Karate Concept: Reactions Off the Break

I can't believe these guys are passing themselves off as karate teachers.

They've been corrupted by MMA. 'In this case, I would crash into the guy's center (partner reels back)," and so on & etc. cetra ect., etc. and so on.<6>

I can't believe these guys are passing themselves off as karate teachers.

They've been corrupted by MMA. 'In this case, I would crash into the guy's center (partner reels back)," and so on & etc. cetra ect., etc. and so on.<6>
Karate is a mixed martial art...the “old masters” even said karate should evolve and change as the times change.

They’re karateka with BJJ experience to help close the gaps in their karate.

What exactly do you do you pass off as karate? I’d love to see an example.

Karate is a mixed martial art...
That's what I got out of Hotora's chart.<WellThere>

the “old masters” even said karate should evolve and change as the times change.
<Cage33>
Hadn't heard.

<{anton}>
MMA karate. Fixed.

Well, I've just watched videos. Put up some good ones, both + & -. Truth is though, karate practice is all over the map. YT says so.<30>

I like Judo as an example of the Eastern martial arts. It's true it is very sport-oriented in it's practice. Not @ it's roots though.

The OP, these kind of videos can be a great help. Frode put up that one of the BJJ Masher mashing the Aikidoka? REally liked that example upon consideration.

Here, it's too much like guys betting together in gym class. Un ah. Here's a judo video which I fell starts to illustrate what I'm talking about. Not that anyone MMA-minded would get it. Strangely, people in the Judo class don't question everything as MMA like TSF. Huh.
Judo - Osoto Gari - 大外刈
•Dec 4, 2012

Flash Mavi
115K subscribers

What the "karate" guys are doing is just representing what is already developed and trying to convey as if traditional practitioners need to know what they have discovered. It's already discovered all over Japan. For hundred years + Judo wise and centuries Juijitsu wise.

I don't particularly care for O Soto Gari, or this presentation. The point is there are certain things going on that make it work. The Throw teaches you the different parts. The reasons for combat are implicit.

First the first level of Judo, there are eight throws. Not sure how many we have to test on, don't think it's all of them. But really, there is so much ground covered for these early belts it's not funny.

These karate grapplers just aren't adding value from art that already isn't known. The real challenge is learning all that goes into Judo, starting w throws.

I looked a little farther into the video and for the OP & MMA purposes I see the value for the MMA audience. It's the approach of that audience which I object to.

Taking the O Soto Gari, the explicit lesson of the OP video is implicit in the throw, doing the throw. One has to perform the proper steps the proper way. The opponent isn't some muppet who just blobs there. They will be fighting back.<22>

So basically one has to have their brain on.<21>

Here's a Judo version of the OP, not so hot in my book.

The problem w these YT presentations is that the presentation itself is more important than the art. They are trying to show off what they can do. Which is poor Judo.

And blending in MMA, take boxing the import of footwork. The skill has to be grown. This Judo Black belt has the crappiest footwork boxing has ever wrought, along with his 7th grader hand guard. It's got dumb written all over it. The hands aren't supposed to be weakly flopping around loosely. They are to be relaxed yet have another quality.

The Judo Instructor's posture is bad, and his position into the entry poor. He could be readily countered. Hes' actually off balance.

This is why traditional martial arts like Judo aren't seen working in MMA. It takes more than guys getting together in a high school gym setting to deliver effect traditional technique.<23>

Forums want to talk about stuff endless which muddies it ever worse.<VinceShock>

Karate is a mixed martial art...the “old masters” even said karate should evolve and change as the times change.

MMA & YT want to create a drill for everything. MMA wants to micromanage your every move w some 'evolved' instruction. Which means they don't understand how the basic art works.

Judo is an evolved art. It's very scientific in it's works. Don't need Firas Zahabi's life lessons (for example). <KingstonFrown> Judo art is way above any of his input.<{smellit?}>

Not that MMA training can't be good. Even that, however, is trained so dumbly it makes the good technical s come out dumb.

Profitable business that drives this site though.<VinceCa$h>

Last edited:
I'm in trouble for posting karate videos. So I have to be careful. Here's a boxing one I think teaches a great lesson applicable to the OP. Boxing footwork, which I don't warm to.
Boxing Footwork Technique #1 - Step-drag
•Sep 4, 2012

expertboxing
234K subscribers

It's a shorty 'cause theres' expert boxing here... so I'm a little know nothing. Personally, I don't like this guy's brand of boxing footwork... but that's personal. What he says is gargantuan. Gotta be on stance with weight down. Simple concept a universe of striking importance.

Technique for boxing depends on this. Judo technique depends on the Judo equivalent. Can't just go do this like this, when it's like this,,, walking and ambling around. It's just dumb stuff trying to look like something. And as shown, easy to screw up.

Last edited:

Here's a demo of Uki Gohi, another throw I have to know but don't like. I use however, the same body hold for O Goshi as shown here for Uki Goshi.
Judo - Uki-goshi
•Jan 11, 2012

Mercuryu Judo
14.6K subscribers

Judo techniek Uki-goshi. Onderdeel van het Nage-waza (Koshi-waza). Kijk voor meer informatie op:

This is very much how we look in class. There is a designed method inherent in Judo practice that extends naturally to actual action. You do Judo. The above video covers properly what the OP Karate Guys are clumsily, stumbling through, including their clumsy, stumbling through thinking. The pox of MMA & sport coaching influence.
<27>

Last edited:
so you criticize their karate, then when i ask what you pass of as karate you share judo, and boxing? good job.

There's an edit button.
Well you can always listen to these guys. Chock full of valuable MMA & striking analysis.
UFC 246: Star PR (Heavy Hands #299)
109 6 Share
Save

Heavy Hands

24.8K subscribers

Connor and Phil break down Conor McGregor's return fight against Donald Cerrone.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm guuuddd.<41>

Back