JZ vs Aoki 2

Great, absolutely great BJJ. I think if Aoki had another round he would have found a sub

Amazing BJJ displayed, very entertaining for savvy and experienced grapplers.

Aoki pwned JZ straight up. Aoki's guard looked active and very impressive as well as his defense from JZ's viscious GNP and Fedor-pass. those upkicks were effective and well timed and placed, especially on JZ's bandaged knee

I was waiting for somebody to post about that. I was very impressed with Aoki. Rubber guard, DLR guard, effective guard pulling, body triangle control from the back, etc. Even a few omoplata and one gogoplata attempts. Though I would like to see his striking improve to where he can use it to set up his grappling a little better.

Aoki was good at keep JZ clinched and neutralizing any offense he was attempting, but I was real dissapointed with the fight. I would've liked to have seen another round, tough luck for JZ ending up defending the RNC for over 5 minutes ( I believe).

Aoki totally neutralized JZ, not an easy task. He definitely has some of the best BJJ in MMA.

I bet if eddie bravo fought, it would look identical to the way aoki fights. Pulling guard, jumping into guard, butt scoot, rubber guard.

And yes I know eddie has trained aoki in the rubber guard.

Well his approach would be near identical, the execution probably not.

Honestly I still love aoki, but he's a judoka dammit. Don't butt scoot! I loved most of it, but found it real disapointing near the start of the second round when he butt scooted and just fell flat onto his back when JZ pushed him. Guard pulling is fine in my book, but I hate fucking butt scooting. It's like you're scared of him? I donno I still love aoki but damn man, use your osoto or something.

The butt scoot is a fearful move. It looks so lazy and inviting, but jumping in could mean death, as is the case of Aoki's guard.

I wonder how many times in MMA history someone has won a judge's decision without landing a single power punch to his opponent.

It just blows my mind that Aoki actually had the balls to jump guard on JZ, lol

I HATE the ring.

Although Aoki definitely won this fight watch closely for the home town favorite bias, the only way to win over there is a KO or Sub (and even that does not work sometimes).

I HATE the ring.

Although Aoki definitely won this fight watch closely for the home town favorite bias, the only way to win over there is a KO or Sub (and even that does not work sometimes).

the hometown bias works in reverse as well. the refs can let the japanese fighters take more punishment giving them a chance to fight back, which in turn leads me to disagree with you in that you can only win by KO or Sub.

The Japanese Orgs do not favour the striker over the grappler as they do in the UFC.

They reward effort to finish the fight and positional control.

And I love them for it.

At the end of the day, did JZ do enough to win the fight?

No. He said so himself.

Yeah when jz was pounding on aoki after that omaplata attempt, I think it would've ended if it was in the ufc. I don't think I've ever seen an early stoppage in japan, I love it :D

Yeah when jz was pounding on aoki after that omaplata attempt, I think it would've ended if it was in the ufc. I don't think I've ever seen an early stoppage in japan, I love it :D

Pretty sure that Aoki was almost out and got woken up by another punch :icon_chee

As much as being great at BJJ, Aoki is a tough bastard. He really kept his composure after that onslaught.

Love the flying guard pulls. Beautiful.

Back