Kazakhstan boxing head coach teaching awkward footwork

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If only i can understand what he is saying

14c0f057abec6dabfc5be48cbbd0d904fef889a8781eee667984089207daf998.jpg

He says (in Russian) "Your head should be much lower, like that. Then you throw a punch, then another one, then another one... Look here, you need to throw from here (has his fist at the hip), punch from here then from behind the elbow. From here, it's like a launching pad with a nuclear engine. So it pushes out the engines which means the elbows... You are in a hurry. You did not lower your head... No, that's incorrect... You lowered your head and punched at different times. You've got to memorize that... Just stand there then punch, one, two, three. Then you step back... One, two, three, four (while punching). Then everything will work well... That's how you learn it. Let's see it again".

The translation is going to sound funny. That is because Russian is not the coach's first language.

Fairly basic stepping-through while punching. It's only awkward because its old, not very common nowadays for the rear foot/hip being taught to be brought forward.

He says (in Russian) "Your head should be much lower, like that. Then you throw a punch, then another one, then another one... Look here, you need to throw from here (has his fist at the hip), punch from here then from behind the elbow. From here, it's like a launching pad with a nuclear engine. So it pushes out the engines which means the elbows... You are in a hurry. You did not lower your head... No, that's incorrect... You lowered your head and punched at different times. You've got to memorize that... Just stand there then punch, one, two, three. Then you step back... One, two, three, four (while punching). Then everything will work well... That's how you learn it. Let's see it again".

The translation is going to sound funny. That is because Russian is not the coach's first language.

wtf are you talking about, the coach speaks perfect russian.

Look here, you need to throw from here (has his fist at the hip), punch from here then from behind the elbow.

This part is completely wrong. he says NOT to punch from the hips but rather (shows) to throw from your chin.

This is how misinformation spread...

Also as sinister said these are basic moves, taught by most of the soviet school coaches.

Queen B, how do you know that this is Kazakhstan boxing head coach? Name?

P.S. the gym really takes me back... :)

wtf are you talking about, the coach speaks perfect russian.

This part is completely wrong. he says NOT to punch from the hips but rather (shows) to throw from your chin.

I am not talking about his accent. The way he phrases his comparisons of punches to rocket engines and such sounds strange.

It is difficult to translate a video in context but in that part he holds his fist near his right hip. The second punch is thrown from his chin which he called a punch from the elbow.

Queen B, how do you know that this is Kazakhstan boxing head coach? Name?

The Japanese title in the video says it's "Saharin" or rather Sakhalin Oblast (or possibly the island of Sakhalin, though less likely since most Japanese refer to the island by its Japanese name Karafuto-Toh. Might not be Kazakhstan at all, potentially.

This is what I call "driving" footwork. Very powerful and adds lateral defensive movements into your attacks. It can be very useful for in-fighters.

The Japanese title in the video says it's "Saharin" or rather Sakhalin Oblast (or possibly the island of Sakhalin, though less likely since most Japanese refer to the island by its Japanese name Karafuto-Toh. Might not be Kazakhstan at all, potentially.

I got this from the Japanese facebook page that said "Kazakhstan Head Coach"

This is what I call "driving" footwork. Very powerful and adds lateral defensive movements into your attacks. It can be very useful for in-fighters.

Exactly. We always called it a "duck walk," but I have absolutely no idea why.

I got this from the Japanese facebook page that said "Kazakhstan Head Coach"

Could you post the original link, please? The YouTube video title states that it's Sakhalin Oblast.

Tyson did it as well regularly
Is there a video or anything on how to do this?

Fairly basic stepping-through while punching. It's only awkward because its old, not very common nowadays for the rear foot/hip being taught to be brought forward.

Isnt it just stepping with the punch. Step the opposite foot with the punch to get your weight into it. Like Dempsey said?

Isnt it just stepping with the punch. Step the opposite foot with the punch to get your weight into it. Like Dempsey said?

More or less. Think about how you would crash tackle someone. If you were going to hit them with your right shoulder, you would step forward with your left leg and your right leg would drive the tackle. For the structure of the tackle to be strong you would need to have your right leg drive your hips behind your shoulder and into the target. Similar with punching whereby your right foot, right hip, right shoulder and right fist would all need to be lined up along the plane of the force.

In a different analogy that you can experiment with, try throwing a tennis ball as hard as you can without stepping forward. Then try again with the step. I bet you threw harder with the step. This is because you are moving your whole body weight forward behind the movement to suppliment the pivoting of the body around its axis. Essentially, you are adding an extra link into the kinetic chain.

It can be very tempting to take large steps when driving. It covers ground further but telegraphs it tremendously. You don't want to be driving your body weight into one of their hits. Small steps (half a foot) is all that is needed to get the extra power. As PivotPunch said, Tyson did it alot (at least early Tyson did), especially with his crippling body shots as he was taking an angle.

Back