Kellyanne Conway Would Be A Feminist Hero If She Were A Democrat

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Kellyanne Conway Would Be A Feminist Hero If She Were A Democrat
    By Julie Kelly
    December 1, 2016

[​IMG]

She's a lawyer, pollster, and business owner. She's a mom of four, and a self-made woman. Why do feminists ignore her? Oh, that's right—she's Republican.

If you’re a woman still anguishing over “what to tell our daughters” about the 2016 election, I suggest you point to Kellyanne Conway: the first woman to run a successful presidential campaign. This smart, tough, cool mom of four was the winning campaign manager for the most brutal presidential race in history—and she kept a steely smile on her face the whole time. She’s now poised to become either White House press secretary, or the most sought-after political consultant in the world.

After taking the helm of the listless Trump campaign in August, Conway helped shape a more disciplined candidate, with a message focused on a stronger economy and national defense. Conway is like the pretty brainiac who tamed the school jock, got him to shut up in class, and made him carry her books. Hell, she even got him to study once in a while. She’s the kind of example I want for my own daughters on how to handle an egotistical, sometimes boorish male boss: with firmness, class, and calm.

But Conway didn’t just take on Trump. She faced down an antagonistic, male-dominated media that had declared war acting as a de facto arm of the Clinton campaign. One of the few bright spots leading up to Election Day was watching political commentators lose their cool and credibility trying to rile Conway. It didn’t work (and still isn’t). This lawyer, pollster, and business owner should be the new hero of the post-feminism era: a super mom who rose to the top of her field and is now, unquestionably, the most influential woman in Washington.

Why Don’t Feminists Love Conway?

But modern-day feminists are still wringing out their “I’m With Her” crying towels and snubbing Conway’s historic victory because, well, she’s a Republican.

Without any sense of irony, they ignore the achievements of a self-made woman (Conway), while lamenting the loss of a candidate who earned fame and power largely because of her husband. If she were a Democrat, Conway would be the toast of women’s groups across the country, feted in the media, splashed across the pages of Vogue and Cosmo. She would be touted as a future candidate herself. Maybe even Lena Dunham would’ve thrown out a tweet or two after her Election Night shower-cry.

But I suspect there’s even more to this than partisan politics. After all, you can’t accuse a man of misogyny—which literally means “hatred of women”—if he puts a female in charge of the riskiest, most important endeavor of his life. Trump can’t be a sexist pig who hates women if he fires two men and replaces them with a woman, right? Acknowledging, even celebrating, Conway’s success would undermine that entire plotline.

Conway Undermined Trump’s Misogynist Image

The Trump-is-a-misogynist meme was the cornerstone of Clinton’s campaign message: a Google search of “Trump” plus “misogynist” yields 579,000 results—not counting the approximately five billion tweets making the same accusation.

The day of the election, The Telegraph UK published a lengthy list of allegedly sexist Trumpisms dating back to the 1980s. Some were not bad (in 1994, he said he gets mad if dinner isn’t on the table when he gets home, so what did that make my grandfather). Many were cringe-worthy—particularly remarks he made as a guest on the Howard Stern show, perhaps one of Trump’s worst judgment calls of all time. Some were downright slap-worthy, and nothing you would want to hear from your husband or son or boss. But when people put a microphone in front of your face for three decades, you’re bound to have to live down a trove of dumb comments.

But raw, even offensive remarks do not a misogynist make. Yet the pearl clutching by the female left went into overdrive after Trump was elected, with women weeping and fearing for their daughters—as if Trump is a one-man Boko Haram ready to swipe them out of their classrooms and turn them into drink cart girls.

Now that President-Elect Trump is appointing women to key posts such as UN Ambassador, Secretary of Education, and Deputy National Security Advisor, their anger is rising rather than abating. If anything, this election has further revealed the hypocrisy of the left—particularly modern-day feminists—who despite all their talk of empowerment, are now exposed as a weak and whiny sisterhood of victims.

So what do we tell our daughters? Be less like Lena and more like Kellyanne.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/12/01...ld-be-a-feminist-hero-if-she-were-a-democrat/

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    VitorReem, glennrod, Space and 10 others like this.
  2. Arkain2K

Feminists’ mom-shaming of Kellyanne Conway is out of control
    By Andrea Peyser
    December 16, 2016​

[​IMG]

Watch out, women of America. The feminocracy is trying to keep us in our places.

