Kansestu geri, why don’t we see more?

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
kansetsu geri is a kick to a joint, typically the outside or back of the knee.
Essentially a side thrust kick to the knee.

Have I missed a rule that forbids it in UFC and most other mma rules?

Sparring in the dojo, and backyard fight nights I had good success with it, so I’ve always wondered why I don’t ever see it used.

It is used in the UFC, I've seen it and it was used in pride too back in the day. You can break your opponents knee using that so that's why not much people use it.

Jon Jones is the guy who uses it the most though.

"Backyard fight nights"? I've been in street boxing matches in the hood. Doesn't mean I can hit a superman punch on everybody.

It is used in the UFC, I've seen it and it was used in pride too back in the day. You can break your opponents knee using that so that's why not much people use it.

Jon Jones is the guy who uses it the most though.

"Backyard fight nights"? I've been in street boxing matches in the hood. Doesn't mean I can hit a superman punch on everybody.
ive seen the kicks to the front of the knee, and the weird inside knee kick, but never one to the outside or rear.

Yep backyard fight nights. They were good times won the fights against people in my weight range lol.
Not really sure the point of your last bit there was. Just saying I’ve had success with the technique and what context I had that success in.

ive seen the kicks to the front of the knee, and the weird inside knee kick, but never one to the outside or rear.

Yep backyard fight nights. They were good times won the fights against people in my weight range lol.
Not really sure the point of your last bit there was. Just saying I’ve had success with the technique and what context I had that success in.

By outside knee what are you referring too? Like the side of the knee?

If so that's harder to do on a resisting opponent especially in the UFC. The min you go to the outside there going to turn immediately.

By outside knee what are you referring too? Like the side of the knee?

If so that's harder to do on a resisting opponent especially in the UFC. The min you go to the outside there going to turn immediately.
lol yes as in the outside of the knee rather than the inside of the knee.

and yet people end up on the side of their opponents fairly regularly. it's easy to say, 'they will just turn' if discussing a single technique in a vacuum...a round house to the thigh you can make the same argument against but i've seen that (not as often as round house to the calf though). just turn and take it on the front of the thigh where it will hurt less.

lol yes as in the outside of the knee rather than the inside of the knee.

and yet people end up on the side of their opponents fairly regularly. it's easy to say, 'they will just turn' if discussing a single technique in a vacuum...a round house to the thigh you can make the same argument against but i've seen that (not as often as round house to the calf though). just turn and take it on the front of the thigh where it will hurt less.

It is hard dude lol. Your opponent if he knows what he's doing hes not going to take his eyes off you. It's like football when ever somebody has the ball they focus on that one person and which ever direction the guy with the ball goes you go, and you have to try and cut him off and not lose him.

It is hard dude lol. Your opponent if he knows what he's doing hes not going to take his eyes off you. It's like football when ever somebody has the ball they focus on that one person and which ever direction the guy with the ball goes you go, and you have to try and cut him off and not lose him.
so you’re telling me that flying punches, kicks, and knees, are easier to land than a side kick to the knee?
You’re telling me that it’s easier to read and shut down a side thrust kick to the knee than it is a spinning backfist, elbow, or any of the spinning kicks that are seen fairly regularly in MMA?

Is that what you’re saying? It’s harder to get out of the way of someone who’s flying through the air than someone who does a quick side step?

I’m still learning everyone’s background and experience level here, so maybe I missed something but you seem fairly new martial arts/combat sports a boxing only background. If I’m wrong please fill me in on the rest, but it doesn’t seem you have much experience with kicks in general

so you’re telling me that flying punches, kicks, and knees, are easier to land than a side kick to the knee?
You’re telling me that it’s easier to read and shut down a side thrust kick to the knee than it is a spinning backfist, elbow, or any of the spinning kicks that are seen fairly regularly in MMA?

Is that what you’re saying? It’s harder to get out of the way of someone who’s flying through the air than someone who does a quick side step?

I’m still learning everyone’s background and experience level here, so maybe I missed something but you seem fairly new martial arts/combat sports a boxing only background. If I’m wrong please fill me in on the rest, but it doesn’t seem you have much experience with kicks in general

Superman punches are easier than quick stepping and side kicking the side of the knee. And I don't just know boxing I know muay thai too. And I have never seen it even from a guy who has a jeet kune do background and even from a wing Chun practitioner not from a karate black belt who teaches karate.

I question your knowledge too. If you think it's so easy, try going to a kickboxing or muay thai gym and doing it.

Superman punches can be timed better than a quick step to side kick.

Superman punches are easier than quick stepping and side kicking the side of the knee. And I don't just know boxing I know muay thai too. And I have never seen it even from a guy who has a jeet kune do background and even from a wing Chun practitioner not from a karate black belt who teaches karate.

I question your knowledge too. If you think it's so easy, try going to a kickboxing or muay thai gym and doing it.

Superman punches can be timed better than a quick step to side kick.
like I’ve said I’ve fought full contact and had no problems utilizing the technique.
Everyone I fought was either a boxer, KB, various Asian martial arts, or in one case a guy who trained ‘MMA’ and had a year in the local amateur league.

Well I’m going to let this thread die out unless someone new chooses to chime in with a fresh perspective.

like I’ve said I’ve fought full contact and had no problems utilizing the technique.
Everyone I fought was either a boxer, KB, various Asian martial arts, or in one case a guy who trained ‘MMA’ and had a year in the local amateur league.

