Kelvin Gastelum just a fat welterweight???

He literally is a fat WW. Its his natural weightclass. He's also an elite MW. He can be both things.
But the fact that he's an "elite MW" means he's not "just a fat WW" as some people say to discredit him as a contender.

But the fact that he's an "elite MW" means he's not "just a fat WW" as some people say to discredit him as a contender.

Except for all the anecdotal evidence from trainers and teammates, and of KG himself that he has little willpower or self-control with his eating habits. He might have been a WW champ by now had he taken his dieting seriously. Even at WW he wasn't the biggest guy there, or the most cut.

He is Pig Rigg if Pig Rigg had a little more self-control.

He could go back down to 170 if he was more disciplined with his diet. If Darren Till can make 170 so can Kelvin. He will always come up short (no pun intended) at 185 because he's giving up height and reach against most of the top guys.

His natural weightclass is welterweight. He's overweight in comparison to other fighters. Just like DC at heavyweight is a fat light heavyweight.

The first and only wrestler Kelvin fought at middleweight, Weidman, took him down and choked him out in the third round. It was clearly because Kelvin was undersized.

Pretty absurd. Kelvin went to a razor thin split decision with Tyron Woodley, who was on his championship run. In fact, Woodley would KO Robbie to win the belt in his very next fight, and not lose for four years.

Kelvin looked good against retiring old farts at Middleweight. He's fought 3 peers still active in the division. Two of them beat him and one he eeked past with a controversial split decision.

He could be champion at 170lbs with a diet program, but he's a middle of the pack top 10 guy at 185.

I think you missed the point of my post. I never said that hasn't been successful at 170 or 155 or couldn't be champ in the future. Everybody knows he would automatically be a top contender despite his losses to Woodley and Magny. The main thing is that he hasn't been able to show a great speed advantage in either of those fights, but he has at middleweight and that has been the main key to his success.

The Weidman fight is the only fight that he was out grappled and finished. Weidman is the biggest and best offensive wrestler/grappler in the division (Yoel rarely uses his wrestling). Kelvin did not have the same problems with Jacare or Kennedy, who are both big skilled middleweight grapplers.

Any admission that he could fight at lower weight classes, especially lightweight like i said, is a clear understanding that he is an undersized middleweight.

TS is probably fat as fuck, posting in haste and jiggling his way to work with a Crispy Creme in his mouth

Gastelum is fat, period. He’s shorter than Rogan. (not many MMA fighters are shorter than Rogan eve the FWs) and he has small bones which means his fit body weight is prob below 170. He’s a good fighter but his losses are because of his size, no way around it

TS is probably fat as fuck, posting in haste and jiggling his way to work with a Crispy Creme in his mouth

Gastelum is fat, period. He’s shorter than Rogan. (not many MMA fighters are shorter than Rogan eve the FWs) and he has small bones which means his fit body weight is prob below 170. He’s a good fighter but his losses are because of his size, no way around it
Fuck you BITCH. I'm a flyweight.

Meh. We’ll see what he does. Could be he likes living a grand life > committing to being the best. If so, kudos to him.

I wonder how it would go if he moved to Thailand and ate nothing and trained all day every day, like Mike Swick and Matt Brown did. He might dominate 155!

Anyone still saying this after Saturday is either slow, or doesn't watch fights. Hell I was confused at people saying it before Saturday. I'm trying to be nice today so I don't want to call anyone an idiot but open your eyes. No time for am analysis. I have to go to work but I'm sure another very smart sherdogger will break it down until get a break.

Another thing this shows is a common sherdog hypocrisy. You people LOOOVVE fat ass heavyweights and detest weight cutters, but then turn around and shit on Kelvin for fighting comfortably.

the only one doing that are loser trolls.

The main thing is that he hasn't been able to show a great speed advantage in either of those fights, but he has at middleweight and that has been the main key to his success.

This is flat out wrong. He looked fast compared to old, retiring fighters. Arguably he looked fast next to Weidman, who is fairly slow and nearing the end of his career himself. Because Kelvin is undersized, however, Weidman still took him down and choked him out.

Woodley is absurdly faster than middleweights and Kelvin looked just fine, competing with the second most accomplished welterweight of all time and the top of this generation.

The Weidman fight is the only fight that he was out grappled and finished.

This is a silly way of saying "literally the only wrestler he faced at middleweight."

Weidman is the biggest and best offensive wrestler/grappler in the division (Yoel rarely uses his wrestling).

This is demonstrably wrong.

Kelvin did not have the same problems with Jacare or Kennedy, who are both big skilled middleweight grapplers.

Kennedy had not fought in TWO YEARS, and retired immediately after his fight with Kelvin. Verbatim, he said he didn't have the physical capability of competing anymore at that level.

Jacare is nearly 40, well outside his prime, and it still went to a gritty razor thin controversial decision.

Kelvin is woefully undersized at middleweight, which is why he can only beat old farts. He can win some against mid-tier guys, but you are going to watch him get his face horrifically punched in like we did last weekend or choked out like he did with Weidman if he sticks around fighting his peers.

He's a special talent, so good he can just hang in there in a division he doesn't have the size for.

I mean, you CAN be skilled and fat. No doubt he has weight issues. He could increase functional body mass and do even better. At least we know he's clean, lol.

Kelvin is a straight beast of a fighter. I wouldn't call him fat chubby or any other ridiculous name. The dude is powerful strong and he's not even in his prime yet

Back