Justin "Picasso" Willis Denies Rumor He's Been Cut from UFC for Ducking Walt Harris

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, May 26, 2019.

?

What's going on?

1. He's in denial

79.3%
  2. He'll be back

20.7%
  1. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Red Belt Platinum Member

Justin Willis, 31, told MMA Junkie on Friday that the promotion has not released him, despite a UFC official confirming the opposite following multiple reports. Willis pointed to his 4-1 octagon record and said it “doesn’t make sense” that he’d be released.

“It was a big miscommunication and a technical difficulty between me and the UFC,” Willis said. “I’ll put it like that. But everything has been worked out, and you will have a fight in the near future.”

Citing a source close to the promotion, TSN reported Willis was released after he turned down a fight against Walt Harris at UFC on ESPN 4. A UFC official declined to elaborate on the circumstances that led to the decision.

Willis wouldn’t go into specifics about his negotiations with the UFC but admits Harris isn’t a fight that he wants. He said his primary goal is to have a full training camp at American Kickboxing Academy alongside team captain and UFC heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier, who returns at UFC 241 in August.

“If it was August, or he had a bigger name … just because you want something doesn’t mean you’re going to get it,” Willis said. “I’m after people with bigger names.”

Willis’ manager, Abe Kawa, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Harris recently called Willis “a coward” and “all talk, no game” on the MMA Roasted podcast, claiming his would-be opponent was cut because he couldn’t make weight in two months. Willis was forced to withdraw from UFC 208 due to complications from a steep weight cut.

“Walt Harris is jumping on the train,” Willis said. “Bro, you suck. Stop it.”

The comments were just more noise from a chorus of critics that include his most recent opponent, Curtis Blaydes, and rival Tai Tuivasa. Willis said he’s focused on losing weight and evolving in the gym so he can make a run at the title.

Returning too early, without a full training camp or without the guidance of one of the sport’s best fighters, isn’t in Willis’ best interest right now. He said he’s currently 265 pounds and plans to be 255 for his next fight.

“My goal is to be quicker, faster and prettier,” Willis said. “When I come back, I’m coming back with a vengeance. Picasso didn’t rush his art, and I’m not going to let these (expletive) boys rush ‘Big Pretty’s’ art.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/ufc-releases-justin-willis-dispute

2. Steven_Universe

Steven_Universe Purple Belt

There’s a good chance they just released to the press that he’s fired and didn’t even call him.

The UFC has done classless things like this In the past. I

3. Kung Fu Tze

Kung Fu Tze Intergalactic Cowboy... Staff Member Senior Moderator

Dana has been known to punish those that don't do what he wants ( turn down a fight )… Is Normal. Now get ready to make base fight and show money if allowed to return.

315MMAFighter and Kenny Powerth like this.
  4. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

5. Kenny Powerth

Kenny Powerth Jean Belt (Jelt)

He fights out of AKA so maybe DC and Cain and convince Dana to let him back, the division is shallow AF as it is.

But personally idc, I thought his act was annoying and his last fight he got manhandled (no homo) after talking all that shit.

6. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

It wouldn't surprise me. Yeah, he's 4-1 in a very shallow division but he's also a boring fighter who struggles to make weight and seems to want to be able to call his own shots. Dude talking about only wanting "big names" like he's a big name. Walt Harris is a bigger name than he is after that last performance. That's a dude I'm interested in seeing in the future. I don't care if I ever see Willis fight again.

7. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe Silver Belt

Couldn’t make 265 with 2 months prep so they gave him his walking papers? Harsh but fair.

8. PurpleDrank

PurpleDrank Brown Belt

Willis would beat harris easily

9. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Belt of Skulls belt [÷X] Yellow Card

In the age of "500k baseline" for numbered events, they'll be cutting dudes over any perceived sleight.

10. Shadey1

Shadey1 Green Belt

He's probably not even been told. Wouldn't be the first time.

11. Doughie99

Doughie99 Purple Belt

Don't believe for 1 second Justin Willis' statement that he is currently 265lbs.
    - Horseshit is what I say to that.

12. Daniel_LaRusso

Daniel_LaRusso Blue Belt

What you talkin' about Willis?