Keith Owen shows Kimura from the Guard counter Video

I think all this arguin may be that black belts are not what they use to be so evrybody questions them, at my school, Rickson, it takes like 10 years to get black regardless of how good u r (i guess rickson feels like these 5 yr blacks may be missing some points)

i guess im just use to that when i see a blackbelt, i feel i dont even need to question anything this guy says because he knows way more than me, and all the blackbelts at from my school, when they roll with someone lower, it is like they r treating them like a baby, i do not question these great men!!

agreed but i train alot, I MUST LEARN IT ALL!!!!!! maybe low percentage but it could save your life even if it to just escape and not get submission

Learning it all, and being able to apply it all are 2 totally different stories. Too many techniques is bad for you.

I think all this arguin may be that black belts are not what they use to be so evrybody questions them, at my school, Rickson, it takes like 10 years to get black regardless of how good u r (i guess rickson feels like these 5 yr blacks may be missing some points)

i guess im just use to that when i see a blackbelt, i feel i dont even need to question anything this guy says because he knows way more than me, and all the blackbelts at from my school, when they roll with someone lower, it is like they r treating them like a baby, i do not question these great men!!

Im not quite sure on your point, just to clarify, are you suggesting people in general do not show black belts respect or that Keith Owen hasnt deserved the respect of a Gracie-like black belt and thus deserves this criticism?

agreed but i train alot, I MUST LEARN IT ALL!!!!!! maybe low percentage but it could save your life even if it to just escape and not get submission

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it is bad to know or that there is anything wrong with drilling it a few times and trying it out in live rolling from time to time. I just would not spend any significant amount of time on the move nor would I worry about it if I never got the move to work.

I think that he is just showing an option. IMHO it would be better if he showed the regular counter (kimura counter to the guy tying to kimura you) then showed how you can transition to this technique and then transition into the back. Think that it being on the submission 101 page might have turned peple against it...

You're missing the point. Just because Keith Owen says to do it doesn't mean you should. Just look at the technique critically and evaluate it based on its principles. You can't just take a guy's word for something because he's a black belt.

If you want to keep going with the just take a black belt's word for it line of reasoning, I can guarantee you that there a lot of black belts with a lot more international medals than Keith Owen ever won who would not recommend training that particular counter. Does that mean I shouldn't even watch it? No, it just means that I need to evaluate the technique independently of the source based solely on its merits.

Honestly I don't even have a problem with the technique. I think it's fine as an occasional secondary option. I wouldn't use it as a primary option. I doubt it was even intended as such anyway.

Once again, well explained.

i love how u guys hate me so much, evrything i say, its the same 3 sayin i dont know shit

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it is bad to know or that there is anything wrong with drilling it a few times and trying it out in live rolling from time to time. I just would not spend any significant amount of time on the move nor would I worry about it if I never got the move to work.

i agree, with my jiu jitsu i dont really focus on techniques to practice, the only time i train a technique is when we r doing technique drills during class, open mat i just decide if im gonna go to guard or play top

yea u all know me as a guard puller hater but we r midget wrestling, i think once i get my purple, i will start training judo my tachi-waza sucks

There's nothing wrong with this technique. There some some things that I would have emphasized more than he did, but it's a decent technique. Those of you convinced you're just going to roll up into mount are fooling yourselves.

There are some minor issues I have with the way he's showing it, but with some minor adjustments it's a perfectly valid technique.

Im not quite sure on your point, just to clarify, are you suggesting people in general do not show black belts respect or that Keith Owen hasnt deserved the respect of a Gracie-like black belt and thus deserves this criticism?

i respect them, it's people in general, with all these promotions like rashad, some would say gsp, and etc.

oh i respect blackbelts, they r scary

for the sentece i bolded, isnt ko a black under pedro sauer, who is a rickson black, i never criticized him, im tryin to defend him, haha

Learning it all, and being able to apply it all are 2 totally different stories. Too many techniques is bad for you.

Exactly. Spend 1,000 hours training on a/not getting into a kimura in the guard b/posturing and nullifying guard attacks and breaking guard. If you want to expose yourself to something, cool, but if you're only going to drill it a few times, it'll never work against somebody good in competition, especially if it's a low percentage move that you don't train often. No one sees even a small amount of kimuras from the guard in the brown and black belt ranks at bigger tournaments. Why is that? It's because the answer is a lot more simple than the instruction in the video.

if you pin the leg down in time I don't see getting mounted all that easily from there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back