Keeping things that should be in the fridge unrefridgerated....

largemansmay***

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I moved not too long ago and I moved next to an indian couple. My wife and I get along with them very well and we go over to their house for dinner a lot. Anyway, I'm not the biggest fan of spicy food and everything they make has enough spice in it so that is too spicy for me. So they told me to just mix yogurt with my rice and chicken or whatever they made....but for some odd reason they don't refrigerate their yogurt. It just sits on their table after it has been opened for a while and just becomes liquidy and stuff. I have eaten it a bunch of times but it still grosses me out and to be honest I think there is a chance that it could be unhealthy. They also don't refrigerate eggs.

I went to mexico a few years ago and they also don't refrigerate eggs and milk (and maybe even yogurt). That kinda grosses me out a bit.

I don't know...what do you guys think about eating yogurt that has been opened and sitting on a table for a couple days? Uhhh, just thinking about it is kinda gross.

Anyway, I don't understand why they wouldn't refrigerate these things...do they like yogurt with liquid at the bottom? Its not like they don't have enough space in their fridge or anything.

What do you guys think about people in other countries not refrigerating things that we deem necessary to put in the fridge?

Anyway, I think from now on I am just going to not eat at their house. I am on a low carb diet anyway and everything that they serve comes with a side of rice (and if I don't eat rice with it it would be WAY too spicy for me...as it usually is too spicy for me even with the rice). Anyway, I think it would be best for me anyway to stick with my diet. Hopefully they don't get offended.

Not refrigerating eggs has been talked about here before. It's not a big deal, and personally, I like how they cook when room temperature. The yogurt is also fine. Yogurt is a fermented food after all. The reason it becomes "liquidy" is because the fermentation process is more rapid at room temp than cold storage. Bacteria move away from the acidic whey because it is harmful to them, separation is just a natural process of fermentation.

I'm interested though. Do they make homemade yogurt, or is it just store bought? If it's homemade they probably just keep the fermentation process going continuously by adding fresh milk ass needed. Use a cup of yogurt today, add a cup of milk. Either way, store bought or homemade, it sounds like they use it rapidly enough that it is completely fine.

Dairy is much better to compensate hot food than rice anyway, and since it's fermented most of the carb content is gone. I wouldn't avoid eating there to stay on your diet. Just avoid the rice and use the yogurt as needed.

Or
It seems like you weren't reaching your RDA of Harden the fuck up.

Deal with the spicy.

Not refrigerating eggs has been talked about here before. It's not a big deal, and personally, I like how they cook when room temperature. The yogurt is also fine. Yogurt is a fermented food after all. The reason it becomes "liquidy" is because the fermentation process is more rapid at room temp than cold storage. Bacteria move away from the acidic whey because it is harmful to them, separation is just a natural process of fermentation.

I'm interested though. Do they make homemade yogurt, or is it just store bought? If it's homemade they probably just keep the fermentation process going continuously by adding fresh milk ass needed. Use a cup of yogurt today, add a cup of milk. Either way, store bought or homemade, it sounds like they use it rapidly enough that it is completely fine.

Dairy is much better to compensate hot food than rice anyway, and since it's fermented most of the carb content is gone. I wouldn't avoid eating there to stay on your diet. Just avoid the rice and use the yogurt as needed.

Or

Deal with the spicy.

lol...sometimes they make homemade yogurt but most of the time it is store bought. Maybe I will try to eat it without the rice but it seems like it would be too spicy even with the yogurt. Could I eat the spicy food...yes? Would I even come close to enjoying it...no.

I never understood the appeal of spicy food. I guess its something you just get used to...an acquired taste.

letting yogurt get slightly warm is good for you.. Warm milk is nasty though

lol...sometimes they make homemade yogurt but most of the time it is store bought. Maybe I will try to eat it without the rice but it seems like it would be too spicy even with the yogurt. Could I eat the spicy food...yes? Would I even come close to enjoying it...no.

I never understood the appeal of spicy food. I guess its something you just get used to...an acquired taste.

I love spicy/hot stuff. I buy chipotle tabasco by the gallon and put sriracha on everything.

I love spicy/hot stuff. I buy chipotle tabasco by the gallon and put sriracha on everything.

Siracha is pretty killer and you can't beat the price. Given that most hot sauces are pretty runny, the consistency of this one makes for a nice change. Back when I used to eat spicy sausage dogs, I drowned it in that stuff and got a half decent burn going.

Back