When The Donald’s campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, 49 — the first female in history to run a successful presidential campaign — dared to suggest last week that she’s reluctant to accept a full-time position in the Trump administration in order to better perform her important duties as mother to four children, ages 7 through 12, an anti-Conway campaign was launched by buttinsky feminists.

They saw fit to bash Conway for making her family her No. 1 priority, and expressed a level of outrage that reveals a disheartening kind of reverse sexism.

Perhaps the weirdest Conway condemnation was posted on Refinery29 by Lindsey Stanberry, who attempted to out-mommy the mommy she believes is discouraging gals from working themselves into early graves.

“I woke up at 5 a.m. today,’’ Stanberry writes. “Before 6 a.m. I had breast-fed my 3-month-old baby, changed two very poopy diapers, eaten breakfast, and started a load of laundry. By 9, I had been at my desk for an hour, sent several emails, edited a story, read the morning news, and pumped three ounces of breast milk.’’

Then this patronizing bit: “It’s totally fine if Conway wants to make her children her top priority right now. . . . But it seems as if Conway doesn’t think that any mother should be working in the White House.’’ Rubbish.

No mention as to whether the writer has a husband, partner, domestic employee, friend or relative to help feed, bathe and change her child’s very poopy diapers.

The mom-shaming is out of control. And it’s practiced mainly by women on the left, although Washington Post political columnist (paywall) Dana Milbank (a guy) asserted that Conway is “playing the woman card.’’

Critics seem to be attempting to pigeonhole women as proverbial barefoot, pregnant kitchen-dwellers, or working warriors. Never both.

To me, that’s not only unfair — it’s profoundly sexist.

Feminism, I was led to believe, is about expanding opportunities for women, and that includes the perhaps unsexy choice of staying home with the children. But somewhere on the road to the White House — filled with 24-hour work days and stomach ulcers — a woman’s decision to be a parent first and a careeroholic second is taken as a mortal threat to the sisterhood.

Conway’s comments came during the misleadingly named “Women Rule Summit’’ put on by Politico, Google and the Tory Burch Foundation in Washington, DC. There, the political pollster and campaign strategist described conversations she’s had with male colleagues: “I do politely mention to them the question isn’t would you take the job, the male sitting across from me who’s going to take a big job in the White House. The question is would you want your wife to,” Conway said.

“You really see their entire visage change. It’s like — oh, no, they wouldn’t want their wife to take that job.”

That is, she said, some men may discourage their wives from taking on high-powered careers. She exposed a home-front truth.

But Conway, who is married to a full-time litigator in a prestigious law firm, never said her husband expected her not to work or to labor less. Nor did she predict the Trump White House would be closed to women and mothers. Quite the opposite.

“It’s a great time to be a woman in America,” she said, encouraging women to “go for it’’ and “ask for what we think we deserve.’’

She just suggested that it wasn’t right for her. “My children are 12, 12, 8 and 7, which is bad idea, bad idea, bad idea, bad idea for Mom going inside,” she said. “They have to come first, and those are very fraught ages.”

Conway has not shut the door on playing any part in the Trump administration. She said she intends to stay on as an adviser, a role she has already moved into.

If women are to achieve true equality, their choices must be respected — whether it’s to serve in a high-pressure job or put one foot on the mommy track.

It’s her choice.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/16/feminists-mom-shaming-of-kellyanne-conway-is-out-of-control/

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    VitorReem, glennrod, Dr J and 3 others like this.
  3. Arkain2K

Kellyanne Conway Fights Back Against Her Feminist Critics
    By Matthew Wisner
    December 16, 2016​

After becoming the first woman to successfully run a presidential campaign, Trump Transition Team Senior Advisor Kellyanne Conway has weighed whether to continue alongside Trump after he assumes office, or turn her focus to family, including her four young children.

But that decision has fueled a backlash on social media. Conway explained on FOX Business Network’s Varney & Co. Friday that people are attacking her on social media because of her hesitation to accept a role in President-elect Donald Trump’s administration.

“I thought that women were a product of their choices and that’s what I’m trying to do here privately and quietly find the best balance for my family,” Conway told the FOX Business Network’s Stuart Varney.

Conway took issue with the motives behind the attacks, saying the criticisms are from people who judge her political views and not her ability to be a mother.

“A lot of them who have attacked me are either childless interns born in the 1990s…or I noticed women who have cats as their Twitter pictures, so I’m not going to really just lose my mind over people attacking me in a 140 characters, I can assure you that,” she said.

