Kaufman or Eye?

kaltkalt

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm torn on Kaufman vs Eye. After the weigh-in, where Eye looked an inch or two taller than Kaufman and not the tinyl, underweight natural flyweight like I'd heard, coupled with the fact that Kaufman has looked pretty mediocre in her last few fights, now I'm really unsure about my initial pick of her. Seems around 90% of people here are going with Kaufman, which frankly I find surprising. Why is she such a big favorite? No real ground game, won close, debatable decisions in her last 2 wins (I thought she lost her last fight).

Why are most people going with Kaufman?

Kaufman really needs a suntan, btw. She's probably the most pale non-albino person I've ever seen. Must be the perpetual darkness of Canada...

It's because Kaufman is better than Miesha Tate AND Liz Carmouche. The only two people that MAY be ahead of her would be Cat Zingano and/or Sara McMann. Also, she has decent stand up and TDD, along with good top control (though her sub defense is a bit suspect). She's pretty well rounded, but she's not the best. I expect her to beat Tate and Carmouche again if they ever fought. Tate's striking is really bad, and Kaufman's TDD has improved enough that she will beat Tate up even more (and I don't dislike Tate, and I like Carmouche).

On the flip side, if you look at Eye's record, it's mostly decision-heavy, while Kaufman is more finish heavy. Kaufman also has fought better competition at 135 than Eye has fought at 125. In fact, Eye's competition is nowhere near as deep as Kaufman's. Eye also has a single suspect loss - against someone that's clearly not so good.

That being said, I expect this fight to be closer than most expect. Eye is not a bad fighter. But Kaufman is probably a Top Five Bantamweight, and if Eye can beat her, Eye has a serious chance of beating every Bantamweight not named Ronda Rousey. However, as it stands, Kaufman is the rightful favorite, though I think the fight is a lot closer than anyone thinks.

Actually, I believe McMann was supposed to fight Kaufman, which would have been a huge step up in competition for McMann. Had McMann beaten Kaufman, McMann would have been right after Cat Zingano.

Last edited:
Eye is so attractive, but it's hard to bet against Kaufman on this one

Kaufman doesn't impress me all the time but I can't argue with her record. She's only lost twice while facing the upper level of her division pretty consistently.

She's also been physically stronger than most of her opponents at 135 while Eye is coming up from 125.

I don't have much feeling about how this fight will go but it would be hard to not see Kaufman as the favorite.

My penis says Eye, but my brain says Kaufman.

Eye is so attractive, but it's hard to bet against Kaufman on this one

I forgot to add, Kaufman is strong as fuck, too. About the only time I've seen someone overpower her is Rousey.
Kaufman doesn't impress me all the time but I can't argue with her record. She's only lost twice while facing the upper level of her division pretty consistently.

She's also been physically stronger than most of her opponents at 135 while Eye is coming up from 125.

I don't have much feeling about how this fight will go but it would be hard to not see Kaufman as the favorite.

Agreed. But I wouldn't count Eye just yet.

The problem is Kaufman seems to have declined over the past 3 years or so.

The Kaufman of slam-KOing her opponents doesn't exist anymore. That seems obvious to me. If Kaufman does beat Eye, I'm certain it will be by decision.

Zing!

:brofist:

stash-1-5115aa7b2e818.gif

The problem is Kaufman seems to have declined over the past 3 years or so.

The Kaufman of slam-KOing her opponents doesn't exist anymore. That seems obvious to me. If Kaufman does beat Eye, I'm certain it will be by decision.

Decline? Explain. Not that I disagree, but Kaufman can still Tate and Carmouche if you ask me. If Kaufman has declined, where does that leave those two?

Decline? Explain. Not that I disagree, but Kaufman can still Tate and Carmouche if you ask me. If Kaufman has declined, where does that leave those two?

From what I've seen watching her fights. I can't quantify it except to say she's had no finishes and only close decisions.

I don't think she could beat Carmouche. Carmouche would put her on her back and get a TKO. Dunno about Tate.

