Keenan Cornelius DQ'd for dangerous illegal technique

I think maybe the guy tapped which is why the ref did the instant DQ. I can't see a tap, but from the expressions I think there might have been one. Otherwise it makes no sense under the new rules.

If the guy did jump into it and do a fake tap specifically to force a DQ, that is the lamest thing ever.

When I watched it live, it definitely seemed like he tapped.

I wish these refs would use common sense and not follow every little rule so strictly. especially in this case

If the guy did jump into it and do a fake tap specifically to force a DQ, that is the lamest thing ever.

That's exactly what it looks like. Mid-transition he sees an opportunity, falls over to make the reap more exaggerated, then taps to it for the DQ.

How can this be illegal at black belt?

It was clearly a vicious assault on the other competitors knee. A knee reap should be an auto 6 month ban.

Yes, the under new rules it's a penalty and a restart if it goes partially over.

It is an instant DQ still for all the way over, but that is clearly not what happened. You can see at 0:25. Although the reap is tough to see, what is clearly in the video is the far side from the reap, and there is clearly no foot hooking there or passing that line.

So at most it could have been a partial reap that crosses the centerline but does not go all the way over. The treatment for that is a penalty and a restart.

The only exception is if the ref saw a submission hold, which I sure don't see. That's why I thought maybe the guy tapped because they both stop and he says something to the ref. But I don't see a tap (could have been verbal too) so no idea if that occurred or the ref just completely wrecked the rules on this one.

Either way, bulllllllllllllllllllshittttttttt.

2 things, looked to me that Keenan had a footlock (hard to see from the camera angle). in that case even partial reap (foot crossing midline), is still an insta-DQ

the reap was not partial though, it was all the way past the edge of the opponents body to the far armpit, that is an insta-dq whether he had a submission on hold or not.

That's exactly what it looks like. Mid-transition he sees an opportunity, falls over to make the reap more exaggerated, then taps to it for the DQ.

Well if that is the case, I can see why the guy was celebrating the win. He successfully executed a fight ending technique to earn victory. People should think about that before hating. Props.

The problem with IBJJF is that if Keenan was Brazilian, that wouldn't have been called.

If Keenan was Brazilian and it happened, it wouldn't be such a "travesty". Reaping is a dumb rule and has been DQing competitors for years. I've seen guys DQed for far shallower reaps than that.

Well if that is the case, I can see why the guy was celebrating the win. He successfully executed a fight ending technique to earn victory. People should think about that before hating. Props.

Real talk.

Strategic victory within the rules.

2 things, looked to me that Keenan had a footlock (hard to see from the camera angle). in that case even partial reap (foot crossing midline), is still an insta-DQ

the reap was not partial though, it was all the way past the edge of the opponents body to the far armpit, that is an insta-dq whether he had a submission on hold or not.

I don't see any reap that is all the way across. The far side is clear in the video, and there is no foot to be seen at 0:25.

Maybe you think the foot is hidden by the gi lapel? But I think the lapel is just hanging out like that. You'll notice it stays out that way even after the match stops and both Keenan's feet are visible. I think the gi is just loose.

Why are IBJJF turning BJJ into Judo?

When will we see a regression of the rules so they could become more minimalist, especially at black belt level.

soon the IBJJF and IJF will merge and unify new olympic rules for us pajama grapplers:

the contest will consist of two combatants bowing at one another for no less than three minutes in the middle of a circle of a dozen or so silent portly grey-haired individuals.

at the end of two minutes, the officials argue over whose bows had more 'technique' and 'true spirit', although the ultimate decision will rest on the highest-ranked/oldest member of the referee committee of the host country.

the official rulebook will be available as a 3-part hardcover series encompassing all 3,742 penalties.

The call was terrible. If anyone was to be DQ'd it should have been Keenan's opponent for intentionally putting himself in the reap position. Cheap way to win...

Prior to this match I saw the same ref wrongly DQ several other people. There needs to be some sort of "power check" to prevent lousy referees from crushing a person's dreams.

The call was terrible. If anyone was to be DQ'd it should have been Keenan's opponent for intentionally putting himself in the reap position. Cheap way to win...

Prior to this match I saw the same ref wrongly DQ several other people. There needs to be some sort of "power check" to prevent lousy referees from crushing a person's dreams.

A DQ should be a last resort, this ref seemed to be looking for any excuse to exercise his power.

A DQ should be a last resort, this ref seemed to be looking for any excuse to exercise his power.

It was definitely unusual. I think no matter how you look at it this ref made bad calls throughout the competition - DQ'ing people who did not deserve it - and there needs to be a way to override these decisions.

Now that I thought about, I actually knee reap my girlfriend to lock her legs and tickle her in the foot. :icon_lol:

Back