News Kansas Atheltic Commission to offer real time scoring option for MMA promotions

Don't see how it will change a bad scoring in a specific round, you will be disappointed earlier !

I don't think its the solution were all looking for, but I'm all for testing the waters with it in Invicta next month. Lets see it in action with these other promotions then it'll be easier to gauge.

Not good. There will be a lot of running in the latter rounds...

There's already a lot of running in the latter rounds, especially by guys who shouldn't be running. If it is already happening, why all the secrecy?

This could have stopped so many Coaches and Fighters from getting the wrong idea where they were on the Scorecards. Some coaches already have a good idea and can tell, others unfortunately misguide their fighters and gave them the idea they were performing better than they really were. I'm looking at you Max Holloway's head coach(Funnily enough Max said something about this on Twitter)
I feel this will also change up the round to round coaching dynamic that will make for more immediate round by round adjustments.
Hopefully this gets implemented.
giphy.gif

Can you imagine the shit storm when a bias judge is giving rounds to the fighter 99% of the world knows is losing? In real time.

...Now imagine all the other fights with 100% running.

Fair enough. Let's stop imagining and test it out. What is the hurt in trying if you could avoid all the secrecy and controversy. I can't see any way the fans are going have a problem with it.

Can you imagine the shit storm when a bias judge is giving rounds to the fighter 99% of the world knows is losing? In real time.

Yeah it would be the same shit storm we already have. If anything Judges might be less prone to give away rounds to losing fighters if they know they are being overlooked.

Not good.

There will be a lot of running in the latter rounds.

They just shouldn't hire retards for the job.
There is anyways. That's not a good reason to let bad judging slide without amendments. You make the change and monitor it. If the trend shows up with guys stalling in later rounds that they know they're ahead just starting warning and penalizing for stalling. "They'll stall so change nothing" 100% guarantees the problem just continues. I'd rather more accountability on judges and having to deal with a few guys trying to coast then getting to an end of a fight to find a 50-45 score on a fight that has no business being a clean sweep. Dana and the UFC can hold people who stall accountable in their own terms, they can't however do anything about wildly shit judge scores.

This.

Though it’s not a bad concept, think of all the fighters that are going to coast if they know they’re up.

But also it might light a fire under the opponent behind potentially nullifying that a bit. Not completely, but you might see more go for.vroke because of it too

Can understand both points to be honest.

But also: what if there were not three, but five or more judges and not just that, but also judges who'd be better at scoring fights? Would we really be discussing about real time scoring cards in the first place?

I agree 1st priority- A#1 is to hire competent judges.
2nd should be possibly adding more judges
3rd if all that is fixed, then why is there a need for secrecy?

Not good.

If there is a lot of running, then there will be a lot of chasing.
(1) If you know you are losing on the cards, then you will have a strong incentive to cut-off the Octagon and initiate contact. If you are not sure that you are losing, then you won't take the risk.

(2) If the fight is tied going into the final round, then both fighters will be forced to go for it. This past weekend, the judges showed that they will NOT reward runners and lay-n-prayers.

Telling everybody the score has way more benefits and zero reasonable risks. In other sports, teams who are down but not out often go hard to win in the last seconds of the game.

But also it might light a fire under the opponent behind potentially nullifying that a bit. Not completely, but you might see more go for.vroke because of it too
That is true. I guess it can work both ways. In a 3 rounder I don’t think it’d be as bad as a 5 rounder with somebody taking the first 3 rounds and completely avoiding the fight for the next 10 minutes.

Yeah it would be the same shit storm we already have. If anything Judges might be less prone to give away rounds to losing fighters if they know they are being overlooked.
Negative. It would be way worse. You would have fans in the crowd booing and throwing shit into the octagon mid fight. Can you imagine a 5 round fight where the clearly losing fighter is winning rounds 1,2,3....cough....cough...

Negative. It would be way worse. You would have fans in the crowd booing and throwing shit into the octagon mid fight. Can you imagine a 5 round fight where the clearly losing fighter is winning rounds 1,2,3....cough....cough...

Saying it will be worse is subjective. Can't hurt to try, so we at least have some primacy and facts to work with, no one says it has to be all or nothing. It's not like the current system is running on all cylinders

Not good.

You raise a good point, but I think the benefits outweigh this negative.

They bring a UFC event here once every 20 years, so fail lol

I don't think its the solution were all looking for, but I'm all for testing the waters with it in Invicta next month. Lets see it in action with these other promotions then it'll be easier to gauge.
Agreed. This might not be what everyone is looking for, but it’s important to at least experiment.

Back