News Justin Gaethje set to face Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone on Sept. 14 in Vancouver

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Wow nice... Didn't expect Gaethje to be sich a heavy favorite, time for Cowboy to do what he usually does when people doubt him and put on an absolute clinic.

I'm still not sold on JG. The two best guys he faced, far and away, were Alvarez and Poirer. They both knocked him out and frankly exposed how bad his fight IQ is.

Barboza is 5-5 in his last 10 and has never been an elite fighter. Almost as a rule he loses to elite fighters. Cowboy also put him away in the first round, so keep that in mind.

Michael Johnson has an abysmal journeyman record and he had JG doing the chicken dance.

I think Cowboy probably weathers some storm, then batters Justin.
Wow- If I didnt know any better, I wouldve thought that was my post and did it while I was " sleep posting ".
I agree and the version of Alvarez that did it speaks further volumes.
I'm willing to give gaejthe benefit of doubt and see if he can gameplan a fight out while evolving in UFC. I'll give him that much to be fair.

I think Al Iaquinta is a tougher fight for Gaethje. I know Cerrone recently beat him, but it's a classic "styles make fights" thing that keeps MMA Math from working. Al Iaquinta has never been KO'd and has the chin and survival instincts to weather Justin's storm and take him into deep waters...especially in a 5-round fight.

I think Al Iaquinta is a tougher fight for Gaethje. I know Cerrone recently beat him, but it's a classic "styles make fights" thing that keeps MMA Math from working. Al Iaquinta has never been KO'd and has the chin and survival instincts to weather Justin's storm and take him into deep waters...especially in a 5-round fight.

Naw. Iaquinta is slow and doesn’t throw enough. You have to go to war with Ghatje and Al isn’t that guy.

Well now that Cerrone is done with prospects he’s back to getting crushed by the elite and we are gonna be wondering if he’s finished again

Seems like a bit of a “gimme” for old JG. But Donald is a gamer. So, you never know. I’ll be rooting for Justin, though.

Naw. Iaquinta is slow and doesn’t throw enough. You have to go to war with Ghatje and Al isn’t that guy.

You don't have to go to war....that's simply playing Justin's game. But Al would have to be less passive than he was vs. Cerrone. If he could catch Gaethje with a few surprise takedowns and slow down the pace, that may be a really good strategy.

Another pressure fighter that's gonna massacre Cowboy

You don't have to go to war....that's simply playing Justin's game. But Al would have to be less passive than he was vs. Cerrone. If he could catch Gaethje with a few surprise takedowns and slow down the pace, that may be a really good strategy.

Al isn’t taking Gaethje down. You need volume to defeat Justin. Al doesn’t have that. Plus he head hunts almost exclusively, which won’t work with Gaethje shell guard. Where did this overrating of Al come from?

Al isn’t taking Gaethje down. You need volume to defeat Justin. Al doesn’t have that. Plus he head hunts almost exclusively, which won’t work with Gaethje shell guard. Where did this overrating of Al come from?

Based on what? Poirier, Eddie and others took Gaethje down. Wrestling is a use-it-or-lose it skill. Just because Gaethje was a D1 wrestler doesn't make him a great MMA wrestler. Where did this overrating of Justin come from?

Now this is a fight to be stoked about. I'm shocked so many are taking Justin over Cowboy but I won't be upset either way. It will be a FOTY/KOTY contender for sure. Let's do this.

Seems like a bit of a “gimme” for old JG. But Donald is a gamer. So, you never know. I’ll be rooting for Justin, though.

Not sure who else he could fight though. Not going to get a title shot; he's fought Poirer; Tony should be next for the title; Conor's not fighting; beaten Barboza; Lee's at welterweight; Pettis is booked. Only other option is Iaquinta or maybe Felder. Otherwise he's fighting someone outside the top 10.

I wish and i'm confident on Gaethje. He will show, once more, that Cerrone losses on big fights.

Gaethje by unanimous beating inside the distance.

Gaethje should be the favorite. Cerrone doesn't do well against pressure fighters

That helps prove my point. Cowboy's chin gets weaker every fight. He'd probably have a lot better chance if he were Gaethje's age (28) and hadn't eaten so many body and head shots. Yes, he went 3 rounds with Lawler, but Lawler has only looked good for 90 seconds vs. Askren since his 2015 fight with Condit (and even then, both those fighters appeared to be fading from their primes). Look at Till, Masvidal, Pettis, Nate Diaz, RDA, etc. vs. Cerrone. Gaethje might not be as good or well-rounded as some of them, but he clearly has the power and pressure that's always been Cerron's weakness.

I would bet the house that Perry and Lawler both hit harder then JG, and they both came at him guns blazing and didn't succeed in overwhelming him. You have to cherry pick fights over a decade to say that this is a problem for Cowboy.

The 2015 version of RDA would RUN through JG as well. We're living in the world were Poirer and Alvarez both out gamed him and knocked him out, and they are far and away the two best guys JG has faced. Barboza is 5-5 right now, lets keep things in focus.

Don't let what you want to happen (a Gaethje loss) cloud your judgement. I'm not a big fan of Gaethje either

I don't live vicariously through entertainment. I don't personally care if JG or Cowboy wins, they are both entertaining guys.

Won’t be FOTN because Cerrone won’t make it out of the 1st round

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back