Keenan Cornelius DQ'd for dangerous illegal technique

When I watched it live, it definitely seemed like he tapped.

That's why he did the victory dance.

It was 100% intentional. He saw a positional opportunity for victory within the ruleset and he lured his opponent into that position.

That is a top tier athlete right there.

It's beside the point that the IBJJF has now created a method to defeat your opponent by tapping out after setting up his foot placement. That's irrelevant. This young man achieved victory against a renowned competitor by luring him into a strategic trap. Bravo to him. That is celebration worthy.

I don't see how this is any different than when guys try to time a shot at the same time as when their opponent pulls guard so that they can get takedown points. It's all just gaming the system, there's no way to stop it. The rule sucks, don't give your opponent the opportunity to use it to his advantage.

I just lost my ACL from an accidental knee reap. The thing with the knee is that you have no idea it's coming. You might feel like it's fine now, but years down the line when your ligaments have been worn, like mine probably have, you'll pop your knee much more easily.

I don't see how this is any different than when guys try to time a shot at the same time as when their opponent pulls guard so that they can get takedown points. It's all just gaming the system, there's no way to stop it. The rule sucks, don't give your opponent the opportunity to use it to his advantage.

I assume because that's nowhere near as bad as pushing someone's foot across your body and then you fake tap for the ref to get an instant win.

I don't see any reap that is all the way across. The far side is clear in the video, and there is no foot to be seen at 0:25.

Maybe you think the foot is hidden by the gi lapel? But I think the lapel is just hanging out like that. You'll notice it stays out that way even after the match stops and both Keenan's feet are visible. I think the gi is just loose.

nyy91i.png

Here you can see the foot is all the way across the body to the far armpit

Back