karate dojo in NY hit with a law suit

Accually it is a JKD school. I met the owner and saw his scool y back ( not to train just to see) and they were assholes always talking about how hard they train and they pide themselves in full-contact, I accually remembr one person saying if you cant take he heat lave type of comment( wasn't saying it to me to another spectator who decided to leave, I was just laughng) here pogram is week few guys who can throw a kick or two no skill level at all!!!!

I am glad this happened because they took pride on bullying new peope there to make themselves look good that is not the way to train. When me and a few guys from my old gym went down to do few rounds with there head guys of sparring thet got KTFO lol

i just dont get that mentality. I have two schools and we pick up students all the time that have been to these "meat market" places. They get seriously hurt right off the bat, and the school acts like its some right of passage, I dont get it.

I was talking to some guy at a party that teaches women's self defense and he said "you're not a member of our school until you've been kicked in the balls." He teaches Progressive Martial Arts and kept talking about how it would destroy Muay Thai because they practice headbutts, straight kicks to the balls and eye gouging.

He teaches Progressive Martial Arts and kept talking about how it would destroy Muay Thai because they practice headbutts, straight kicks to the balls and eye gouging.

That would do nothing more than piss off every legit MT practitioner I've ever met. And get you kneed into oblivion.

Funny thing is that in my experience working with newbies in sparring, the person most at risk for getting injured was me. That is, I'd have to apply extra control to keep from hurting them if they did something stupid like ducking into a kick while trying not to get clobbered by a wild, uncontrolled spaz-kicks which always seemed to find my knees, ballsack, or in a couple odd cases my jaw.

LOL Oh yeah. Getting kicked in the balls HARD by a new student always sucks. Especially because for a couple weeks after they tend to walk around like they legitimitely beat your ass.

King Kabuki said:
Not really:

http://www.roettgerdds.com/sports_dentistry.asp

There's also this thread where Tom gives all kinds of info about how custom mouthguards protect teeth:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7991168#post7991168

I'm not a dentist so I'm not sure who is right but I have had 3 custom mouth guards made (dog seems to be attracted to them) by 2 different dentists and they both told me that they do not protect your teeth from being knocked out. I have another dentist who trains at my gym and I will ask him tonight what he thinks.

Okay. But the science behind it is right on that first website. Sports dentistry might be different than actual dentistry though, Tom addresses that in the second thread a little when someone asks him about Dentist custom mouthguards versus the ones he makes.

I could see why there's debate on the subject. But tooth protection is what mouthpieces were made for in sports. For head protection, that's what helmet's and such were made for.

Eduardo R. said:
Pretty lame for a guy to break a newbies jaw but the kid probably did sign a waver. Also for all the people talking about mouth guards in this thread: mouthguards do nothing or very very little to protect your teeth from being knocked out, their purpose is to create a cushion to prevent concusion.

I also disagree with you. When you take an uppercut with sufficient force, for instance, your teeth could very easily chip etc. if you didn't have your mouth piece in. For granted, boxing gloves have a decent amount of padding that disperses energy over a broader front (than if you were bare fisted) and thereby lower the risk for geeting teeth knocked out, but mouth pieces contribute to this "force dispersion" also and therby effectively protetecting your teeth.

Well, mouthguards clearly do protect the teeth to a certain extent.

But that's not the reason you wear them, not the main reason anyway.

They are there to prevent concussion.

They can help your teeth too, certainly, but the main reason is to stop your brain dancing inside your skull and getting some serious damage. The reason you bite so hard into a mouthpiece is to stabilise the jaw and the brain within the skull.

Gregster said:
Funny thing is that in my experience working with newbies in sparring, the person most at risk for getting injured was me. That is, I'd have to apply extra control to keep from hurting them if they did something stupid like ducking into a kick while trying not to get clobbered by a wild, uncontrolled spaz-kicks which always seemed to find my knees, ballsack, or in a couple odd cases my jaw.
I fear teh n00bs.

But I fear even more the guys who get so scared that they get all tense and therefore lose control over their kicks and punches.

DKM76 said:
January 17, 2006 -- A Bronx teen has sued a Midtown karate school, claiming that as a novice student, he was wrongly paired with a highly skilled student-instructor, who kicked him in the face, breaking his jaw.
Jonah Stevens, 19, says he was at Anderson's Martial Arts school at 35 W. 31st St. in January 2003 when he was paired with the student-instructor for practice

What kind of kick would it take to bust someones jaw & loosen their teeth?- a pretty friggin hard one- which is inexcusable coming from an instructor who should have enough skill, control & common sense to take it easy on a n00b.

If I sent my kid to a MA class & he came home with a busted jaw & loose teeth from an INSTRUCTOR, I'd be looking to sue as well to recover the money I'd have to fork out in dental work.

Please allow me to combine a noob and a mouthguards story.

This TKD guy shows up at our BJJ school to try a class. He rolls with one of our advanced white belts. Our guy takes his back and the TKD guy turns violently and nails him right in the front teeth with his elbow. Our guy had both his front teeth knocked backwards in a weird angle. He had to go to the dentist to have them re-aligned.

Had he be wearing a mouthguard it would have probably just ended with a swollen lip.

I don't know. You know I have the utmost respect for ya EEG. But I choose to remain dubious on this notion for one reason:

I've seen cases of fighters getting concussions from blows while not loosing teeth with the mouthpiece in. Yet I have never seen or heard of the converse happening. A fighter loosing teeth with the mouthpiece in while a concussion was prevented.

If there is such a case I'd love to hear about it and learn the physics as to why it occurred.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Well, mouthguards clearly do protect the teeth to a certain extent.

They can help your teeth too, certainly, but the main reason is to stop your brain dancing inside your skull and getting some serious damage. The reason you bite so hard into a mouthpiece is to stabilise the jaw and the brain within the skull.

I'm pretty positive it's the other way around. I remember my first mouthguard I got, it came w/ a note regarding a 10k insurance thing if u're teeth broke when wearing it. the brain thing i think is secondary

mouthguards are made for the purpose of protecting your teeth, but many people involved in the field of sports medicine believe that it helps protect against concussions as well. but the claims of protection against concussions are unproven as far as i know, and they are definitely secondary to dental protection.

Back