keeping posture in someones guard for no gi

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by doaky, Aug 2, 2010.

1. doaky

doaky White Belt

hey guys can you give me some advice on keeping good posture in some ones guard in no gi?i have a tournament in Dublin on Saturday and my no gi game isn't an were near as good as my gi game.im a 3 strip white belt who's been doing it 8months

2. Redwards

Redwards Orange Belt

Hands on their armpits.

3. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

4. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

Back straight, sit back, push hands down into abs, elbows tight, don't let them lift their head or shoulders.

5. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

look up

6. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

Also when they start to grip your wrists and head you can hand fight them. I noticed that the control portion of the guard fight looks an awful lot like hand fighting in wrestling during the neutral position.

Basically you are trying to get the grips you want on them and not allow them to get the grips they want on you. If they manage to get a wrist, peel it off asap. If they manage to grab the head, then peel that off asap. In the meantime you work to keep good posture and gain the hold you want.

This is very basic info but if you combine the "rules of thumb" with actual moves you practice it will help you immediately.

In Judo, BJJ and wrestling I think the art of the grips or tie ups are way underrated!!!

7. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

for sure, whenever a good judoka get's their grips on me, i feel helpless and i know im getting tossed

8. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

I have problems with this also...especially the smaller guys who climb on you like you're a tree when you're in their guard..

9. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

In no gi I actually have a little bit more success (defensively) with a low, smothering posture than with an upright posture. Occasionally I'll even pass like that, using the S

10. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

You can put your hands on the biceps/armpits to get your composure, but this is more of a stalling position. Once you're ready to work, posture up, hands in the abs, elbows tight to the thighs.

It can be hard to keep posture, no-gi is more of a back and forth battle of constantly losing and regaining position. It's so easy for the guy on bottom to yank your wrists out and snap your posture back down, so you have to be ready to attempt a pass fast when you have solid posture.