Ken Shamrock was in the wrong time

Thank god I was too lazy to update my profile picture. Been waiting years for another Ken Shamrock thread.

Ken would be the one with gyms named after him all over the world and not the gracies if jiu jitsu went to the USA first instead of Brazil, if there were judges in his second fight with Royce, and if the ref saw Royce knee Ken in the nuts in their third fight. In an alternative universe, kids gi up in Lions Den attire and not Gracie Barra.

115475-42_01.jpg

In the entire world?
Worlds most dangerous confirmed.

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 8.43.49 PM.png

It's tough to say how Ken would fair on todays mma scene. I think he would be a top 10 guy at 205lbs but I don't see him reaching the belt in the UFC. He was and still is a tough guy durable guy, but I don't think his technique, striking or raw strength would be enough to get that UFC crown in todays mma.

Ken Shamrock's style was archaic by 2002. I can't even imagine how it'd be today lmfao. He was really meant to win in an era where drug testing was non-existent, fighters were far more likely to be one-dimensional and most still had a minimal understanding of the ground game. He capitalized on that. Once fighters gained a general modicum of well-roundedness, he became old very quickly haha.

Ken Shamrock's style was archaic by 2002. I can't even imagine how it'd be today lmfao. He was really meant to win in an era where drug testing was non-existent, fighters were far more likely to be one-dimensional and most still had a minimal understanding of the ground game. He capitalized on that. Once fighters gained a general modicum of well-roundedness, he became old very quickly haha.
Gotta start somewhere. Half the NBA players back in the day wouldn't make it to the NBA now. Games change. Tht being said Ken wasn't the best for guys who didn't know anything.

Dumb, hindsight analysis based answer to a troll post. Ken was a pioneer of the sport. When he beat Severn in 1995, he was the best fighter on the planet. If he'd never come back to MMA after pro wrestling, he'd be regarded as a legend and there would be a lot of "what if he kept fighting" questions. Literally no one was well-rounded like a 2021 fighter in the early 1990s so "one-dimensional" is a moot point. There was no drug testing in the early UFC, so everything you said regarding Ken applies to every Pride fighter as well.

Last edited:
Once fighters gained a general modicum of well-roundedness, he became old very quickly haha.

Not true at all. The sport didn't "pass him by", he took his 4 prime years off to do pro wrestling. When he came back he wasn't nearly as good. Four years of fake fighting will do that to you, especially when you try to come back at age 36.

He was great, then he got old and out of practice in real fighting. At his peak he would have been good in any pre-USADA era

Same thing happened to Don Frye, another great fighter who got steroid-bloated and out of practice doing WWE (actually NJPW ok). Came back and was a PED-bloated shadow of his former self.

Not true at all. The sport didn't "pass him by", he took his 4 prime years off to do pro wrestling. When he came back he wasn't nearly as good. Four years of fake fighting will do that to you, especially when you try to come back at age 36.

He was great, then he got old and out of practice in real fighting. At his peak he would have been good in any pre-USADA era

Same thing happened to Don Frye, another great fighter who got steroid-bloated and out of practice doing WWE. Came back and was a PED-bloated shadow of his former self.
Good point. Fair enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back