Karate VS UFC Kid - Took my MMA kid to a Karate tournament.

Here are some elite athlete kids of similar age. Steveo is a beast and would be a killer in MMA

Pico.jpg
Arron pico in USFL:

He is a travel wrestler. Third at states (MD). Does Greco and freestyle. He was second at kids pans (worlds IBJJF) in BJJ. Won states in boxing silver gloves got second place in regional silver gloves. And is the National mma 97# champion for USFL the organization Arron pico fought in as a kid.

he is following the Arron pico blueprint to a tee. Sooo.. good advice brother. We are on it.

Arron pico in USFL:
That's good, I'd get him out of the mcdojo stuff though. What league are you in in MD that's where I grew up

I think the worst part of all this is this dad lets his 12 year old read sherdog

He destroys the State champion wrestler types in the cage.... they are kinda the easiest opponents due to lack of striking and BJJ. They take the loss the hardest too.

40-0 on track wrestling 0-1 in the cage.... just stating exaggerated facts

Last edited:
Sparring in boxing gyms shouldn’t really be called sparring.

It’s a fight with bigger gloves, basically. Shits ridiculous.

Your kid can definitely scrap. I would be careful with that shit though, and monitor how much sparring he’s doing when it comes to striking sports for obvious reasons.

One of the biggest eye openers for me was going from a boxing background into Muay Thai. The difference in sparring was unreal. Boxing sparring was just an all out war with broken noses and knockouts being a frequent occurrence, even in headgear. Muay Thai sparring on the other hand, was rarely done above about 50%.

The interesting thing was both methods produced brilliant fighters, but I know which sparring method I would rather have my non-existent son partake in.
I wish I’d found a striking gym that only weren’t 50% lol. Th amount of ass whoopings I took while 16 and training was immense lol.

Like someone else said, with the amount of weirdos on here and on the internet in general, it's odd to let your kid read this shit.

@Irresponsible Dad

He seems to rely more on his toughness than his technique. He’s quick enough on his feet to move in and out of range and take waaaay less damage than he does. I understand that he feels he can stand and trade shots with anyone in his age group but he’s fast enough to avoid over 50% of the shots he’s absorbing. He should work on his pulls and pull-counters and do less stand still and trade. If he focused more on minimizing his opponent’s strikes landed % he would look far more dominant. jmho

He destroys the State champion wrestler types in the cage.... they are kinda the easiest opponents due to lack of striking and BJJ. They take the loss the hardest too.

40-0 on track wrestling 0-1 in the cage.... just stating exaggerated facts

Wait for puberty bud, different world.

my kid, Rhonin Swenson, is training for Youth MMA nationals (Apex Center). Then headed to worlds Rome, Italy (event sponsored by UFC). He needs some competition experience so it took him to a karate tournament. He did good. Karate guys are legit competition. Who do you think won tho?

heh.. I had him read all the comments. Here’s his semi coached response. Yup your right sherbros. Cte in full effect can’t even remember what to say

Your kid won that fight based off of the highlight. Your son clocked the shit out of him repeatedly. If the highlight is indicative of the entire bout then your son was robbed of a well-deserved victory.

Give him my props. Great showing.

Like someone else said, with the amount of weirdos on here and on the internet in general, it's odd to let your kid read this shit.

a knowledgeable group of people pasionant about fighting give tons of great advice to an youth mma champion. Of course I’m gonna have him read it.

I let my kid fight in cages around the world and you find it odd I let him read sherdog

Nice, gabe was a beast. I was in the CAWL travel league back in the early 90s as a kid not sure if it still exists

no shit! Yes he is in cawl. Turned him into a beast. Hell ya brother.

he was on the fort belvior bulldogs in va. Taking everyone out. Had a record for a six second pin one year. Goes over to Wolfpack/cawl gets his ass whooped for 2 years strait before he could get on the back up dual team.

Md got good wrestlers and it’s nice to go up to pa for a challenge during Greco and freestyle season

I got nothing.. besides maybe work defense?

I did TKD at a McDojo in the 90s, before high school. It was mostly horseshit. Babysitting in gis. I entered several "sparring competitions", did well too, "earned a bb", still have a couple 1st place trophies in boxes.. And I never got into exchanges like that lol. Rarely saw them. I loved to target "bullies" who I thought were throwing too hard back then. tbh, it's still a little jarring to watch young people throw hard at first. I had to let that feeling flush out before watching properly.

my kid, Rhonin Swenson, is training for Youth MMA nationals (Apex Center). Then headed to worlds Rome, Italy (event sponsored by UFC). He needs some competition experience so it took him to a karate tournament. He did good. Karate guys are legit competition. Who do you think won tho?

heh.. I had him read all the comments. Here’s his semi coached response. Yup your right sherbros. Cte in full effect can’t even remember what to say

Your son did very well and you should definitely be proud of him. Even in the middle of wild exchanges you can see many very clean strikes on both guys. Better techniques than many pros.

OK MATE.

I think the worst part of all this is this dad lets his 12 year old read sherdog
What’s that supposed to mean I read sherdog was 12 and I turned out....into a ../yeah.....

Looked great! Seems like a nice boy too. Here's wishing him good luck at Nationals and in Rome!

Why are you posting videos of your child on this retarded forum? What the fuck is wrong with you?

As a good father and grandfather, my very own grand daughter is in a meat grinder with dance, gymnastics, and mostly cheerleading. She is the flyer in cheer and is getting trained by a former world champ coach. It is some difficult stuff she is learning and injuries do happen often. But it is also the time she feels most alive and important. And check it out. Cheer has more injuries than MMA or hockey or a number of other contact sports. The thing most people are missing is, SHE wants to be there, and loves doing it, so I am there to make sure she gets support and whatever $$ she needs.

This guy made this thread as a proud parent. And it takes some serious dedication to have a kid make it as far as his kid has. My neighbor kid is a wrestler and in MMA. He is all over the world. He trains in Barrie with Goodridge. (or used to a few years back) The dad works like three jobs to pay for it all.

I am going to post this, and go back and give this guy a like, as well as all of you should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back