Keith Owen Interview. With bonus of me and my son

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by boisefireman, Sep 1, 2010.

1. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

2. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

Saw that on facebook earlier today, cool stuff! I agree, good questions from you and your son.

3. Lookyoung

Lookyoung Blue Belt

I have a question about Keith owen.

Since he is a pedro sauer blackbelt do you guys focus alot on self defense?

Has Keith ever competed in bjj? Has he had any success? I ask because I know he started late!

How do you stack up when you roll against keith being your a big guy and a purple belt competitor and Keith is an older guy.

4. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

1. We don't spend a lot of time on the self defense moves. Some, but not alot. My son and I train on self defense on our own alot and have them down pretty good.
    2. Keith competed about a year ago at the us nationals. He had no one in his weight and age div for black belt. and lost first round on point in his absolute match. I guess he is like a lot of Sauer guys and competitions are not that important, but lately he has gotten into them and he encourages everyone to compete atleast once.(purple belt req. for him)
    3. Keith kills everyone, and not because he is big( him and I are about the same until I dropped some weight.) He kills being smooth and knowning 3 or 4 moves ahead. He rarely fights from the top, because he says he has top down and needs practice on bottom or side bottom. I think I have tapped him out less than 4 times in my 4+ years. Everytime he has been excited and asked how I did it. Always some sneeky way he hadn't seen. BTW I am one year older than Keith and we are not brothers like everyone thinks.