Kelvin Gastelum just a fat welterweight???

Kelvin is an exception to the rules because of his amazing durability/speed/defensive wrestling.

A lean Kelvin is a lightweight. That being said, fighting at middleweight gives him a huge speed advantage over all middleweights and having good enough wrestling to prevent the bigger guys from dominating him with size is a perfect storm for success. Even Style Bender had problems with Kelvin's speed and could only overcome it with an enormous length/reach advantage. But...all of this wouldn't matter if he didn't have his insane durability that allows him to fight without fear against the big boys.

Fighting at welterweight or lightweight severely limits his main advantage, which is speed.

DC is a fat featherweight, and even if he fought at his natural weight class, he still would be at reach disadvantage

If you can't make Welterweight, you're not a Welterweight.

Anyone still saying this after Saturday is either slow, or doesn't watch fights. Hell I was confused at people saying it before Saturday. I'm trying to be nice today so I don't want to call anyone an idiot but open your eyes. No time for am analysis. I have to go to work but I'm sure another very smart sherdogger will break it down until get a break.

Another thing this shows is a common sherdog hypocrisy. You people LOOOVVE fat ass heavyweights and detest weight cutters, but then turn around and shit on Kelvin for fighting comfortably.

however well he did saturday night...he's still a WW...he simply doesn't have the will power or ability to stick to a well balanced diet...he simply enjoys eating too much...even at MW, he is soft...he is clearly a WW...but is simply unwilling to do what he has to do...so he competes at MW..for his lack of discipline.

what is the Gasman's position on this?

he obviously wanted to fight WW. UFC forcing him to 185 after missing weight.

I don't know if he has said anything about his preference going forward

Kelvin doesnt have much reach thats about it if he new how to use the reach he had in the fight he wouldve won he needs to strike with taller longer reach guys and get used to it.

Kelvin lost to Weidman and Izzy because he was woefully undersized.

He can beat retiring old timers like Kennedy and Bisping, but he'll come up short when he's up against elite peers.

If the divisions shifted to 155, 165, 175 he would most certainly be wise to move down. He can make welterweight and has the frame for it but its a food discipline problem with him.

His doppelganger, Nasrat Haqparast, fights at 155. Again, he's like an identical twin. Shocking that Kelvin can't make 170 regularly.

Kelvin doesnt have much reach thats about it if he new how to use the reach he had in the fight he wouldve won he needs to strike with taller longer reach guys and get used to it.

Please list the height and reach of his sparring partners in the camp leading up to UFC 236.

Most Sherdoggers worship fighters based on their looks so yeah, he's not going to get as much love as he could.

DC is a fat featherweight, and even if he fought at his natural weight class, he still would be at reach disadvantage
notsureifsrs.jpg

style bender just barely made it out alive with gastelum, whatever gastelum is doing, its working, keep doing it

both of those dudes will be scary from here on out. both went to places where the air is very thin.

Kinda like how DC is a fat HW

Kelvin is a beast MW. We need to revisit how not draining yourself to make weight plays an impact in a fighters performance

Not the same. At HW ... DC can be fat but use that to his advantage by weighing MORE than his opponent.

At MW ... or any weight class thats not HW ... being fat is a disadvantage because your opponent weights the same as you do but with efficient lean mass instead of fat.

Kelvin has no business fighting at mw.

fighting at middleweight gives him a huge speed advantage over all middleweights and having good enough wrestling to prevent the bigger guys from dominating him with size

The first and only wrestler Kelvin fought at middleweight, Weidman, took him down and choked him out in the third round. It was clearly because Kelvin was undersized.

Fighting at welterweight or lightweight severely limits his main advantage, which is speed.

Pretty absurd. Kelvin went to a razor thin split decision with Tyron Woodley, who was on his championship run. In fact, Woodley would KO Robbie to win the belt in his very next fight, and not lose for four years.

Kelvin looked good against retiring old farts at Middleweight. He's fought 3 peers still active in the division. Two of them beat him and one he eeked past with a controversial split decision.

He could be champion at 170lbs with a diet program, but he's a middle of the pack top 10 guy at 185.

Anyone still saying this after Saturday is either slow, or doesn't watch fights. Hell I was confused at people saying it before Saturday. I'm trying to be nice today so I don't want to call anyone an idiot but open your eyes. No time for am analysis. I have to go to work but I'm sure another very smart sherdogger will break it down until get a break.

Another thing this shows is a common sherdog hypocrisy. You people LOOOVVE fat ass heavyweights and detest weight cutters, but then turn around and shit on Kelvin for fighting comfortably.

He literally is a fat WW. Its his natural weightclass. He's also an elite MW. He can be both things.

Back