Keith Owen shows Americana Counter from Side Control

There's a much easier keylock escape, which is just to push the guy on top's elbow and turn into the lock. This often time turns into a sweep but at the very least gives you space to regain guard. I've been doing this since I was a whitebelt and I haven't been keylocked in this since, even by blackbelts.

i need a video of this... if you have one that would be sweet~

I couldn't get a triangle right the first two times I tried it, but I can triangle people now because I WORKED ON IT, and didn't give up on it. Imagine that.

Well it was a joke, sort of. I don't personally think it is going to fit into my game though.

We only have limited time to invest in moves to repeat. I can usually get a feel if the move is something that will work for my body within a few reps. This is one I will skip the investment on.

No, that's my #1 escape. This was a more gimmicky escape from a video that was posted on here a couple of months ago. We all said it seemed like it wouldn't work, the TS defended it even though he hadn't tried it. I tried it, and it turned out to be ineffective. Think of you being mounted, and using your feet to turn one of his feet like a toe hold, forcing him to roll off of the mount.

Sorry that I hijacked this thread. No disrespect.

Bro I was the thread starter for the video and I didn't defend it I just wanted to know from you guys if something like that would work and like I suspected it didn't.... You were they one that let me know it was bullshit..

Thanks!!

Boise, what is Keith's opinion on Barvo.

His "investigation" is still alive and active on bullshido, but they can't pin him down really. I just wondered if Keith had an opinion on the guy at all.

Keith is huge on lineage of black belts. I think it's because he is very proud of professor sauer and think everyone should be upfront on training history which Barvo is not. Say that, Keith is pretty quiet about talking shit about people but I know it pisses him off. Barvo Is no doubt a phoney. Keith feels bad there are guys that don't know better and are getting taught crap and paying for it less than five miles away from four very legit black belt, one is Kukuk, first USA black belt.

I do something very similar to this move, and it works great. I do the exact same set up but I end up wrist locking the guy instead of going for the Americana back at him. Even if you can't get the wrist lock or americana, you end up in a stalemate.

It's actually pretty legit, in my experience.

Keith is huge on lineage of black belts. I think it's because he is very proud of professor sauer and think everyone should be upfront on training history which Barvo is not. Say that, Keith is pretty quiet about talking shit about people but I know it pisses him off. Barvo Is no doubt a phoney. Keith feels bad there are guys that don't know better and are getting taught crap and paying for it less than five miles away from four very legit black belt, one is Kukuk, first USA black belt.

Nice. Good to hear. :)

It is lame that they train with Barvo when there are legitimate sources in town, but I imagine that either dollar amounts (tuition to train) are the only thing they are looking for or they are entirely oblivious to legitimacy and lineage in BJJ.

I mean truly the average soccer mom, or regular buddy off the street have no clue what a Pedro Sauer endorsement means, and that is the problem. But I don't see how any average joe can find out until it is too late, that is one of the few bad things about BJJ still being a total niche sport/martial art, people can still lie and only the hardcore BJJ community can differentiate the bull from the truth.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Just the one question I had. Thanks!

Wow, I know it sucks that he surfaces in every other KO thread, but if KO really feels this way, it makes it even harder to understand why he has affiliated with our friend up north. I still don't understand it, but then again, I don't really have to.

Last edited:
My instructor teaches the one Owen teaches too. It's pretty low percentage especially for those of use without the best range of motion in our shoulders. Like someone already said pushing hard on the guy's arm pit is the one that usually works for me unless the guy has a really good base.

I think this statement is ironic given Keith's young red-headed protege.

I like it, it looks like the kind of move that might work for me.

Back