Karate Combat

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is this league good for the promotion of karate? Here is a promotional clip if you are unfamiliar:

Will it be long lasting, and generate interest by being the "first professional, full contact league"? What direction do you see it ultimately going?

Thoughts, and predictions?

Not sure how they force the rule set to be karate. No low kicks and must have a karate base is my guess. Meh

So kickboxing in gi pants?

I watched all the shows on Fight Pass and absolutely loved it. Excellent presentation, atmosphere, and aesthetics, plus the fights were really good, lots of action, I loved everything about it and want to see more.

I watched all the shows on Fight Pass and absolutely loved it. Excellent presentation, atmosphere, and aesthetics, plus the fights were really good, lots of action, I loved everything about it and want to see more.

I like it as well. I think it's good. I really like the set up, bringing the fighters to the arena in limousines in these exotic places. Good stuff.

Is this league good for the promotion of karate? Here is a promotional clip if you are unfamiliar:

Will it be long lasting, and generate interest by being the "first professional, full contact league"? What direction do you see it ultimately going?

Thoughts, and predictions?

there was a long thread made about this when it first came out and was discussed pretty good. I think the overall thought of it was its lame.

i dont like it, because of all the shitty camera angles, cut aways, fade aways, dramatic music, shitty views from the stands with peoples heads in the way. It is much more like a action scene in a movie than watching a fight. They do this because they are trying to hype it up and make it look more exciting than it is. Just put the camera in one damn spot and let us watch the fight like its a boxing match.

i was hyped to see it when it came out. they are trying to promote karate, but i think its a fail. I think the best way to change the publics general concept of karate would be to start promoting kyokushin fights, but allow punches to the head. Or maybe have Kudo fights, with no headgear.

there was a long thread made about this when it first came out and was discussed pretty good. I think the overall thought of it was its lame.

i dont like it, because of all the shitty camera angles, cut aways, fade aways, dramatic music, shitty views from the stands with peoples heads in the way. It is much more like a action scene in a movie than watching a fight. They do this because they are trying to hype it up and make it look more exciting than it is. Just put the camera in one damn spot and let us watch the fight like its a boxing match.

i was hyped to see it when it came out. they are trying to promote karate, but i think its a fail. I think the best way to change the publics general concept of karate would be to start promoting kyokushin fights, but allow punches to the head. Or maybe have Kudo fights, with no headgear.

Kudo needs to do something about those spaceman helmets.

I don't know why but the name reminds me of something like body combat (that gym class where girls punch and kick in the air).

It's been discussed in a lot of depth already both on this standup forum and on the MT/KB forum, I'd suggest using the search function and you'll find quite a few comments to go through about it.

But regarding your question on predictions of where it's going to go and if it will last, if I were to take a guess I'd say it will never become popular and die in not too long because of all the other options out there in terms of combat sports to watch which are already much more popular like MMA, Kickboxing, MT etc. And I say that as a fan of both Karate and Bas Rutten. Pro Fight Karate did something similar (which IMO was even better than this), and after a few events they had to stop because the number of people interested was smaller than expected.

I think the best way to change the publics general concept of karate would be to start promoting kyokushin fights, but allow punches to the head.

It's been done before and was called K-1 :)

I don't know why but the name reminds me of something like body combat (that gym class where girls punch and kick in the air).

It's been discussed in a lot of depth already both on this standup forum and on the MT/KB forum, I'd suggest using the search function and you'll find quite a few comments to go through about it.

But regarding your question on predictions of where it's going to go and if it will last, if I were to take a guess I'd say it will never become popular and die in not too long because of all the other options out there in terms of combat sports to watch which are already much more popular like MMA, Kickboxing, MT etc. And I say that as a fan of both Karate and Bas Rutten. Pro Fight Karate did something similar (which IMO was even better than this), and after a few events they had to stop because the number of people interested was smaller than expected.

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I'm not doing a search on Sherdog for topics. This is not a research database for me. It is just seeing current people with their current thoughts on a topic.

Think of it this way, will science ever just review old material to come up with or enforce a theory? No, they'll replicate the same thing at a later time, and see if those things are accurate or has something new been added.

Things change with time. Just as with the One Punch KO thread I posted recently. Has the thread been done before? Probably. Have there been more One Punch KOs since then? Probably yes as well. I'm personally not searching through threads, and organizing dates, this is not a library. lol

I think they just had an event recently in Karate Combat, could be mistaken. I like the touch of Bas Rutten, and what he brings. Hopefully they'll be more fights, and it will be allowed to grow and expand.

Thanks for the input.

It's been done before and was called K-1 :)

haha yeah and it was amazing successfull, although I myself never knew that, and I dont think most others did either. Most think of k1 as kickboxing rather than karate. I think something in the GI or at least the pants, but full rules would be good. plus k1 had such a big muay thai and kickboxing influence, it didnt really seem like karate. we have already been over this before, I like kudo for example, its full contact, but the guys have a TMA base so how they kick and move etc is different.

