Kavanagh wants McGregor to face Gaethje at 170

it's actually kind of a great idea.

Conor can prove that he's not ducking Gaethje.
He's still moving forward at welterweight.
He can fight Gaethje, a naturally smaller lightweight, at an inopportune weight, which gives Conor more of an advantage.
If he loses, he doesn't drop out of contention at lightweight.

Weird. I know. But not a bad idea.

Still prefer Conor vs. Nate III or Conor vs. Masvidal.

This has been one of the questions for some time. Since fans allow it to happen, it is now commonplace for rankings not to matter with fights in different weight classes or with fighters missing weight. Now it is becoming more common for fights fighting for belts coming off a loss. We have two championship fights coming up where the challenger is coming off two losses. Rankings have become meaningless and as it stands, it will only continue to deteriorate as long as fans of fighters keep giving it a pass because they like a fighter.

No. They do matter. Maybe not to you, but to the fighter's and the organization it means negotiating power, sponsorships, and match making. To the fans, it is about legacy and fairness. The ranking gives weight to perceptions and decision making.

If it didn't matter, McGregor wouldn't have gone up in rank in LW and got ranked at WW after fighting Cerrone. That one fight at 170 changed his position in TWO weight classes.

The corruption gets embedded, washed, and covered up through the manipulation of the ranking system, and according to you, the organization should just keep screwing their fighters over.

source.gif

It makes all the sense in the world to Dana. Shit, Dana thinks Khabib/Conor is the match to make right damn now.

Weird that he only fights lightweights at 170. And then the media talks about how he's so great for fighting in 3 weight classes. I think eliminating weight classes is the smart and safe thing to do. Just doesn't seem fair that he gets to fight at 170 without fighting any actual welterweights.

No. They do matter. Maybe not to you, but to the fighter's and the organization it means negotiating power, sponsorships, and match making. To the fans, it is about legacy and fairness. The ranking gives weight to perceptions and decision making.

If it didn't matter, McGregor wouldn't have gone up in rank in LW and got ranked at WW after fighting Cerrone. That one fight at 170 changed his position in TWO weight classes.

The corruption gets embedded, washed, and covered up through the manipulation of the ranking system, and according to you, the organization should just keep screwing their fighters over.
If that is what you got out of what I said, you may want to look at working on your reading comprehension.
When one is able to lose and move up to a title fight or cant make weight and gets rewarded with a title fight, the rankings are pointless and it delegitimizes the sport. If the NFL came out and said the Patriots would face the San Fran for the Super Bowl because "that's the match people want to see" it wouldnt be stood for. In the UFC it has become common.
When this is happening, rankings are based not off of one's performance in the cage but on social media, ticket sales, and press coverage. Fighters have no motivation to make weight, fighting to win isnt important, and how much noise you make and how many fans you have are all that matters.
As it stands, rankings matter as much in the UFC as they do in WWE. Through that it has the same legitimacy.

If that is what you got out of what I said, you may want to look at working on your reading comprehension.
When one is able to lose and move up to a title fight or cant make weight and gets rewarded with a title fight, the rankings are pointless and it delegitimizes the sport. If the NFL came out and said the Patriots would face the San Fran for the Super Bowl because "that's the match people want to see" it wouldnt be stood for. In the UFC it has become common.
When this is happening, rankings are based not off of one's performance in the cage but on social media, ticket sales, and press coverage. Fighters have no motivation to make weight, fighting to win isnt important, and how much noise you make and how many fans you have are all that matters.
As it stands, rankings matter as much in the UFC as they do in WWE. Through that it has the same legitimacy.

Funny how other people's reading comprehension is off, yet you fail to respond directly to what was said. Instead you are going off on these tangent fallacies (false attribution, false equivalence, faulty generalization, etc.) that other people are supposed to make sense, follow, and respond to. What are you talking about?

FACT: One fight at 170 changed McGregor's position in TWO weight classes.

If it didn't matter, why do they have weight classes, and why do they maintain rankings for those weight classes?

I'll give you a hint...the answer is rhetorical.

Funny how other people's reading comprehension is off, yet you fail to respond directly to what was said. Instead you are going off on these tangent fallacies (false attribution, false equivalence, faulty generalization, etc.) that other people are supposed to make sense, follow, and respond to. What are you talking about?

FACT: One fight at 170 changed McGregor's position in TWO weight classes.

If it didn't matter, why do they have weight classes, and why do they maintain rankings for those weight classes?

I'll give you a hint...the answer is rhetorical.

It's great that you want to argue. What you want to argue about is what is confusing, however, given that I was greeing with your from the start.
The only issue is that you seem to believe this is a new thing happening.

Frankie Edgar managed to lose two fights in a row at 155 and in doing so became ranked #1 at 145. This was in 2013. Fans justified it as it would be a great match up and that wins and losses didnt matter as long as the fights were good. This mindset has continued since then and the UFC has known they can get away with it. I'm not sure how this is escaping you or if you failed to notice it until now, but I'm not sure what else to tell you.

It's great that you want to argue. What you want to argue about is what is confusing, however, given that I was greeing with your from the start.
The only issue is that you seem to believe this is a new thing happening.

Frankie Edgar managed to lose two fights in a row at 155 and in doing so became ranked #1 at 145. This was in 2013. Fans justified it as it would be a great match up and that wins and losses didnt matter as long as the fights were good. This mindset has continued since then and the UFC has known they can get away with it. I'm not sure how this is escaping you or if you failed to notice it until now, but I'm not sure what else to tell you.

McGregor moved up a position at LW, even though the fight was at 170, and got newly ranked at #14 at WW. Let's also remember that McGregor fought Nate Diaz twice at 170 and was not ranked at WW after his win.

After taking what I said above into consideration, what is your opinion on the fact that one fight at 170 changed McGregor's ranking position in two weight classes?

I may be in the minority but if this fight happened a 170lb you wouldn’t hear any gripes off me. I’d be excited to see the fight

I didn't realise that weight cutting had no impact on Conor's cardio, strength and hydration.

I'm all for Gaethje vs. McGregor, but not at welterweight.
Seems to me that Conor wants to have the weight advantage against Gaethje and i'd rather have them fight at 155 where they're closer in weight.

Yeah only guys like Alvarez and poirier get past justin! Lol in all seriousness it's a tough fight I'll give credit where it's due if he wins. Dunno where this notion of gaethje being a world bearer comes from tho

Looked great in his last 3, I'd pick him to win the rematches with Eddie and Dustin, those fights were damn close.

He also has the skillet to give problems to Khabib, heavy leg kicks, great defensive wrestling and heavy hands.

Well in that case, why doesn't every fighter just miss weight or negotiate enough leeway to fight in a different weight class? Since there is clearly no point in fighting within your weight class.

In fact, why do they even have weight classes?
Because they don't have the same ability to call the shots during negotiating like Conor and his camp does. The UFC is a meritocracy of sorts, just not your traditional one. If you have proved you're able to draw crowds, crush ppvs and win most of the time, chances are you're going to be able to negotiate circumstances outside of what would be considered normal or logical. It's the fight business.

We all know the UFC will award the title shot of the victory, so why bother making everyone cut weight if that's the case and they're about the same size anyway? It becomes pretty arbitrary.

So fighters should only cut weight for title fights now?

Back