Frankly I see Kaufman being put on her back by Eye, I just don't know how long Eye will keep her there or whether she's good enough to get a sub.

Frankly I see Kaufman being put on her back by Eye, I just don't know how long Eye will keep her there or whether she's good enough to get a sub.

LIke I said, I'm not count her out, but I'm not counting her in.

From what I've seen watching her fights. I can't quantify it except to say she's had no finishes and only close decisions.

I don't think she could beat Carmouche. Carmouche would put her on her back and get a TKO. Dunno about Tate.

You do know that Kaufman beat Carmouche by a dominant decision, right? Carmouche hasn't improved enough to beat Kaufman yet.

Yes, that was mid-2011 and around the time Kaufman seems to have faded. It's been a while since I've seen that fight but I do remember thinking that Carmouche seemed to be off. If they fought again now, I'm confident Liz would win a one-sided fight, finishing Kaufman via TKO. Liz has improved more than any female fighter I can think of, she was fantastic against Andrade in her last fight.

Kaufman seems to be a female version of JDS solely in terms of how she fights (not a comparison of skill). She is primarily a boxer, nothing more. She's a good technical striker but I've never been impressed with her, and over the past 2-3 years she seems to have gotten slow and ineffective. Just my opinion from what I've seen when watching her fights.

Liz lasted longer than anyone with Rousey, Kaufman lasted like 45 seconds. One of Ronda's quickest victories. That's gotta say something.

Jessica is pleasing for the Eye(s) while Kaufman is obviously better , fightnig skills wise.

I'm just bored with Sarah's matches, they look all the same and are pretty uneventful...Till somebody better than her like Rousey and Coenen subbed her.

I don't think Jessica can do that to her and both chicks tend to go to the decisions a LOT.

It will be Kaufman by UD as usual here.

I used to be a bigger believer in Kaufman . . . But she's a little small for the division and too one-dimensional I think.

Yes, that was mid-2011 and around the time Kaufman seems to have faded. It's been a while since I've seen that fight but I do remember thinking that Carmouche seemed to be off. If they fought again now, I'm confident Liz would win a one-sided fight, finishing Kaufman via TKO. Liz has improved more than any female fighter I can think of, she was fantastic against Andrade in her last fight.

Kaufman seems to be a female version of JDS solely in terms of how she fights (not a comparison of skill). She is primarily a boxer, nothing more. She's a good technical striker but I've never been impressed with her, and over the past 2-3 years she seems to have gotten slow and ineffective. Just my opinion from what I've seen when watching her fights.

Like I said, you haven't shown how Kaufman has faded. That doesn't mean Eye can't beat Kaufman (she certainly has a chance, of course).

As for her "slowing down', it's more like she hasn't improved. A lot of her early competition were way worse than she is. Once she hit the upper echelon of WMMA, she was winning decisions against them, most of the time, dominant decisions.

As for her only split decision loss and her only majority decision win, those fights were because Kaufman chose not to fight safe. Every time Kaufman fights smart, she wins a good (but boring) decision.

Liz lasted longer than anyone with Rousey, Kaufman lasted like 45 seconds. One of Ronda's quickest victories. That's gotta say something.

Kaufman was fighting scared, and quite frankly, Rousey has Kaufman's number. Rousey is stronger than she is (most fighters that fight against Kaufman usually have a strength disadvantage), and Rousey has great a great armbar. Kaufman's armbar defense isn't exactly stellar.

I used to be a bigger believer in Kaufman . . . But she's a little small for the division and too one-dimensional I think.

Actually, she's not one-dimensional, but rather she's great at nothing, but jack of all trades (except on her back). I also agree she could fight at a smaller division. Then again, so can Miesha Tate, Liz Carmouche, and Cat Zingano.

Honestly I have Eye pulling off the upset, I just hope Kaufman doesn't get cut. She's an excellent fighter.

I concede my reasons for thinking Kaufman has faded are very subjective, it's just my opinion based on her past few fights.

But can someone give me their reasons for why "Kaufman is obviously better"? She may be better and she may win but it's not obvious to me. Doubtful actually.

Back