Personally, I don't like it, and I don't see it lasting.

For one thing, they brought in a bunch of elite-level WKF competitors and told them to fight full-contact, which left them throwing sloppy, overextended strikes thanks to all that training they've done to meet WKF scoring criteria. For those who don't know, in order for a punch (for example) to score in WKF, it has to make contact at full extension--meaning there is nothing left to make impact at that point--and then draw back. Older competition circuits, for comparison, required you to make contact "with control" (stopping short), but the technique had to have enough extension left to actually do damage if you didn't stop it. Essentially, WKF has messed up the range of fighting for everyone in it. Some of the guys doing KC have different competitive backgrounds, or train for more than just WKF-style competition, but MAN have I seem some of them overextend to try to land with power at the range they have trained to be at.

Additionally, I don't see that this is really anything that people outside of the sport karate community have any reason to care about. The karate-based kickboxing of the 80's was better, skill/technique-wise, and if they want to see kickboxing, they can watch that old footage, or K1 footage, or Glory, etc., so what value does this really add for the average combat sports fan? And as Tayski pointed out, there have been attempts to do something like this, before--some of which were decidedly better than what we're seeing from KC--and they fizzled out. The only thing this has going for it is Bas Rutten's endorsement, and we are getting to a point where a lot of MMA fans, sadly, don't even know who he is, so how long will that last?

To be honest, I also don't particularly care if it fails, because this is still just an attempt to promote the karate meant for school children, instead of promoting the material that is more comprehensive, effective, and useful for those with an interest in MMA. The long range fighting thing in karate came from Kendo when karate went to Japan and became popular with high school and university students, which came along with a serious watering down of the art and removal of most of the stuff that made it effective. For the same reason, I don't care if karate completely flops in the 2020 Olympics, and kind of hope that it does, because that doesn't represent the karate I do, and honestly gives people the wrong impression of what karate is supposed to be. If they had set KC or the Olympics up to focus on the close range fighting methods of karate, then we would be on to something, but that isn't as flashy and exciting. I've considered trying to set up a circuit for that, but honestly, Arizona is just terrible for such things--we don't even have a knockdown competition circuit out here--and I don't have the clout or capital to set up something larger.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like it, and I don't see it lasting.

For one thing, they brought in a bunch of elite-level WKF competitors and told them to fight full-contact, which left them throwing sloppy, overextended strikes thanks to all that training they've done to meet WKF scoring criteria. For those who don't know, in order for a punch (for example) to score in WKF, it has to make contact at full extension--meaning there is nothing left to make impact at that point--and then draw back. Older competition circuits, for comparison, required you to make contact "with control" (stopping short), but the technique had to have enough extension left to actually do damage if you didn't stop it. Essentially, WKF has messed up the range of fighting for everyone in it. Some of the guys doing KC have different competitive backgrounds, or train for more than just WKF-style competition, but MAN have I seem some of them overextend to try to land with power at the range they have trained to be at.

Additionally, I don't see that this is really anything that people outside of the sport karate community have any reason to care about. The karate-based kickboxing of the 80's was better, skill/technique-wise, and if they want to see kickboxing, they can watch that old footage, or K1 footage, or Glory, etc., so what value does this really add for the average combat sports fan? And as Tayski pointed out, there have been attempts to do something like this, before--some of which were decidedly better than what we're seeing from KC--and they fizzled out. The only thing this has going for it is Bas Rutten's endorsement, and we are getting to a point where a lot of MMA fans, sadly, don't even know who he is, so how long will that last?

To be honest, I also don't particularly care if it fails, because this is still just an attempt to promote the karate meant for school children, instead of promoting the material that is more comprehensive, effective, and useful for those with an interest in MMA. The long range fighting thing in karate came from Kendo when karate went to Japan and became popular with high school and university students, which came along with a serious watering down of the art and removal of most of the stuff that made it effective. For the same reason, I don't care if karate completely flops in the 2020 Olympics, and kind of hope that it does, because that doesn't represent the karate I do, and honestly gives people the wrong impression of what karate is supposed to be. If they had set KC or the Olympics up to focus on the close range fighting methods of karate, then we would be on to something, but that isn't as flashy and exciting. I've considered trying to set up a circuit for that, but honestly, Arizona is just terrible for such things--we don't even have a knockdown competition circuit out here--and I don't have the clout or capital to set up something larger.

i agree with you, its a attempt to promote karate in a huge fail kinda way. they are just making it look bad. it seems like your average MMA or MT fighter could get in there, fight their rules, and mop these guys up that are karate champions.

chuck norris's world combat league was way better and that also failed, it could have been the time that he did it also. I think if world combat league came out today, it would do better than it did back in the day

and i think they're emphasizing 'technology' too much...people just wanna watch fights and not see heartrates or temperature...

Back