K1 out of business?

CobraCmndr6193

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm trying to get into kickboxing. I used to watch K1 Max all the time about 10 years ago. I noticed on K1's website that they haven't hosted an event since 2016? What's going on? Did they go under? Sorry if I'm way behind the times on this, I've been watching boxing almost exclusively the last couple of years.

I'm trying to get into kickboxing. I used to watch K1 Max all the time about 10 years ago. I noticed on K1's website that they haven't hosted an event since 2016? What's going on? Did they go under? Sorry if I'm way behind the times on this, I've been watching boxing almost exclusively the last couple of years.

K-1 is on the business

Since 2014 K-1 Japan is making awesome events, they are now focused on 65kg or under weight classes due the Krush org former fighters and K-1 Koshien guys as well, a lot of known fighters.

we had an event 3 days ago, 65kg tournament:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/k-1-november-3-non-spoiler-thread.3859531/

this year they made the biggest kickboxing event in recent years, K-1: K’Festa, it was on freaking Saitama Super Arena,more than 15k people attended if im not mistaken

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_K-1

K-1 lives on!

I think it got divided into K-1 Global and K-1 Japan.

K-1 Global was basically trying to be like the K-1 Max from the golden days but it was kinda shitty. That shady thing with Buakaw vs Kehl was on K-1 global.

While K-1 global is dead, K-1 max is putting out very good events with most talent being under 70 kg. Some notable fighters in K-1 Japan are Kaew Fairtex, Hiramoto Ren, Masaaki Noiri, Yasuomi Soda, Takeru, Koya Urabe, Taiga, Gonnapar, Wei Rui, Chingiz Allazov.

For Kickboxing in general K-1 Japan, Glory and Kunlun Fight are the organisations to follow.

There is also Glory Of Heroes and WuLingFen which i think are a bit shady with weird decisions. OneFC a new organisation with some good fighters but their events seem a bit sporadic. Some fights are muay thai rules, some mma rules, some kickboxing rules. There is also Enfusion and Superkombat i don't personally don't think the talent level in those organisations is that great though.

I'm new to kickboxing but so far loving everything I've seen from K1 Japan and Glory. I will absolutely check out Kunlun Fight as well.

I'm new to kickboxing but so far loving everything I've seen from K1 Japan and Glory. I will absolutely check out Kunlun Fight as well.

If you are enjoying Kickboxing, you may enjoy Muay Thai as well! They're very similar, but the action plays out a bit differently. There is a thread stickied at the top of the forum called "How to follow Muay Thai" and should you be interested, I highly recommend checking it out. It's a bit harder to follow due to a general lack of coverage in english, but is totally worth it in my opinion. Anyway, always glad to see a new fan of the sport!

If you are enjoying Kickboxing, you may enjoy Muay Thai as well! They're very similar, but the action plays out a bit differently. There is a thread stickied at the top of the forum called "How to follow Muay Thai" and should you be interested, I highly recommend checking it out. It's a bit harder to follow due to a general lack of coverage in english, but is totally worth it in my opinion. Anyway, always glad to see a new fan of the sport!

I've watched some Friday Night Fight's on UFC Fight Pass, and what bothers me about Muay Thai is all the clinching. In Kick Boxing that's broken up immediately, but in MT it seems that it's a major part of the fights. I can't really get into clinch fighting.

Well...the MT in One Championship is great! They are fights, not clinch fests. I love these MT fights for sure.

I wish all Kickboxing and Muay Thai promations companies were like Boxing as you have a number of covering bodies like WBC, WBA etc but it all seems unified if you get my drift.

For kickboxing at least, would probably be just about the last thing I'd wish for :p

A clear #1 promotion that was profitable and ran competently and internationally would be nice.

Last edited:
I've watched some Friday Night Fight's on UFC Fight Pass, and what bothers me about Muay Thai is all the clinching. In Kick Boxing that's broken up immediately, but in MT it seems that it's a major part of the fights. I can't really get into clinch fighting.

It also depends what Muay Thai you're watching. The stadium fights in Thailand are a lot more clinch heavy as it's a big part of the scoring and gambling nowadays, it shows that a fighter is strong. There tends to be less clinch involved overall in fights which aren't in the stadiums and where the gamblers don't have as much of an influence on the scoring.

If the stadium scoring isn't your thing I'd recommend checking out promotions like Yokkao, Max Muay Thai, Thai Fight, All Star Fight, etc. where there's often English commentary (at least for Yokkao and Max Muay Tha) and where even though the level is lesser than in the stadiums, the clinch aspect is not as prevalent.

I find there is still a lot of clinching in Kickboxing, but the fighters use it to rest or to get the fight reset. At least in MT there's some strikes and throws going on in the clinch instead of 2 dudes hugging until the referee separates them. Some of the Kickboxing fights it's literally every 5 second they hug and referee goes "BREAK!" separates them and goes "FIGHT!" before having to do the exact same thing over and over every few seconds.

It's not muay thai when there is restricted clinching. I understand it being boring to watch but it is the hardest thing to learn and funnest thing to practice about muay thai.

Back