Justin got knocked out twice and beat three LWs on their way out and DESERVES a title shot.....

Vick was not on his way out....Justin showed him the door.

Are you suggesting Diego Ferreira deserves it more than Gaethje? Gaethje has 3 straight top 10 wins, all by first round finish. Ferreira has looked good his last few outings but Pettis (who is 4-6 since losing the belt) is his first top 10 win ever, not exactly a title eliminator. He still needs at minimum at least another top 10 win, probably 2.

Who did he beat Cowboy, James Vick and Barboza? I mean I guess but I really don't care.. I don't like Gaethje that much.

If he is next then Let him be next

I would rather fighters get title shots if they are the number one contenders

I wonder how that guy that just tapped Pettis with a 6 fight winning streak feels.
you wonder how Ferreira feels... you can watch his post fight interview in the cage. He is fine and wants to get better, train more and take on the next challenge.
He didn't name anyone that he wants to fight next and didn't talked about the belt. He wants to get better first, humble dude. I like him and betted on him to win.

They should have booked Justin vs Conor for a proper number 1 contender fight, but someone had other plans unfortunately.

Yes,he does. No one else has a better claim after the tony/khabib fight meets its conclusion.

Conor didn’t do shit for 4 years and beat 4-6 Cowboy

Gaethje deserves it more than anybody else, including the guy that subbed Pettis

I think its sort of kind of just by "default", its not that he actually deserves a TS, but he's the only person left that is on a streak and hasn't had a title fight in recent memory or isn't in the upcoming title fight.

I realistically think Justin should fight either Dustin in a rematch or even Conor, or hell, fight winner of Felder vs Hooker (who are ranked right below him I believe) and then a TS.

I just don't think he deserve a TS based on his win streak, its nice that he has KOs, its nice that he beat Vick and Cowboy who I don't like, but, I watched Khabib beat RDA who is a much better fighter than anyone Justin has a win over in his entire career, then he had to fight Horcher, MJ, and Edson before getting a TS.

Tony has had to do a lot to get a TS (although could have happened a couple fights earlier on this win streak). Just don't see why it should be given to Justin just because lack of options.

He still needs a fight.
Conor does too.
They both beat the same guy in their last fight.
Make them fight and you have a number 1 contender.

Last edited:
Diego beat multiple opponents on win streaks in a row
He did, however:
Pettis 11th at LW when they fought
Taisumov unranked
Khabilov unranked and hasn't had a big fight since losing to Benson Henderson 5 years ago.
He hasn't faced anybody ranked until he faced Pettis
People are definitely overblowing how deserving Gaethje is of a title shot. Good cases can be made that all of CDF, the Felder/Hooker winner, the Lee/Oliveira winner, and Islam Makhachev are more deserving.
#13 Oliveira hasn't beat anybody ranked. Lee is on a one fight win streak. #6 Hooker vs #7 felder their biggest win would be whomever losses that fight. Gaethje can say he smoked the #10 and #5 lightweight while his losses are to a former champ and interim champ.

Let's just settle it with Gaethje vs Conor.

He did, however:
Pettis 11th at LW when they fought
Taisumov unranked
Khabilov unranked and hasn't had a big fight since losing to Benson Henderson 5 years ago.
He hasn't faced anybody ranked until he faced Pettis

#13 Oliveira hasn't beat anybody ranked. Lee is on a one fight win streak. #6 Hooker vs #7 felder their biggest win would be whomever losses that fight. Gaethje can say he smoked the #10 and #5 lightweight while his losses are to a former champ and interim champ.
I think Gaethje's ahead of the pack, don't get me wrong. But he isn't some clear cut #1 contender like people are claiming. And you only mentioned the positives of Gaethje and the negatives of the other guys. I'll try and do the inverse to play devil's advocate...

Diego's win streak is twice the length of Gaethje's. His losses are much more distant than Gaethje's. He has just as many finishes as Gaethje. Even though they aren't ranked, anyone who knows MMA knows how good Khabilov and Taisumov are. Pettis' ranking aside, he has recent wins over Wonderboy and Chiesa, and hurt Tony Ferguson on the feet.

Oliveira would have beaten a very credible opponent in Kevin Lee. He has the most submissions in UFC history. He'd have the longest streak in the division behind Khabib and Tony, with ALL of them being finishes (if he beats Lee it'll probably include him too, since it'll probably be by finish).

Kevin Lee would be on a 2-fight streak with a win, which is only one behind Gaethje. His head kick KO of Gillespie is one of the highlights of 2019. He's a tough style matchup for Khabib. He did very well early versus Tony despite a staph infection.

I'll be honest... I can't do this for Felder and Hooker. They're top contenders for sure but they don't really have anything going for them that Gaethje doesn't.

Makhachev, like CDF, is on a streak twice the length of Gaethje's. Also like CDF, his sole loss was a long time ago. Even though his level of competition isn't there, people at AKA have been saying this guy's world class for years. He's got similar combat sambo accolades to his teammate Khabib.

Now for Gaethje. His streak is only 3-long. He's reportedly been turning down fights in hope of being offered the Conor money fight. His losses are both finishes, and both recent. And both of the guys he's lost to have key losses too... Alvarez lost to Conor and Dustin, and has now lost outside of the UFC. Poirier lost to Conor and Khabib, and has a first round knockout loss to Michael Johnson.

Like I said, I do think Gaethje is the top contender. But he isn't far ahead. Diego is almost neck and neck with him. And Oliveira could even go ahead of him if he beats Lee impressively (though I think he loses to Lee).

Back