Kamaru Usman: “UFC fight in Africa would be bigger than Muhammad Ali’s rumble in the jungle.”

Apparently brain exercises can’t make you a better fighter according to the Sherdog but I think we can all agree that he would benefit from some.

There will never be a fight like that. Too many other options.

"In total, including closed-circuit and free television, the fight was watched by a record estimated television audience of 1 billion viewers worldwide,[9][10] about a quarter of the world's 4 billion population in 1974"

Bigger numbers. Wasn't RITJ only on closed circuit TV? But bigger in significance is a moronic statement to make. Seriously.

just got to be careful not to get malaria or HIV in Africa and you are all good

the fighters better not bareback any of those village girls

hes probably also not wrong about it being bigger than Ali's fight... I mean how many Africans would even know who Ali is back then? They were living in tiki huts with no internet
During the fight, Ali's many thousands of Congolese fans chanted “Ali, bomaye! Ali, bomaye!
bomaye means “kill him” in Lingala, a Bantu language of the Congo.

200w.gif

Lmao, Martys delusional.

Muhammad Ali was easily the most famous human being on the planet in the 70s. Not the most famous fighter or athlete, the most famous HUMAN. He was known in the most remote villages of Africa and Asia. The UFC still isn't mainstream as much as the mma crowd pretends it is.

just got to be careful not to get malaria or HIV in Africa and you are all good

the fighters better not bareback any of those village girls

hes probably also not wrong about it being bigger than Ali's fight... I mean how many Africans would even know who Ali is back then? They were living in tiki huts with no internet

HIV is only really bad in Southern Africa (South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho) and it's given all of Africa a bad rap. There are plenty of countries in North and East Africa that have lower HIV rates than the west, even very poor ones (Somalia as example has a prevalence of 0.1% of the adult population, US has 0.4%).

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.DYN.AIDS.ZS?locations=SO&name_desc=false

I don't know why Usman is desperate for a UFC fight in Africa, it's not like Dana White is gonna give him a cut of the ppv.

<36>

Africans would rather watch a replay of Ali-Foreman in black and white

Well that's stupid. Rumble in the jungle sold 50 million ppvs (20$ price) and reportedly did 1 billion tv views in a time where the world's population was 4 billion.

He's shooting for the stars with that statement. Nothing wrong with that.

maybe... if Usman moved up to fight Izzy.. and there was alot drama prior.. just maybe

Jon vs Francis has a better chance tho

HIV is only really bad in Southern Africa (South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho) and it's given all of Africa a bad rap. There are plenty of countries in North and East Africa that have lower HIV rates than the west, even very poor ones (Somalia as example has a prevalence of 0.1% of the adult population, US has 0.4%).

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.DYN.AIDS.ZS?locations=SO&name_desc=false

to be fair, the non-HIV prevalent countries have their own problems

maybe... if Usman moved up to fight Izzy.. and there was alot drama prior.. just maybe

I didn't consider this, but, I don't know how you'd get a billion people to care about that. Neither one of them were even on the continent of Africa beyond the age of 10, neither have any political or social prowess, neither are significant beyond even their own weight division.

You may get 68,001 people to show up live, maybe.

Back