Crime Kaepernick writing book for eliminating police and prisons

Your conclusion is naive IMO. The right-winger’s defending the police are much less likely to be detrimentally affected by abolishment of the police, then their counterparts on the left.

I think you're underestimating the number of us that think police aren't shit anyway. They don't provide protection, they barely chase stolen shit, and they're slow as hell when I actually need them. They provide no service that can't be provided by my glock except for body cleanup and paperwork.

<PlusJuan>

I own lots of guns. I don't own them for no reason. I advocate all leftists be responsibly armed. I advocate all people be responsibly armed.

Nonviolent offenses

It would constitute such a drastic refocusing of the prison system that they would bear little resemblance to the prison system now outside of the buildings.

Just a movement toward rehabilitation would be a full 180 from how we understand prisons to exist now. So much so that I wouldn't even call it a "prison" to delineate the historical institution.
Well, at least in California they added the R at the end of CDC years as they begun taking huge steps toward rehabilitation. They already offer associates degree and trade certifications and they're soon to add bachelors programs. My wife is a college coordinator in one of the largest prisons in the state.

They've also released thousands of non-violent offenders over the past year (although a lot of it had to do with COVID). The minimum security yard is barren at RJD these days. They have plenty of drug treatment programs.

However, there is always going to be a need to incarcerate violent offenders. Some can be rehabilitated some cannot.

When the system shows such a resistance to reform that the issues persist over decades, that's indicative of a problem with the system at a fundamental level.

The response being "well let's dismantle the system then" shouldn't be a surprise with that in mind. If cops won't regulate themselves, and won't allow themselves to be regulated by the government, then the cops need to go away.

This is a decades long escalation in response to police ignoring the problem and gaslighting the citizenry to believe that extrajudicial killings are just a part of life in America. Nobody should be surprised that we're here.
Reform is needed, but police abuse isn't as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. It's still very uncommon. Everyone that lives in a high crime area is much more likely to be killed by a low life from within their community than the police.

I do support mandatory body cameras and other reforms though.

Well, at least in California they added the R at the end of CDC years as they begun taking huge steps toward rehabilitation. They already offer associates degree and trade certifications and they're soon to add bachelors programs. My wife is a college coordinator in one of the largest prisons in the state.

They've also released thousands of non-violent offenders over the past year (although a lot of it had to do with COVID). The minimum security yard is barren at RJD these days. They have plenty of drug treatment programs.

However, there is always going to be a need to incarcerate violent offenders. Some can be rehabilitated some cannot.
One thing they can do is up the teeth at the juvenile level. The juvenile level for criminal offenses has almost no teeth unless the kid kills someone or rapes them at like knife/gun point.

In my line of work you see/hear about kids with 70 something charges without spending significant time away from the home environment that likely adds to their problems.

We should start by abolishing the capital police, imo. Let's test this out there and see how it works before rolling it out other places.

I loled pretty hard at this post. Well done hahaha

<{vega}>

I literally stated the most common policy positions I've heard from people who use the phrase. In response to a question at that. You really gonna throw a bitch fit because I answered a question?
My bad, I thought that was your actual take on it. It’s worse that isn’t your take, but that’s what I thought it was.

<PlusJuan>

I own lots of guns. I don't own them for no reason. I advocate all leftists be responsibly armed. I advocate all people be responsibly armed.

Then you are an exception. In general, most left-wing types calling for reduction/abolition of LE are, ironically, also against law-abiding citizens defending themselves with firearms.

Well.......If there were no prisons, there would be no place to put the vigilantes that killed the criminals.........................I'm listening.........

The thing about “rehabilitation” is that things like substance abuse issues, family ties, and self-control are way more important to keep people from re-offending than things like poverty or skills.

The state can only help with substance abuse issues and only up to a point. Most people don’t know much about criminology.

They've also released thousands of non-violent offenders over the past year (although a lot of it had to do with COVID). The minimum security yard is barren at RJD these days.

I don't disagree. But what percentage of the prison system do you think are those types?

In 1991 there were 24,700 reported murders and manslaughters. Numbers have only gone down since then, but I'll play ball and say that the numbers remained constant over a decade.

That's 247,000 violent offenders in 10 years. Again, waaaay over estimated. Now consider that we have over 2 million people incarcerated in this country. Per 100k, we incarcerate people at a rate higher than the murder rate in the 90s. There's something wrong with that.

Multi-million dollar mega corp sponsored, highly influential Black Lives Matter protester, Colin Kaepernick is releasing a book this October about abolishing the police. Not reforming. Not re-training. Not re-anything. Full removal.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coli...ion-for-the-people_n_609ac057e4b0daf2b599ba60

The notion that it's only the fringe crazy, not the mainstream voices, actually calling for abolishing the police is a false one from people trying to downplay the monster they created. It's not just a catchphrase. Federal politicians are calling for full removal of police and prisons. Not just fixing their issues.

