Keith Owen shows Kimura from the Guard counter Video

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by boisefireman, Jul 10, 2010.

1. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

this is an old video but very good, IMO

2. Pahlavan**

Pahlavan** White Belt

very nice move man, thanks

3. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

I'm a giver. Keith Told me he got this move from the Great Craig Kukuk. First American BJJ Black Belt.

4. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Cool, thanks.

5. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I use that counter but just from the guard.

there is no need flaten your left leg to slide to the side.

When they demonstrate the kimura, attacker has his right leg locked high like an omoplata. but they do the defense his leg is down which let Keith escape and slide.

At 1.56, I really do not think it is a good idea at all.

6. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

cuz when he grabs his belt to defend it blocks the leg from comin up, people listen to the blackbelt, what belt r u, just curious

7. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I clearly explained that I do not think giving position to counter the kimura is needed as you can counter the kimura from the guard instead.

My problem is giving up the position.

Why just hold your belt and slide to the side and then you have to block his left leg from coming in top? Is it just going against the principle of position before submission?

While you could just hold your other hand and cranck his kimura as a counter instead.

I am just interested in talking BJJ techniques.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  8. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

seems like a pretty good idea but whenever slaps a kimura on me, they keep their guard pretty tight. another thing bothering me is that he just assumes the guy won't follow you to the mount immediately - i mean if someone sits down like that when i have a kimura locked on them i'll be in the mount a long time before they can pull their legs out and block me.

obviously owen is a great grappler and this isn't a knock on him since i'm worthless in skill compared to him, but i can't really say i like this technique.

9. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Can't he just take the back instead as he's beginning to give up half guard?

10. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

I agree with lechien. I see a high risk of getting mounted if you employ this escape, especially since a lot of people use the kimura from guard as a means to hit the sweep in the first place.

11. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I also think that this technique is probably high risk to employ all the time. Most competent opponents will probably be able to get the mount.

However, I like the concept of catching the guy off guard by reversing his kimura. I don't think it will work that often, but when the guy gets lazy it seems like a nice option.

So I don't think it's suited as a main defense, but just as an option to have every now and then, I'm glad I watched it.

12. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

The reason for the roll is probably to give a little easier angle to finish the reversed kimura. But I do agree with you that it is risky and very likely to just result in you being mounted instead.

It certainly violates position before submission, although I am inclined to violate that myself every now and then if I see a nice opportunity. Overall, I am a very big proponent of position before submission, but occasionally I think some exceptions do come up.

13. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

just because u go to your side doesnt give the guy an easy mount, they guy's arm is trapped underneath u, he cant just pop to mount

14. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

also when u go to side you have to escape hips out, its not like u r gonna do this in slow motion, once u get your hips out, it should make the mount alot harder for opponent, i see this resulting in a scramble possibly but if u r tight im sure u can get the submission

15. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

I like the back take as a counter to the kimura or kimura sweep, but I never managed to get it once I've already fallen to my side. In my case, once I've given up top position the top guy gets the mount 9 times out of 10.

16. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Well you can make it you go to kimura escape, but I think there are safer options. Also nothing prevents the guy from going to mount until you hip escape out and block him from coming on top by placing you leg on top.

17. batman69

batman69 Purple Belt

i don't like it, seems like way too much work when there is a defense that is way less risky and way less effort.

18. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

This.

Thats my defense. Besides not putting my hand on the mat.

If his guard is that open, why not step over the leg, and go into halfguard and transition to the back?

And the rest of the technique in the video, i dont know... Im a bit skeptical. I would just like to see him explain it in person. Maybe then ill see what im missing.

But it looks to me, that despite the guard player(A) having his arm trapped, when top player(B) rolls to the side, i dont see how player A couldnt upa up and hip out to land in top half guard.

Just seems like im missing something...

19. OrcishFighter

OrcishFighter Blue Belt

thats what I was taught. If you react fast you can take the back. My professor often bait ppl into the kimura so he can try this.

20. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

i don't know how high percentage this will be, it might be just something you can pull off on new/sucky guys that make them go "wtf?"