Karma strikes Aljo

It’s absolute comedy that some are trying to argue that Sterling is a more legitimate champ than Yan was. The guy was getting his ass beat by Yan and won on a technicality.

True, Yan doesn't have a deep resume. His only good win is Sterling.

He's not wrong though.

Yan's best win is Jimmie, who wasn't really at the top.

At least Sterling has some top wins. He even beat Jimmie way better than Yan did.

I wasn't deaf to the remarks about Yan's lack of tough competition and occasionally inconsistent performances, but I think his showing last night (prior to that fucktarded knee, anyway) following immediately after him finishing Aldo goes a long way toward silencing that noise. It should, anyway.

A lot of people saw Aljo as the rightful #1 contender: experienced, the best all-around grappler at 135, lots of great performances to his name. They thought he'd go in and expose Petr. But instead once he got going he was stuffing Aljo left and right and even offensively outgrappling him, dumping him on his ass at will in between landing big shots and simply being the much fresher fighter late in a 5-round fight.

I think he's more than shown that he belongs in talks among the Bantamweight elite and that he was a fairly legitimate champion in hindsight, not just some placeholder waiting to get bowled over the moment a real top contender showed up to take the strap off his hands.

Except he didn't beat him.
He did. The rematch is just bureaucracy, like signing documents. Many (including me) were hyping this fight and saying Sterling could win; who cares about it now? It's just gonna hold the division back.

He did. The rematch is just bureaucracy, like signing documents. Many (including me) were hyping this fight and saying Sterling could win; who cares about it now? It's just gonna hold the division back.

Well I don't think Yan should get the immediate rematch but it will most likely happen.

Yan was most likely going to be 3-1 up (or worse case scenario 2-2) against a gassed Sterling. So he most likely was going to win. However he lost because of one of the most blatant fouls I've ever seen in the UFC.

He beat Sterling

1) We're talking about an old post that Sterling made. His best win at the time was Jimmie.

and 2) He didn't beat Sterling. He got DQd.

Sterling is such a fucking dramatic dude.

fucking cringe bro.

He's not wrong though.

At least Sterling has some top wins. He even beat Jimmie way better than Yan did.
<mma3>

1) We're talking about an old post that Sterling made. His best win at the time was Jimmie.

and 2) He didn't beat Sterling. He got DQd.
1) you were speaking in the present tense
2) he beat sterling and got dqd

if you wanna be "technically correct" (i.e. correct in a sense that nobody cares) at all costs, then yan isn't a paper champ. he won the belt according to the rules. it's 100% legit, there's nothing in the rules saying that you have to beat someone better than jimmie to be the champ

It doesn't particularly matter when yesterday's fight made it abundantly clear who is the better fighter..

It matters when we're talking about an old post that Sterling made at the time.

Yan did prove himself to be the better fighter, at least last night anyway. Who knows how the rematch will go. I'm sure Sterling isn't coming in without making some adjustments.

Anyway, I would regard Aldo as a better win than Rivera ?

Are you asking me? Or asking if you yourself regard Aldo as a better win than Rivera?

If you're asking me then I'd put them pretty close to each other. Aldo was coming off two losses and had never fought at BW.

Aldo had some struggles with Chito, and he was competitive against Yan for a bit, but let's not pretend like he was anywhere near his prime, or that Prime Aldo would ever have any trouble with fighters like Yan or Chito lol.

if you wanna be "technically correct" (i.e. correct in a sense that nobody cares) at all costs, then yan isn't a paper champ. he won the belt according to the rules. it's 100% legit, there's nothing in the rules saying that you have to beat someone better than jimmie to be the champ

I don't think Yan is actually a paper champ. Sterling is wrong about that. He was in a scheduled title fight. He won that and thus the belt, no matter what Sterling or anyone else wants to say about it now.

I'm talking about his resume. It is paper thin. Thankfully, Yan has made it clear he has no problems with rectifying that and going after the top challengers.

And what do you mean he beat Sterling and got DQd? If he'd beat him he'd be the champ right now. He lost, however ridiculous the whole scenario was.

I think both parties need to stop posting shit.
Let everything settle for a bit and then commence the shit talk

It doesn't particularly matter when yesterday's fight made it abundantly clear who is the better fighter..

Anyway, I would regard Aldo as a better win than Rivera ?

Why?

His one win in the division was grind against Chito Vera.

Moraes got finished by the last two guys that he fought.

Aldo isn't anywhere near what he used to be.

He's not wrong though.

Dude did you not just watch Yan absolutely dummy Aljo and have him turning his head and running from strikes when he got hit.....?

Yan got leapfrogged over two guys with better resumes in the division to fight a guy with no wins in the division for the belt.

He was a paper champ.

He proved that he was genuinely elite last night though.

Dude did you not just watch Yan absolutely dummy Aljo and have him turning his head and running from strikes when he got hit.....?

Yeh, bro, I saw that. Then he got DQd and lost the fight, regardless of how he looked up until that point.

Yan's best win right now is still Jimmie. It is what it is.

Back