Still, Conway said her mind isn’t made up just yet, and left the door open to a possible position within the administration.

“Maybe I will go into the administration because I know Donald Trump and my husband are very supportive of that choice as well,” she said.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...fights-back-against-her-feminist-critics.html

VitorReem, glennrod, Dr J and 3 others like this.
  4. Gazwald

Gazwald Banned Banned

Never heard of her tbh.

[​IMG]

Was she in Def Leopard?

5. Pwent

Pwent Guest

Good point, I also didn't see feminist leaders backing Carly fiorina

glennrod, Dr J and Fight To Win like this.
  6. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

Trump needs to put her name up on the side of one of his gaudy buildings in pure gold 30 foot tall letters cause she's the foundation that kept his power tower from crumbling into the dirty.

7. jamesmiller14

jamesmiller14 Hoosier Daddy

She's a MILF.

Probably hotter today than when she was younger but I would like to find out.

VitorReem and glennrod like this.
  8. jamesmiller14

jamesmiller14 Hoosier Daddy

If he lost he would still be selling hotel rooms and dede loping construction projects. Being famous for being rich.

No one's tower was ever in danger of crumbling.

9. Rockapotomuss

Rockapotomuss Woke Based Poster

Feminism is not about being female. It's a mindset.

ncordless likes this.
  10. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

Neo-feminists have a worldview and an agenda. Conway is not a supporter of said agenda and worldview. Why should these feminists therefore be expected to sing her praises or consider her a "hero"?

We should instead expect them to either ignore or criticize her. Which is exactly what we have seen.

The article's premise is stupid.

Happiness and Gandhi like this.
  11. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

I meant his political campaign. Guess my allusion was too vague.

jamesmiller14 likes this.
  12. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

When I first saw her I assumed she was in her early 60's.

Pretty shocked to later learn she is 49. Guess being a "have it all" kinda gal takes its toll.

Gazwald likes this.
  13. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

This is a legitimate critique of certain feminists who refuse to treat women who prefer the role of mother to laborer as equal in their struggle. It's not unique to Conway, she just happens to be a high profile example.

The Trump stuff I see differently. She defended everything he said and some of it was indeed cringe-worthy. If she's going to defend the cringe-worthy stuff, rather than take a stand against it because it's her job, that's fine professionally but it does mean that she can't go back to the feminism side of the table after it's done.

It's no different from those women who complain about being objectified but dress more provocatively to help advance their career under the "use what you got" rubric.

14. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

Or maybe her flavor of feminisim isn't as militant and extroverted as others. She's projected a image of strength, professionalism and success which are all worthy role model qualities. Maybe she doesn't see anything said by someone else as reflective of her own qualities or personal opinions or something to personally take offense at unless directed at her specifically. But that's all speculation of course.

Do you believe that women who claim to be feminists must support other women, or that they can be feminist by simply setting a personal example of their own achievements?

Arkain2K likes this.
  15. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think that there are certain foundational principles that feminists should agree on. It doesn't haven't anything to do with being a woman.

Beyond that I'm not sure which part of my post you were referring to since I made 2 different points with disparate opinions on aspects of feminism..

Arkain2K likes this.
  16. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

I was writing to the 2nd part. As to foundational principles, I would guess then that you believe someone can't manifest portions of an ideal or movement or interpret that movement in their own manner and still legitimately consider themselves supporters?

I'll use an exaggerated example: Catholicism takes a pointedly dim view of homosexuality, and yet there are homosexuals that practice Catholicism up to the point of actually forswearing their homosexuality. Because they remain homosexuals does that in fact mean they are not Catholics? If they are stirling examples of Catholic principles up to that point does that mean the example they may present in all other aspects are invalidated?

17. Gazwald

Gazwald Banned Banned

Pour some sugar on meeeEEEEEEeeeeee! Is all I can think of. Just typical male hair metal 80s dude who did more than his fair share of alcohol and drugs.

18. IppoMakanuchi

IppoMakanuchi Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

She's a professional shill. Regardless of what ism you subscribe to you should have a negative opinion of her.

Happiness and ultramanhyata like this.
  19. spin

spin Gold Belt Platinum Member

"After taking the helm of the listless Trump campaign in August"

Eh?

Anyone following the election closely support this claim?

Also, do we think this election was won from August to November, and more because of campaigning from Trump rather than negative reveals for Clinton?

Limbo Pete likes this.
  20. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

Then the same should be said of everyone in both campaigns.

Happiness likes this.