Keith Owen shows Americana Counter from Side Control

boisefireman

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

I can't remember if I have posted this. I ask for guys to try it slow in drills and in live rolling before you say it is shit. I have used this very move in a tournament setting and it work like magic.

Never used it before, I'll try it out tonight and give it my review.

Hopefully it works better than the last time I tested a Sherdog move (mount escape using your feet to twist the other guy's foot = total crap even with no resistance).

LOL

Next time dont beat around the bush so much, be blunt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this move won't work. It might. I sure as hell don't know everything there is to know.

But yeah, that one move where you use your feet to twist the guy's foot like a toe hold, and thus make him surrender top position....that was garbage. I've been training for a good while, and I couldn't even use it effectively on a white belt with no resistance. He just kept his base and then moved his foot.

Hopefully it works better than the last time I tested a Sherdog move (mount escape using your feet to twist the other guy's foot = total crap even with no resistance).

I remember that one. Wasn't it a type of submission using your foot?

I remember that one. Wasn't it a type of submission using your foot?

It was supposed to be a submission if the person refuses to be swept, but really the idea was that it forces him to be swept to avoid the sub. Kind of like the way an omoplata is technically a sub but more often works as a sweep. Except the omoplata works.

Dude! Are you bashing the elbow escape?:icon_neut

Dude! Are you bashing the elbow escape?:icon_neut

No, that's my #1 escape. This was a more gimmicky escape from a video that was posted on here a couple of months ago. We all said it seemed like it wouldn't work, the TS defended it even though he hadn't tried it. I tried it, and it turned out to be ineffective. Think of you being mounted, and using your feet to turn one of his feet like a toe hold, forcing him to roll off of the mount.

Sorry that I hijacked this thread. No disrespect.

Not with the america grip, but I roll people like that if I get the timing right. I suppose it would work but I wouldn't want to battle a bigger/stronger guy using that technique.

Awesome SN ^^^^

I find this works really well on newer people who put all other their momentum forward into the americana. I guess that's why Keith turns in to get that momentum from someone not so new.

There's a much easier keylock escape, which is just to push the guy on top's elbow and turn into the lock. This often time turns into a sweep but at the very least gives you space to regain guard. I've been doing this since I was a whitebelt and I haven't been keylocked in this since, even by blackbelts.

Ok this looks a lot more feasible than the last one you posted Bosieman. No offense.

Anyway, i have a question. Is it a bridge move you want to do? Or do you actually want to hip all the way out, and get onto your side as much as possible?

Because he hipped out, then bridged the first time he showed it, then he just bridged up when he showed it again.

Im a little confused. Ill try it both ways, and let you know how it works out i guess.

Awesome SN ^^^^

I find this works really well on newer people who put all other their momentum forward into the americana. I guess that's why Keith turns in to get that momentum from someone not so new.

Cheers bro hah.

LOL

Not sure why the term "Sherdog move" is hilarious, but it is.

Just wanted to let everyone know I tried this today and got americana'd twice.

Sherdog moves ftl.

Well...

I will reserve judgement until i see some more reviews, and of course try it out for myself.

Ok this looks a lot more feasible than the last one you posted Bosieman. No offense.

Anyway, i have a question. Is it a bridge move you want to do? Or do you actually want to hip all the way out, and get onto your side as much as possible?

Because he hipped out, then bridged the first time he showed it, then he just bridged up when he showed it again.

Im a little confused. Ill try it both ways, and let you know how it works out i guess.

Hey BTT. No the bridge move is just to get them to react by pushing back. That pushing back will give the movement to bring them all the way over. make sure you drop you elbow to your side as the roll starts.

Just wanted to let everyone know I tried this today and got americana'd twice.

Sherdog moves ftl.
I couldn't get a triangle right the first two times I tried it, but I can triangle people now because I WORKED ON IT, and didn't give up on it. Imagine that.

The problem I had with it, even just trying it out before class, was that it is really ahrd to getyour hand under your forearm like that. Thier hands are in the way and they really have to let you get a lot fo space to reach that deep... I can grasp my own hand, which is generally what I do... but I was having a hell of a time getting that grip. So then I tried to do it without the grip as well, and that was when I got americana'd the second time. I think I could pull it off on someone a lot less skilled or a lot smaller... which is usually where I start working on a new move. I just didn't have the opportunity today. But still, I can usually tell right away if it is something I will able to use. No, in this case.

Back