liked him in the booth with Goldberg at UFC 41. And for just one of the many reasons that Randy/Vitor II was a bummer, Ken was a guest commentator for that fight and didn't get to comment on much.

I don't see why you think Brock could have taken him down when Severn couldn't. Lesnar was not even close to the level of Severn in amateur wrestling

Records/accolades aside, Brock was bigger, stronger, and faster than Severn ever was.

As good as Ken was though I don't think there was ever a time when he was the best fighter in the world.

To clarify, I meant in terms of record/accomplishments/rankings. Whether you think there were people out there who could beat him, in the MMA standings he was in the #1 slot going from the King of Pancrase to the UFC Superfight Champion.

But on the subject of people out there who may have been able to beat him in his prime...

I can't see a way he ever beats Rickson and even Don Frye would have beat him back in the day.

...no way were these two on that list. Rickson wasn't even a paper champ, he was a word-of-mouth champ. Say what you want about Royce, at least he stepped in the cage event after event and fought the toughest guys the UFC had to offer, fighting multiple opponents a night and with a giant target on his back each and every time. Rickson did nothing but duck everyone who was average and above his entire MMA "career." While Royce was stepping into the UFC cage with Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn, Rickson was fighting David Levicki and Bud Smith. While Ken was stepping into the Pancrase ring with Masakatsu Funaki and Bas Rutten, Rickson was fighting Yoshihisa Yamamoto and Koichiro Kimura.

The only "legit" win that Rickson has is his win over Funaki, but even that win has a massive asterisk next to it. Rickson didn't call Funaki out until Funaki retired. Funaki officially retired in 1999 with no intention of ever competing again, he just wanted to focus on promoting Pancrase. Aside from being burned out on years of pro wrestling and then Pancrase, his body was totally breaking down, he had multiple injuries including a really bad knee. He was done. But when Rickson called him out, Funaki, Samurai that he was and ambassador for Japanese MMA that he was, knew that it'd be a huge cultural event in Japan - and it was, that event was broadcast throughout Tokyo and got something like 30 million viewers, all of whom also got to see Funaki's Pancrase star Yuki Kondo obliterate Rickson's guy Saulo Ribeiro, which for Funaki made it all worth it even after losing himself - and so he came out of retirement and fought one more time.

All of that said, Rickson struggled mightily even with the broken down retired Funaki. He couldn't take him down no matter how hard he tried, and had he not blown out Funaki's bad knee with one of his kicks from the ground I don't think that he would've been able to get Funaki on his back. And Rickson even kneed Funaki in the nuts in like the first 10 seconds of the fight despite almost getting the fight called off for negotiating like a weasel all the way up to the day about "special rules" regarding knees, elbows, and headbutts for his delicate BJJ self.

Rickson may be a BJJ God, but he was an MMA fraud. Had he actually competed in Pancrase from 1993-1997, or had he fought someone not Nobuhiko Takada in PRIDE from 1997-2000, he would've been massacred. Both Ken Shamrock and Masakatsu Funaki in their primes would've had no problem with Rickson, Bas Rutten would've slaughtered him, Frank Shamrock and Kazushi Sakuraba would've handled him. If Rickson was great at anything in MMA, it was at protecting his phony image.

As for Don Frye, he was only able to deal with Ken after Ken was riddled with injuries and after Frye roided up so much that he was like 250 pounds of muscle. Had Ken fought Frye at UFC 8, say, or in the Ultimate Ultimate 1996, he would've had no problems manhandling the svelte 200-pound Frye. I mean, look at what Gary Goodridge, Brian Johnston, and Mark Coleman did to Frye. Goodridge was just big and strong and he gave Frye all he could handle until he'd gas; Johnston was just big and strong and he gave Frye all he could handle, too, yet Ken absolutely ran through him; and Frye could do absolutely nothing even to a bloated, gassed Coleman, yet when Coleman trained with Ken at the Lion's Den after Ken already went to the WWF the word was that Ken "humbled" Coleman.

Frye was one of those early well-rounded fighters with solid hands and solid grappling, but in his prime Ken would've dispatched him rather easily IMO.

After he beat Severn maybe a claim could be made but there were guys out there like Ruas who would have posed problems for him and had better standup. Ruas though wasn't much of a wrestler

Now Ruas would've posed a stylistic problem for Ken. Ken wouldn't have any problems dealing with Ruas on the feet and getting him to the ground - just look at the way Ken breezed through both Bas and Maurice Smith, both of whom were FAR superior strikers - but on the ground Ken would have to be very careful. He wouldn't have a big leg lock advantage nor would he have a big size advantage, so he'd have to be real careful with his top positioning and make sure that Ruas couldn't scramble and catch him with something. As for Ken, I don't know that he'd be able to get Ruas in anything but an arm-triangle. He'd probably be safer controlling from the top and shutting Ruas down the way that he shut down the super slick Manabu Yamada in their King of Pancrase match and judiciously GNPing like he did to Christophe Leninger.

Ken never showed he was better than Taktarov

Ken went easy on Oleg in their Superfight match because they were friends and training partners. Ken even got Oleg into Pancrase. He really didn't want to fight him and that's why he never really opened up on him. Even so, Oleg had absolutely nothing for Ken either on the ground or on the feet. In what universe is there any questions of who was better?

soon after Coleman came on the scene, again Ken would not have done well.

See above. Coleman was a monster but he couldn't do anything to anyone who had even somewhat of a clue of what to do on the ground. He couldn't do much to Maurice Smith, Pete Williams, or Pedro Rizzo when he had them on their backs. And Maurice Smith, who was on the mat with both Coleman and Kevin Randleman, said that Ken was by far the strongest guy he ever fought, saying that his suffocating top game was like being crushed by an anaconda.

he was an entertainer more than an actual fighter. a lot of those pancrase bouts were closer to pro wrestling than mma

Chuck-Liddell-whatever-shrug-fuck-it-gif.gif

Descartes had it right when he said that "confident assertion and frequent repetition are two ploys that are often more effective than the most weighty arguments when dealing with [people] who do not examine things carefully."

Yeah, the matches were definitely worth the watch. Really fun. It's really cool to see the earliest days of the sport like that.

Glad you enjoyed them. And yes, the feeling of watching the first UFCs, the first Pancrase events, old Superbrawl events, etc., is like nothing else. Literally watching a sport be born and start to grow up is so much fun. Plus, the fights are awesome :D

Ken's transitions on the ground were really high level for that time period. I can definitely see what you're talking about when you talked about his knees. His mobility was notable in those pancrase matches.

Oh yeah, for a 220-ish pound muscular dude to be able to move the way he did was something else. He'd be on the mat with super slick smaller guys like Minoru Suzuki and Manabu Yamada and he was just as fast if not faster than them. He was such a quick scrambler despite his size and he could move from side mount to mount, front head lock to the back, etc., so fucking fast; he had great awareness with leverage and positoning; and he could lock up submissions before you had the time to react or get away.

He had that terrifying combination of strength, speed, and skill.

Didn't you say his knee health was at its lowest around the time he fought Don Frye and thereafter?

Yes. From around 2002-2004, he was at his unhealthiest. His knees were shot, his shoulder was bad, he was just a mess. That's why there's a sad irony to the fact that he was actually the healthiest he'd been in years for the Franklin fight. By the Kimo rematch, he'd healed up his knee, and then by the Franklin fight, he'd healed up his shoulder, so he was actually healthy and in shape for the first time in years. But after taking beatings from Tito and Frye and managing to eat every shot of theirs, by the time that he was healthy and in great shape for Franklin his chin was gone and so it was for naught :(

Back