K-1 World League

East 1999

Straight thuggin', and it feels so good
@Green
Reaction score
There was a press conference in Japan today to announce the formation of K-1 World League, which will be managed by Good Loser, the company that produces KRUSH events in Japan, and produced by M-1 Sports Media. The first event is set to take place on July 21st at Shinjuku FACE and will be an amateur tournament akin to K-1 Koshien, the finals being held on November 3rd at Yoyogi National Stadium along with professional fights from some of Japan's top fighters. Announced names are Yuta Kubo, Yoshihiro Sato, Yasuhiro Kido, Hirotaka Urabe, Koya Urabe, HIROYA, Takeru and others. Takayuki Kohiruimaki is also listed as one of the K-1 Gym's official trainers, as this whole thing is in association with the K-1 Gym.

[YT]uHAIRdg9my4[/YT]
[YT]YnEBeGdvJ8U[/YT]

So it looks like there are two "K-1"s now, K-1 Global and K-1 World League. Kinda weird.

I saw it on liverkick. They say it is an amateur tournament yet the fighters they announced aren't amateur, at all.

I think they are going to have have both amateurs and professionals on the card.

Interesting to see what comes of this. Hopefully they bump up their production up a notch compared to KRUSH and have success.

Only thing is I'd guess this takes the Japanese scene away from Glory a bit.

That's a lot of belts...Everyone has a belt except for 1 guy and 1 guy has 3 belts.

That's a lot of belts...Everyone has a belt except for 1 guy and 1 guy has 3 belts.

jorina-baars.jpg

Well this makes k-1 interesting again as we will find out who really owns the k-1 trademark and probably the footage also that k-1 global claims they own.

Here is tyrone with all his belts
Tyrone_Spong.jpg

Well this makes k-1 interesting again as we will find out who really owns the k-1 trademark and probably the footage also that k-1 global claims they own.

Here is tyrone with all his belts
Tyrone_Spong.jpg

Think this is basically K-1 (Global) giving the right to use K-1 branding for the KRUSH guys in Japan. Shouldn't be a "challenger" for the K-1 name or rights in any way. Not looked a ton into it though so don't take it as 100% :D

Weird as fuck though. Came out of nowhere and K-1 hasn't as much as made a facebook post saying hey guys here is our Japan focused offshoot go take a look.

Think this is basically K-1 (Global) giving the right to use K-1 branding for the KRUSH guys in Japan. Shouldn't be a "challenger" for the K-1 name or rights in any way. Not looked a ton into it though so don't take it as 100% :D

Weird as fuck though. Came out of nowhere and K-1 hasn't as much as made a facebook post saying hey guys here is our Japan focused offshoot go take a look.

which is why i suspect they (k1 global )are going to say they never approved and will claim they own the rights like when tbs sold the use rights to the old footage to glory. They would have been looking to partner with krush so they could run japan events and not get cut out of the picture

edit: fuji not tbs

Last edited:
which is why i suspect they (k1 global )are going to say they never approved and will claim they own the rights like when tbs sold the use rights to the old footage to glory. They would have been looking to partner with krush so they could run japan events and not get cut out of the picture

Either they approved it or they didn't.

Someone is being stupid either way. Stupidity/incompetence on the part of K-1 not acknowledging the deal in any way...or massive stupidity by the KRUSH guys thinking they can just use someone else's name.

The Glory K-1 footage buy was a little weird but if TBS got the rights then they could sell it I guess. Glory doesn't seem exactly 1000% sure they own whatever they bought though. They've used the footage exactly once as far as I've seen and that was one couple second scene in some video ages ago. Not used it since nor is the footage available on their website...not that even most It's Showtime events are there. I mean why would you let people pay for content you own, that'd be just silly. :icon_conf

Either they approved it or they didn't.

Someone is being stupid either way. Stupidity/incompetence on the part of K-1 not acknowledging the deal in any way...or massive stupidity by the KRUSH guys thinking they can just use someone else's name.

The Glory K-1 footage buy was a little weird but if TBS got the rights then they could sell it I guess. Glory doesn't seem exactly 1000% sure they own whatever they bought though. They've used the footage exactly once as far as I've seen and that was one couple second scene in some video ages ago. Not used it since nor is the footage available on their website...not that even most It's Showtime events are there. I mean why would you let people pay for content you own, that'd be just silly. :icon_conf

The footage has been sprinkled in a lot more recently. The used a lot of footage of crocop from old k1 in quick highlights. My point is the new k1 is stupid and did not read the fine print. All they bought was the k1 world grand prix and k1 max trademarks. There are still japenese tv stations that have rights to other parts of the k1 name like dynamite! and own the rights to most of the footage ( tbs owns the whole "k-1 max" library of fights)

K1 nowadays (past couple of years included) is utterly crap and it's very confusing to say the least......glory has some rights to k1 footage and then there are two different k1 orgs as well

how long till they both go down? they're dragging k1's name through the dirt by continuing this charade

So, here's the thing.

The guy who bought KRUSH has been working in conjunction with Mr. Kim (who owns K-1 Global). The idea is that they'll be business partners in this venture of using the K-1 name on KRUSH events and bringing back K-1 Koshien events to see if it can draw in Japan.

As for the GLORY and the television rights, I think that people misunderstand what GLORY has the rights to.

GLORY has usage rights that they bought from Fuji TV. Think of it as a licensing deal, like, when a website strikes up a deal with USA Today or the Associated Press to use their photos. It doesn't mean that they own the photos, it means that they have a license.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

Sounds like a good idea IMO. The guys from Krush run a good show. It was basically Koshien without the name.

Any new info about the K-1 word league!?!

I have no faith in whatever org that tries to run k1 shows or shows with k1 attached to it

k12 has been dead for years and it's name is being dragged to the dirt........even worse than the bob sapp fights

Back