Keith Owen shows great guard break and pass video

Totally taught and worked this technique last night. He's spot-on about it being tough to do on larger opponents, and some guys with great hip strength/flexibility.

This guard break is nasty in no-gi, opens up quick and tight leglock opportunities.

Tried the move today.
Got caught in an omoplata set up both times. First time I got out of the omoplata, second time I got swept.

I think that it is a really good guard opening, especially against newer guys who just lock their guard and hold on for dear life. This stuff will open it for sure. Against better guys, you risk that omoplata.

I'd think that there are two things that would address the omoplata.
1. Try to pin the opponent's leg as close to his knee with your body and your thigh so he can't rotate for the omoplata.
Or
2. Be really fast on bringing your other leg/ knee up and stepping over so they can't cut the angle for the omoplata.

Boise, any input from Keith on this? Anybody else? Bill?

62931_453795372224_758317224_4908043_3082146_n.jpg

I tried this a couple times last week. First time, having the knee up set up a nice pendulum sweep for the other guy, and the second I was putting most of my weight on the lower knee, inviting a scissor sweep. Clearly, when you initiate a break/pass, you're going to be giving something up, but this one seems a bit more risky. Anyone else experience this, and either way, any tips on how to stop that?

Man, maybe the folks I train with aren't as good as I thought (or I'm a lot better :) ) because I haven't had any of the problems you guys are talking about.

Will have to try it more, I guess

Back