Keith Owen shows great guard break and pass video

If it helps, I've seen the same trap used in no gi a lot too. Leg lock types in particular will use this because it can open up a lot of attack possibilities.

I'm not sure how you'd replicate the lapel grip in no gi. I'm sure you could come up with some ways by playing around with it, but it probably won't be quite as solid. You could always just hold your arm in that position if nothing else.

I think this definitely has at least some no gi use.

maybe pinning the bicep? Thanks for the reply, and I'll give it a shot.

maybe pinning the bicep? Thanks for the reply, and I'll give it a shot.

probably,

it looks like the lapel grip helps pull this chest/read area towards you, while his hips go the other way.

the bicep pin will at least keep him on his back.

maybe if you got long arms you could grab the back of his neck and pull but you would have to be to the side more.

That is an excellent video, will try this. Rare I see a new guard break!!

I really like this. Im glad my school is a Pedro affiliate, he was definitely one of the nicest guys ever w/ amazing jiu jitsu.

This is my most effective guard break, although i just keep the double lapel grip, and keep my elbow inside my knee. I'll have to try that collar grip in the future.

Thanks for posting

I just had some questions since I've been trying this move out. How high do you have to grab on the lapel? What is stopping the omoplata/armbar/triangle? Also, i'm not sure if I'm placing my leg correctly against the hip or maybe i'm just expecting too much by hoping the guard will just pop open. last question, what am i doing with my back leg?

that was a sick ass pass wow.

hope to experiment with this no-gi

thanks for sharing! this looks very interesting! Can't wait to go try this out in class tomorrow.

Tried it on my instructor yesterday and got omoplated in a second. Have to be very careful cause you expose your arm when you place it so deep near the neck of your opponent. Always control the opposite side of you opponent before attempting this technique.

I bought the Owen video series the other day when it was on sale. Rock solid basics like granite. I highly recommend it for the blues and low purples looking to tighten up their game.

Looks pretty f*ckin sweet! Of course its never going to be that simple bc the bottom guy is going to gripping you, moving his hips, etc but in theory this looks really cool.

Things like this make me excited to go to class tonight

Boise, thank you for the video.
BTW, how did you do at the police and fire games in Reno?

I ll try to use the opening next time I go to class.

A couple of things. If you are getting omoplatad, triangled or swept, I would say it is normal at first. I highly doubt that anybody on here does a move for the first time and immediately gets it perfectly.
From my experience, it takes about 2-3 months to get a move down and get everything ironed out.
Playing with the move, which means getting submitted or swept at times, is what gets you better.

I had one of the guys at the gym ask me about guard passing the other day and I think the things I told him would go well with this video.
Guard passing has been my favorite thing lately. hard work, but so rewarding after you get it properly.

This guys asked me about guard passing, but his actual problem was guard opening. Most of the beginners forget about opening and are surprised why they can't pass guard.
I told him that what I look for when opening the guard is the following: posture, grips and hips.
Posture: Here are the things that helped me. I was getting broken down fairly often while in somebody's guard. My main problem was that I had my toes curled up, ready to spring for that guard pass, but it made my base high, which meant that if the guy would just pull his knees to his head, I would topple right on top of him.
That needed to go, so I made sure to keep my feet flat.
The second thing that made a huge difference is the slight hunchback and small pelvis tilt upwards. I have to credit Matt Thornton from SBGi for this. The pelvis tilt works so well that it is almost impossible for the guy on bottom to pull you forward even if you don't have your hands on his gi (collar and pant grip for example).
What I mean by this when you assume you guard breaking posture, tilt your pelvis up, as if you are making a reverse crunch. It's a slight tilt but makes a big difference.

Grips: I can't stress this enough. Break the grips before you try to open, because the grips of your opponent will mess with your posture while you are trying to break the guard. If your posture is messed up, it is much harder to get that movement required to break open the guard.
Credit for the breaks goes to Marcelo Garcia nd MGinAction.com. Collar grip, 1st to break)break with 2 on 1. 2 of your hands on the wrist of your opponents hand and do q quick jerk forward motion while you jerk your upper body backwards slightly.
Elbow grip, break it with making a twisting motion away from the holding hand. Same as standing.
Sleeve grip (end of sleeve), break it with making a palm strike to the hand that is holding the gi.

Hips: Controlling your opponents hips, is the last part before you break the guard. Keith does it by pinning the leg of the opponent between his upper thigh and underneath his armpit and then twists to open it.
For no gi or even gi, I do it the way Saulo does on his DVD, which can also be seen on youtube I think.
Pin the lower part of the opponents left leg with the top part of your thigh by pressing into his leg. Don't bring the knee close to the coccyx , because you will feel off balanced and can be swept.
Pin the top of the opponents leg with your forearm and hold his left hip with your hand by pressing down the hip into the ground. This should make the left leg of your opponent immobilized, as you see Keith do.

After I have those steps, I start twisting slightly and it opens the legs. It should create a lot of pressure on the guard player's legs and you should feel if he's opening his legs, so at times I don't even have to work much for the opening, because they open on their own. At this time go to combat base or that knee cut pass.

I hope this makes sense and helps somebody, because it took me close to a year and a bunch of different instructionals and practice to perfect this, so I think that somebody else is going through the same problems.

stoic, which saulo dvd was that in? i have both but don't want to search through them for that tidbit. also, i'm not exactly sure what you mean by tilt your pelvis up...

Thanks for asking. I had to withdraw from the fire/police games due to a wrist injury. To be honest, I have not been that motivated lately to compete. It might be the traveling.
Btw, Keith and I are starting filming on a DVD all about chokes next week.

Tried it on my instructor yesterday and got omoplated in a second. Have to be very careful cause you expose your arm when you place it so deep near the neck of your opponent. Always control the opposite side of you opponent before attempting this technique.

^^THIS!

THis looks like a variation of one Dennilson Pimenta teaches and actually pulls off at the very highest levels in tourny play.

He however controls the sleeve instead of the collar with the right hand, then uses his left hand to pin the hip down and then steps up just like that and twists his hips in. Since you pin the hip down with the left and step up with the right foot, as you twist it creates an enormous amount of pressue on their knee and they will open without you pushing the knee. Since you control the sleeve they cant underhook your leg and since you arent grabbing the collar you wont get omoplata'd.

When I rolled with Pimenta and tried grabbing the collar he omoplata swept me immediately.

Keith way works just be aware.

Worked on this a bit yesterday both gi and no gi.

Regarding being opened up to omoplata's, triangles: Every* pass opens you up to something, there is an inherent risk to nearly every technique. This pass works great, but you can't just sit there half in and expect your opponent to watch you pass. This is normal with any pass, you gotta keep moving or your opponent will getcha.

I preferred grabbing the collar right at neck level, if not a hair higher. Instead of keeping my arm straight, I preferred to bring the elbow down to his same side hip (top of the hop, across the stomach, not on the side), right until the moment I brought my leg up. Make sure to get your leg as tight against him as possilble. When you get it inside of your elbow you can create TREMENDOUS pressure on the leg you have trapped. Most of my guys were almost forgetting they had their feet locked behind me. Others simply let go because the position was so uncomfortable.

Nogi was a little more difficult, but was able to get it to work OK if I got a pretty good mantis grip on his bicep. After bringing my leg up, again, tight as possilbe against him, I'd pull his arm towards my hip and place my elbow against my thigh. If I sat there too long he'd wise up and be able shim his arm out, but if I was relatively fluid, I'd pass before he caught on.

Back