Keenan's 2014 Worlds Worm guard DQ??

BJJ Coffee Drinker

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
I remember watching Keenan's match at the 2014 Worlds against Diego Gamonal from BTT, the one in which he was DQ'd during a transition where he inverted to set up his worm guard and immediately followed up with a sweep/back take attempt.

It was claimed to be a knee reaping DQ

He was DQ'd after the referee watched the transition for a couple seconds. I have been playing worm guard to a proficient level the last year and I still couldn't figure out where Keenan may have possibly reaped the knee or applied reaping pressure with his transition.

Anyone know or saw this that understands why Keenan may have been DQd? There is no video of the match online to look at

I watched it a long time ago but as far as I remember it was cheating with Keenan's opponent moving the leg across.

Is this before the rule change that only made a reap a dq if a submission was being applied?

I watched it a long time ago but as far as I remember it was cheating with Keenan's opponent moving the leg across.

I remember it similar to that.

In the screencap you can see the opponent notices it, turns his body away to move keenan's leg further across (increase the reap) and then he falls down (keenan can't move his opponents left foot away from his own hip if he wanted) and makes the reap more noticeable to the ref.

do you guys think it was a rightful DQ? from the pictures and pictures only, it looks like it may have been warranted.

from watching in person it was much harder to tell since I was farther away

I remember it similar to that.

In the screencap you can see the opponent notices it, turns his body away to move keenan's leg further across (increase the reap) and then he falls down (keenan can't move his opponents left foot away from his own hip if he wanted) and makes the reap more noticeable to the ref.

Doesn't the guy tap also? I remember from the highlight that he stood up afterward and did one of those jubilant screams and fist extensions like he'd just won a gold medal. Big shame as Keenan had medaled in the absolute the day before after beating Leandro Lo among others. Good chance he would have won gold as nobody knew how to stop the worm guard yet.

Doesn't the guy tap also? I remember from the highlight that he stood up afterward and did one of those jubilant screams and fist extensions like he'd just won a gold medal. Big shame as Keenan had medaled in the absolute the day before after beating Leandro Lo among others. Good chance he would have won gold as nobody knew how to stop the worm guard yet.

i remember watching the guy celebrate. Seemed pretty douchey especially after winning by DQ. Guy seemed really proud of it

Seemed pretty douchey especially after winning by DQ. Guy seemed really proud of it

For some people all that matters is the W, no matter how they gained it. I'm sure when he tells the story of how he once beat Keenan, he's the hero and would've won the match even if there hadn't been a DQ.

Back