Kani Basami

Jiu Jitsu**

White Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know the reason why this is illegal in judo?
I heard a rumor that a school in kyoto would purposely injure their opponents when they performed this move. Anyone have more info on the subject?

That's what I have heard as well. As far as I know, it would be used in universities before competitions. A school's team would make a "friendly" visit to opposing schools, and would do the flying scissors in a way that would injure top guys, so they wouldn't be able to compete. It's a banned move in BJJ as well.

It's illegal because if you hit it too low, you risk blowing the guy's knee out. The same reason diving seio-nages are illegal: too dangerous for sporting competition. Sad too, because I love the throw and I know it can be done safely, but some guys just spaz out and then their opponent's career is over.

does anyone know the reason why this is illegal in judo?
I heard a rumor that a school in kyoto would purposely injure their opponents when they performed this move. Anyone have more info on the subject?

It's what Ryo Chonan used to make Anderson Silva squeal like a pig and tap out.

Kane Basemi to heal hook transition.

Imanari uses it alot too.

Yeah, I thought that it was banned in BJJ. I was told it was acceptable in some tournaments, and in others it was illegal. I just refrain from using it.
From what I know it's illegal in all "standard" BJJ tournaments. All the way up to, and including, black belt divisions.

It's illegal because if you hit it too low, you risk blowing the guy's knee out. The same reason diving seio-nages are illegal: too dangerous for sporting competition. Sad too, because I love the throw and I know it can be done safely, but some guys just spaz out and then their opponent's career is over.
The way I understood it, it wasn't the knees that were an issue but the fact that you basically throw uke straight back and bounce their head off the mat with very little, to no, chance of breaking the fall. The vast majority of judo throws allow you to "breakfall" to some degree if you know what you're doing. The flying scissor throws you straight back without an effective "breakfall" meaning you can bounce some guys head off the mat/sidewalk/street/whatever withdevastating effectiveness!! (Sorry, just thought that last part should be italicized?)

From what I know it's illegal in all "standard" BJJ tournaments. All the way up to, and including, black belt divisions.

The way I understood it, it wasn't the knees that were an issue but the fact that you basically throw uke straight back and bounce their head off the mat with very little, to no, chance of breaking the fall. The vast majority of judo throws allow you to "breakfall" to some degree if you know what you're doing. The flying scissor throws you straight back without an effective "breakfall" meaning you can bounce some guys head off the mat/sidewalk/street/whatever withdevastating effectiveness!! (Sorry, just thought that last part should be italicized?)

No, it was because of the knees.

Watch that video someone posted above, kani basami crippled one of Japan's star Judoka in a match, and it was subsequently banned.

lol, I POSTED why it was banned. It's not because "this" could happen, or "that" could happen... it's because Endo injured Yamashita with it. Yamashita was basically Japan's Great White Hope after Japan fell out of the Judo's #1 spot during Geesink's reign.

They banned it because they were afraid that someone else might hit Yamashita with it (He had shown a certain susceptibility to it, having been taken down with it a second time in a later match with Endo) and possibly hurt his leg again, blowing their chance for a gold medal in the Olympics in '84, which was Yamashita's last Olympic event due to his physical health, which was beginning to suffer.

It is not dificult to break your fall from a kani basami.

If done correctly, there is little risk. However, it is too easy to do INcorrectly ie; too low down.

If you scissor your legs on the opponents knees and ankles, or behind the knees and front of their thighs - then it can do some decent damage. It SHOULD be behind the knees and in front of the waist.

It can, and most likely injure someone when the opponent is resisting, doing kani basami in practice its not really dangerous, but when the opponent doesn't wnts to be thrown a lot of things can happen.

Its not because of Yamashita or that japanese were afraid, as poined out, its also banned in BJJ

this my problem with the "well if you hit the move right" argument:

Yes if your opponent is stagnant and if you hit it right then there is little to no danger of injury. But judo is not a stagnant style. It is dynamic with lots of movement and footwork. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons why your opponent's knee or ankle might be in a position where he can get injured by the takedown.

Back