Karate... that's funny !

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Always been a karate advocate here. Even if it's not the most effective MA on its own, i think it's a great tool when practising mixed martial arts.

It's nice to see different techniques being used. The more the merrier. If it works it works.

Agreed. If a Karate dude is able to stuff TD's and avoid grappling they can do pretty well in MMA.

Karate is really made for lanky fighters, I doubt a shorter man would be as effective. Thompson has the right body and athleticism to make it work.

Like I said striking is making a come back. They learned good tdd now they own. The tide always shifts

Karate is really made for lanky fighters, I doubt a shorter man would be as effective. Thompson has the right body and athleticism to make it work.

Machida isn't lanky.

Elements of karate have always worked. Which is actually impressive considering the judges have always favored wrestling where a TD, a couple minutes of wall n stall or lay and pray basically wins the round despite the striker winning the standup.

Ha! I actually thought of that Ellenberger quote right after last night's fight. Ellenberger was so smug when he said it too.

Imo part of why Karate and TKD are working these days, is that so many fighters are used to muay thai and defending against MT attacks, that the different timing of karate and TKD strikes throws them off a lot. It's easy to get good MT training partners, harder to get good karate training partners.

Back