Kamae for knife fighting? (Japanese Tanto)

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
When most people think of knife fighting skill, they envision a guy on the balls of his feet, standing in a 45 degree angle, a knife in one hand, the palm of the other hand open. Ready for
quick rapid strikes and parries. The stuff you might see in the military.

But if you join a Japanese sword school, they teach you (in my experience) to lower your base with the tanto, and get into deep kamae (stances), slide your feet, half circle movement, one strike one kill. Sort of like this:

.23 seconds - .43 seconds:

[YT]4g4a0WFI14I[/YT]

So any one with Japanese short sword or tanto experience, or modern knife experience, which method is superior? Are kamae practical for knife fighting?

A tanto:

Japanese-swords-samurai-swords-tanto-cold-steel.jpg

Practical? I would say no, and leave it at that.

As a person that does kendo and as such kendo kata as well... that video is such fucking horseshit.

Last edited:
As a person that does kendo and as such kendo kata as well... that video is such fucking horseshit.

Well that's a ninja class. I couldn't find anything related to tanto knife fighting

Yea as soon as a see them live sparring with those techniques I'll let you know, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm going to say more modern forms will have a big advantage.

I trained with some koryu guys for awhile, including some work with tanto and I agree it didn't look right based on my own limited experience.

video shows a lot of shit footwork for such an 'active' weapon.

Back