Kayla Harrison has

My basic criteria is resume and accomplishments when I rank GOATs.
Ranking the Top 10 WMMA GOATs
I would alter my list a little from what’s in that thread. I really should’ve flipped numbers 7 and 8, and after discussion in that thread I’d maybe change my #10. Something like:

1. Nunes
  2. Rousey
  3. Schevchenko
  4. Joanna
  5. Rose
  6. Cyborg
  7. Miesha
  8. Marloes
  9. Holly
  10. Kaufman

Very fair accomplishments-based ranking but IMO Cyborg and Miesha need to be swapped. As an undersized BW, Tate fought in the deepest WMMA division of her day and twice won the title in the highest available org (Strikeforce and then UFC) beating Coenen and Holm to do so.

Cyborg made her whole career putting on squash matches in a non-existent division vs. blown up flyweights and bantamweights. Her best wins are Coenenx2 and Holm, both of whom were fighting above their natural weight class.

Very fair accomplishments-based ranking but IMO Cyborg and Miesha need to be swapped. As an undersized BW, Tate fought in the deepest WMMA division of her day and twice won the title in the highest available org (Strikeforce and then UFC) beating Coenen and Holm to do so.

Cyborg made her whole career putting on squash matches in a non-existent division vs. blown up flyweights and bantamweights. Her best wins are Coenenx2 and Holm, both of whom were fighting above their natural weight class.
That’s fair, Cyborg was really tough to rank for me. I didn’t want to cop out and just disqualify her for PED use, yet I feel like just about any WMMA champ who beat good contenders from their own weight class should rank above Cyborg. But at the same time Cyborg has a lot of accomplishments like title defenses and championships won.

But I think you are right. Cyborg maybe should be #7–below Miesha but ahead of Marloes.

That’s fair, Cyborg was really tough to rank for me. I didn’t want to cop out and just disqualify her for PED use, yet I feel like just about any WMMA champ who beat good contenders from their own weight class should rank above Cyborg. But at the same time Cyborg has a lot of accomplishments like title defenses and championships won.

But I think you are right. Cyborg maybe should be #7–below Miesha but ahead of Marloes.

Yeah Cyborg's ranking has a ton of qualifiers but you can't ignore that she spent 10 years on top and undefeated, even if that was almost all vs. blown up cans and pissing hot during that time. Testing positive pre-USADA in Strikeforce is pretty damning - that means she pissed hot on fight night and didn't even try to cycle off or keep up appearances. Then there's the whole issue of the 6 lbs bikini when she missed weight. Cyborg has had a great run but she's really tough to root for as a fighter.

What Kayla is doing in Strikeforce is basically what Cyborg did her whole career and if she keeps doing it for another 7 or 8 fights with maybe 1 or 2 former UFC contenders thrown in the mix (without testing positive or missing weight), IMO she'd have a case to take Cyborg's place in your ranking.

Yeah Cyborg's ranking has a ton of qualifiers but you can't ignore that she spent 10 years on top and undefeated, even if that was almost all vs. blown up cans and pissing hot during that time. Testing positive pre-USADA in Strikeforce is pretty damning - that means she pissed hot on fight night and didn't even try to cycle off or keep up appearances. Then there's the whole issue of the 6 lbs bikini when she missed weight. Cyborg has had a great run but she's really tough to root for as a fighter.

What Kayla is doing in Strikeforce is basically what Cyborg did her whole career and if she keeps doing it for another 7 or 8 fights with maybe 1 or 2 former UFC contenders thrown in the mix (without testing positive or missing weight), IMO she'd have a case to take Cyborg's place in your ranking.
Plus Cyborg has another PED violation in the UFC, but was cleared somehow. Her whole career is suspect imo.

Plus Cyborg has another PED violation in the UFC, but was cleared somehow. Her whole career is suspect imo.

Yeah I acknowledge her fight accomplishments but all the red flags make her really unlikable. The fact she's been doing it against undersized women who appear to be clean make it come off even worse.

We're all just forgetting that Megumi Fujii and Tara LaRosa exist?

Back