Keith Owen shows great guard break and pass video

Boise, do you think you can do this nogi? if so how?

thanks in advance

Im not Boise but use this break often, good set up to leg locks.

No-gi? Grab a two on one, attacking same side as your leg/knee your thats being posted.
For example, fight for wrist control inside guard + attack opponents left arm. Post up on right foot + pull hard, twisting opponent. Keep left hand pulling ops left whilst your right arm assists your right knee across opening guard.

Hope this helps.

just pin your elbow to your knee and dont worry about the grip so much, then shoot your hips forward for the break. I've used that to set up leglocks

maybe pinning the bicep? Thanks for the reply, and I'll give it a shot.

There's actually a Catch break similar to this. Instead of grabbing the lapel (since there isn't one) underhook the head and have your palm cover their ear (think of a one arm Can opener). Pull their head to the side so its out of line with the body while at the same time turning like Owen does but slide your knee across their belly. Hip crank, other leglock entries or pass.

There's actually a Catch break similar to this. Instead of grabbing the lapel (since there isn't one) underhook the head and have your palm cover their ear (think of a one arm Can opener). Pull their head to the side so its out of line with the body while at the same time turning like Owen does but slide your knee across their belly. Hip crank, other leglock entries or pass.

Sounds like a good adaptation. I'll definitely give both of these a shot when the situation arises.

Keith Owen's actually going to be at our club this weekend for a seminar, gonna be sweet!

I tried this tonight for the first time. I like it, but I have a question...

How do you stop Uke from controlling your sleeve??? (opposite from the side your knee is up)

I tried this tonight for the first time. I like it, but I have a question...

How do you stop Uke from controlling your sleeve??? (opposite from the side your knee is up)

Do you mean when you're trying to pry his leg off?

When I did this the position put uke so outta whack that he couldn't reach across that far to control my sleeve.

Do you mean when you're trying to pry his leg off?

When I did this the position put uke so outta whack that he couldn't reach across that far to control my sleeve.

Yes...

I think I just left it hanging out there. Once I have my knee up and my arm on the outside I have to use the opposite hand to pry the leg off, but I couldn't because Uke was controlling my sleeve.

This was on a very technical, flexible, and small purple belt. It might have worked better on a less skilled larger person. It was my first time. It'll take a while for me to get it right...

Yes...

I think I just left it hanging out there. Once I have my knee up and my arm on the outside I have to use the opposite hand to pry the leg off, but I couldn't because Uke was controlling my sleeve.

This was on a very technical, flexible, and small purple belt. It might have worked better on a less skilled larger person. It was my first time. It'll take a while for me to get it right...

I tried this today and it was a royal fail every time I attempted it. THe same thing happened to me as CashBill but the uke got my sleeve (opposite the knee up) with the arm from his trapped hip side to make a cross arm sleeve grip. then his free side leg posted his foot on my hip and scooted to prevent any hip pressure.

But then again, the only times I did this in was during free rolling and I did not even try the move out at all before that on an unresisting partner.

i never like it when tech is shown without both sides having realistic grips.

the bottom guy would have at least sleeve grips in this case, totally changing the position i think. standard grips totally kill the hand move, cross grip leads right into a omoplata with a underhook on the leg with the left arm. this may be the best pass in the world, but without seeing realistic performance from the bottom man it is very hard for me to tell.

a lot of what i have been working lately is using the cross sleeve grip and a leg underhook, so to me this pass just looks like its playing right into a omoplata heavy open guard game.

Thanks for asking. I had to withdraw from the fire/police games due to a wrist injury. To be honest, I have not been that motivated lately to compete. It might be the traveling.
Btw, Keith and I are starting filming on a DVD all about chokes next week.

Thanks for explaining that. It's probably just a phase right now, so I'm sure you will get the itch again.:D

stoic, which saulo dvd was that in? i have both but don't want to search through them for that tidbit. also, i'm not exactly sure what you mean by tilt your pelvis up...
It's on the Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 1, VOlume 6: Passing the guard. If you go to groundfighter.com it is one of the preview videos actually.
The pelvis tilt is immediately apparent in person, but I guess hard to explain in writing, without the visualization, but I will try.
When you are sitting in somebody's guard, get your regular posture (top of the feet flat on the mat, sitting down on your heels, back and neck straight) and then flex your lower abdominals, trying to bring your hips just a bit forward and up.
It is a small detail but makes your posture really strong and hard to break down. You will feel it in your lower back, as it almost feels cocked.

Sorry I am not better able to explain it, but seeing it in person makes it so much easier.

Yes...

Hey Bill,
The thing I resort to if I can't break somebody's grip is to match grips. I usually grab a belt, lapel or pants on the inside of the knee and close my elbow so that the person can't manipulate my arms and gain leverage. It usually neutralizes the grip.

As for the opening, I would say that rotating counterclockwise (if your right leg and right arm are holding your opponent) with your left foot should open the persons guard, because his whole right side should be trapped and all the pressure will be on the left foot which will have to let go.

Amazing I am doing that all day tomorrow morning!!! Can't wait!!

Hey Bill,
The thing I resort to if I can't break somebody's grip is to match grips. I usually grab a belt, lapel or pants on the inside of the knee and close my elbow so that the person can't manipulate my arms and gain leverage. It usually neutralizes the grip.

As for the opening, I would say that rotating counterclockwise (if your right leg and right arm are holding your opponent) with your left foot should open the persons guard, because his whole right side should be trapped and all the pressure will be on the left foot which will have to let go.

Thanks. Now that I think of it, I should be conscious of where I put my opposite hand. When I raise my knee I should already have the opposing arm in a safe position.

I ran through the guard break tonight at class, turns out I like it better than I liked the video. There are a lot of control elements to work out for me at this point, but I'm going to work with it some more.

this is the same principle that apply when you do the triangle escape. I like it, I tried it tonite and my friend was like wtf did you just do haha.

if some ppl dont know wich escape im talking about I can try to find a video.

Thanks. Now that I think of it, I should be conscious of where I put my opposite hand. When I raise my knee I should already have the opposing arm in a safe position.

We (Alliance) use a similar principle to break the guardm but with different details.

The focus is not so much in torquing the spine, but the pressure on the leg.

- Regular double lapel grip with lead hand
- Other hand (thus addressing your question) PINS the hip hard.
- Step with lead leg deep and close to his rib-cage
- Twist to open

The pressure comes from really pinning the hip to the floor, which I felt was missing from the KO video. But then I haven't tried his version yet.

Back