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback edited a book of over 30 essays titled “Abolition for the People: The Movement for a Future Without Policing & Prisons.” The anthology, which calls for a future “without and beyond policing and prisons,” will be released on Oct. 12.

The activist said in a statement that he hopes the book will serve as “an introduction to abolitionist concepts, histories and practices.”

(Edit- Also, if that character in Kaep's tweet was made by a white guy, would it be considered a racist representation because she has large lips and a large nose?)

Will bump when he wins the Nobel.

I was assured, in no uncertain terms, all last summer, that "abolish the police" and "abolish the prisons" were just slogans and were not to be taken literally. Surely I wasn't lied to.
Yeh funny how the left allows the extremists to guide policy

The thing about “rehabilitation” is that things like substance abuse issues, family ties, and self-control are way more important to keep people from re-offending than things like poverty or skills.

The state can only help with substance abuse issues and only up to a point. Most people don’t know much about criminology.
It's all important and I agree with the first part.

A lot of inmates who get their GED and finish a college or trade program are more likely to find purpose outside of prison and not go back. My wife tells me all the time that a lot of the teachers in the prison talk about how inmates are grateful that someone finally gave a shit about them and encouraged them to be successful.

But that's the thing... some do. Some refuse to do anything productive while locked up and don't give a shit about bettering themselves. They may sooner or later or they may not. But at least the resources are there if they do.

Okay my bad but what exactly is meant by that? I'm just not aware of the specifics.

Non violent.

Lot's of guys that have nonviolent offenses still get stuck in prisons next to rapists, murderers, and people that commit violent assaults simply from having a ton of convictions on their records.

Beyond that, you have states like Texas that will put you in jail for simple possession of weed or petty theft.

Things like this

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/...rs-prison-alleged-candy-bar-theft/4746339001/

Flaw in the system? Why 70-year-old is facing 7 years in prison for alleged candy bar theft

I don't give a fuck how many times you got caught stealing, facing 7 years for a candy bar is fucking madness. But we do it every day and don't think twice.

Uh yeah, so am I.

And your "simple" solution very clearly isn't working. Like just fire the bad people man, what's the issue?

DAs covering for bad cops is the issue. "Good" cops not stopping bad cops is the issue. The police unions having outsized influence is the issue. The politicians deifying cops is the issue. The slavish devotion to the "thin blue line" is the issue. A multimillion dollar adversarial training industry is the issue.

Those aren't going to be fixed by "firing those who suck" unless you plan on cleaning fucking house. Just getting around the lobbying groups (why the fuck do police have lobbying groups?) is going to cost you most of your natural life.

I agree with you for the most part but just the same I don't want to live in a mad max kinda world. I dunno man my gut is telling me no police and no prisons is going to create as many problems as it solves.

Also if congress isn't willing to make any changes to the current system what on earth would make them do this?

The solution seems simple to me yet impossible to implement. Maybe we can start with something simple like ending the drug war and jailing people for narcotics and go from there? Maybe make a new prison rule that says if you didn't steal rape assault or murder you don't go to jail ? Maybe have cops mail traffic tickets without even pulling someone over ?

I don't know man but no cops and no prisons does not seem like the move to make to me.

I don't disagree. But what percentage of the prison system do you think are those types?

In 1991 there were 24,700 reported murders and manslaughters. Numbers have only gone down since then, but I'll play ball and say that the numbers remained constant over a decade.

That's 247,000 violent offenders in 10 years. Again, waaaay over estimated. Now consider that we have over 2 million people incarcerated in this country. Per 100k, we incarcerate people at a rate higher than the murder rate in the 90s. There's something wrong with that.
But you're just using murders as a measuring stick. Attempted murder? How about rapists? Child molesters? People who commit violent robberies?

When I think non-violent offenders I would imagine that pretty much sums up drug offenses for the most part. Maybe some white collar crime isn't violent, petty theft, vandalism, etc. and I'd agree they shouldn't be in prison.

Per 100k, we incarcerate people at a rate higher than the murder rate in the 90s. There's something wrong with that.
Well... There are rapes and assaults and thievery people go to prison for... So it would makes sense right? Or did I miss something?

But you're just using murders as a measuring stick. Attempted murder? How about rapists? Child molesters? People who commit violent robberies?

When I think non-violent offenders I would imagine that pretty much sums up drug offenses for the most part. Maybe some white collar crime isn't violent, petty theft, vandalism, etc.

Again, unless you think all 2.3 million people are rapists, chomos, and violent robbers, you're trying to justify a wide ass gulf here. And don't ignore that I extrapolated one of the worst years of US crime reports out 10 years to prove the point. I find it very VERY hard to believe that you can't find AT LEAST 50% of our incarcerated population that has no business being there.

When you're putting up prison numbers that are so large that people can even make a remote comparison to Soviet Gulags in numbers, it should be a huge problem in people's minds.

Well... There are rapes and assaults and thievery people go to prison for... So it would makes sense right? Or did I miss something?

Violent crimes are at an all time low. Why are prison populations at record highs?

Food for thought. In my opinion, you're missing something.

Back