Well I’m going to let this thread die out unless someone new chooses to chime in with a fresh perspective.

Was their a name of the backyard fighting org? Because really I don't believe you. You just seem too close minded and seem like you haven't really done real fighting.

I don’t really care if you believe me or not.
Yes an illegal backyard fight club featuring 17-20 yr olds beating each other up had a name and is searchable a decade later.

I did train a fighter who fought in the local amateur league. Omaha fight club. Late 09 I believe was the year, Kevin McMahon. 2 wins 1 loss before he ran off to the army

I don’t really care if you believe me or not.
Yes an illegal backyard fight club featuring 17-20 yr olds beating each other up had a name and is searchable a decade later.

I did train a fighter who fought in the local amateur league. Omaha fight club. Late 09 I believe was the year, Kevin McMahon. 2 wins 1 loss before he ran off to the army

Oh ok. So you had a backyard fights featuring people from ages 17-20 year olds? And trained a fighter for mma or something when you only know karate? Send me a link to your backyard fights, or just tell me what to look up. Because really you landing a side step to side kick on everybody in there is like believing cm punk never lost a fight in his life. A good kickboxer would be able to avoid that shit.

Oh ok. So you had a backyard fights featuring people from ages 17-20 year olds? And trained a fighter for mma or something when you only know karate? Send me a link to your backyard fights, or just tell me what to look up. Because really you landing a side step to side kick on everybody in there is like believing cm punk never lost a fight in his life. A good kickboxer would be able to avoid that shit.
lmao a link to what?
I literally don’t care what you think.
I gave you a name of fighter and league he participated in, in a good faith effort to assuage your doubts, you can operate the google machine

(Also never said I only know karate. Lots of informal training in judo at the hombu dojo from a judo lineage that includes an Olympian helps too)

lmao a link to what?
I literally don’t care what you think.
I gave you a name of fighter and league he participated in, in a good faith effort to assuage your doubts, you can operate the google machine

(Also never said I only know karate. Lots of informal training in judo at the hombu dojo from a judo lineage that includes an Olympian helps too)

I looked up that fighter, in fact the only thing that came up was a musician lol.

The promotion exist but the fighter your talking about doesn't lol @JohnPJones you really aren't good at lying. And your not good at showing your knowledge. Send me a link to your backyard brawls so I can look it up.

I'm about to clock out of work soon so today would be nice.

You were right about jon Jones (not who I took my screen name from just for clarity).
He does actually do the kick I was talking about. Some times...with a side step. Found a compilation video that includes it a few times with other knee kicks

Lol if you say so.
Might also help if I spelled his name
right lol
Kevin mcmahan

And how far back do their records go? I doubt they keep info on 3 time fighters for 9 years lol.

Last edited:
kansetsu geri is a kick to a joint, typically the outside or back of the knee.
Essentially a side thrust kick to the knee.

Have I missed a rule that forbids it in UFC and most other mma rules?

Sparring in the dojo, and backyard fight nights I had good success with it, so I’ve always wondered why I don’t ever see it used.

Completely legal. We're just waiting for someone to use it effectively and make it popular. Conor MacGregor used it against Nate Diaz in their 1st fight and that's one of only 2 examples I can think of. It looked bad in slow motion but it didn't seem to do much to Nate and we all know how the fight ended so I'm pretty sure anyone who did see it has forgotten about it by now. Michelle Waterson vs. Rose Namajunas is the other, but once again, Waterson's kicks had little effect and she lost the fight so no one remembers that either.

Unless you get a spectacular KO like Anderson Silva and Machida's front kicks where everyone starts trying to copy it right away, it takes time for new techniques & concepts to get started in MMA. Brandon Vera introduced push kicks to the knee back in 2008 but it took a few more years before the Jackson-Winkeljohn fighters started doing it to everyone. GSP and Junior Dos Santos started jabbing people in the body nearly 10 years ago and even today there are few fighters who jab the body despite how useful & effective it is.

Lol if you say so.
Might also help if I spelled his name
right lol
Kevin mcmahan

And how far back do their records go? I doubt they keep info on 3 time fighters for 9 years lol.

Nope that fighter still didn't come up lol.

Jon Jones maybe the only fighter who can do that shit because of his long limbs. You doing it against a kickboxer with no training in kickboxing is hard to believe.

And karate plus judo, it might be a good combination. But you said you were "training" him for a fight. When you don't have any mma training. So I smell BS.

Completely legal. We're just waiting for someone to use it effectively and make it popular. Conor MacGregor used it against Nate Diaz in their 1st fight and that's one of only 2 examples I can think of. It looked bad in slow motion but it didn't seem to do much to Nate and we all know how the fight ended so I'm pretty sure anyone who did see it has forgotten about it by now. Michelle Waterson vs. Rose Namajunas is the other, but once again, Waterson's kicks had little effect and she lost the fight so no one remembers that either.

Unless you get a spectacular KO like Anderson Silva and Machida's front kicks where everyone starts trying to copy it right away, it takes time for new techniques & concepts to get started in MMA. Brandon Vera introduced push kicks to the knee back in 2008 but it took a few more years before the Jackson-Winkeljohn fighters started doing it to everyone. GSP and Junior Dos Santos started jabbing people in the body nearly 10 years ago and even today there are few fighters who jab the body despite how useful & effective it is.

Some fighters still jab to the body, but most of them just go for body hooks, and right hands to the body.

Back