Ken Shamrock on UFC uniforms: "The fighters are going to get zero"

The person who broke the story and has the most information on it has repeatedly stated that a) fighters will get a cut from it that will be more than what they were getting from sponsors and b) fighters will still have slots for sponsors.

The guys who stand to lose are the dudes getting five figure contracts from big name sponsors, not the prelim underling who is getting a $500 check from Dynamic Fastener.

2014+or+1984.jpg

Edit: Where did my Vcash go to?

There was another Purge about 2 weeks ago, everyone's reset to 500 v-bucks for Season 3. There are also tighter rules (no hedging, less parlays, etc).

On the topic of the thread, MMA fighters are underpaid, and Ken is disgruntled. He may have very valid points to make, but it's difficult to take his words at face value.

A. The UFC and Nike have both sponsored fighters, if you don't think they paid out more than most other sponsers, you're crazy. Having each and every fighter sponsored by both the UFC and whatever major apparel company will be HUGE for them, especially the smaller guys.
and B. There will still be room for OTHER sponsers. This has been stated already.

This. People are so retarded, they said uniforms won't be used until they get a major sponsor deal, I think they mentioned Under Armor and Nike.

Then all fighters will be sponsored by this big company and then you can ADD sponsors to all the extra space. Kind of like a Nascar car with one main sponsor on it's side, but they always have a ton more minor sponsorships placed all over.

In short, every fighter is going to make more money because they can still use their current sponsors while also being payed by a main-major company.

But most people will ignore this and keep saying how UFC is evil.

The race car analogy makes sense. It would seem like the big sponsored guys (bones, belfort, GSP) that have major sponsors would be losing out on their big sponsors in place of this one, that may be a competitor of their original sponsor.

Mighty Mouse comes to mind. If I remember correctly, he only ever wears xbox stuff. If he has to have Nike or something front and center, xbox might be less willing to pay him as much for a less prominent spot. But for prelim guys that get sponsors like the local tire shop, this may help a lot.

Until this whole "uniform" thing actually happens, I think people should stop getting all riled up about it. No one knows shit, really.

Ken has a point, the fighters will be getting screwed.. Greedy UFC!

are the uniforms out already? how does ken know the deal?

HungerGamesContestants.jpg

the_hunger_games_021.jpg

The future of the UFC, everybody wears the same thing and fights eachother.

Welcome to the Ultimate Fighting Games.

Would not mind if two fighters gas out in the third round and Condom Depot throws one fighter a brick and BudLight throws the other fight a glass bottle.

He is right, how the hell is that going to be a step in "upping fighter pay" lol?

Uncle Dana ? I thought you shut down the internet forums
Welcome back I guess..

obviously taking sponsorship money away from the fighters and giving it to the UFC would help fighters make more.

That trickle down economics, son.
You don't seriously believe this do you?

You're dumb.

You're a idiot

I like how none of you have been able to back up anything that you said or anything that you disbelieved that I said. I also like how none of you bothered to respond to my post on the second page, where I at least explained myself in an intelligent manner. You can all go kick rocks. Especially the last guy; next time you try to insult somebody on the internet, especially when questioning their intelligence, you should try using correct grammar.

I don't see how this could possibly help any of the fighters. The UFC doesn't have to pay the undercard fighters more, because they're the only show in town. What are the fighters going to do? Quit and go to Bellator for even less money? Marquee fighters of course would make more by working directly with sponsors. The UFC has every business reason to control all sources of fighter income, tilting the balance of power further in their favor. That's what it is; no bones about it.

As for Ken, I think he's aged quite gracefully considering his terrible timing and the way he's been shafted. Compare him to Tito, who also isn't retired on the UFC dime (a la Chuck). At least Ken isn't as widely hated.

People defend ufc pay by saying they get sponsor money. This move looks to limit this which will make pay even worse. Makes no sense.

A. The UFC and Nike have both sponsored fighters, if you don't think they paid out more than most other sponsers, you're crazy. Having each and every fighter sponsored by both the UFC and whatever major apparel company will be HUGE for them, especially the smaller guys.
and B. There will still be room for OTHER sponsers. This has been stated already.

A. Why on EARTH would the UFC give a cut of the sponsorship money to smaller-named fighters? Literally everything about fighter pay is dictated by demand/profitability calculus. What makes you think the UFC would adopt some Commie redistribution scheme? Goodness of Dana's heart?

B. The sponsorship deals will all be outside the cage. For a low-profile fighter with no name/face recognition outside of the cage, this effectively limits all lucrative sponsorship opportunities until the fighter becomes famous, which may be years, but probably never. Meanwhile, the UFC will make millions.

C. The UFC has every legal right to require its competitors to wear uniforms, and to control advertising space on those uniforms, and to collect revenue for that advertising space. Is it right? That's another story. Personally, I think it's downright evil considering most fighters make less than full-time baristas.

At best this takes money out of lesser known fighters' pockets and helps the marquee talents... at best.

As if it wasn't enough that pretty much all fights look the same nowadays.

Back