News Justin Gaethje opens up as (-140) favorite over Michael Chandler (+120)

Is this guy a "great wrestler"

kZkBRE.gif

Pls respond

I get your point, but to be fair Khabib was still a kid back then. Chandler was in the prime of his life, in the biggest fight of his life getting taken down by a guy he worked on TDD for in camp.

Is this guy a "great wrestler"

kZkBRE.gif

Pls respond

Wow, Khabib was taken down by fellow wrestlers. Chandler was taken down by a BJJ guy and a guy who did some wrestling in HS.

Btw

I get your point, but to be fair Khabib was still a kid back then. Chandler was in the prime of his life, in the biggest fight of his life getting taken down by a guy he worked on TDD for in camp.
Khabib was taken down by wrestlers. Imagine if Khabib got taken down by Oliveira or a will brooks. This sub wouldn't live it down lol. Tibau was a national wrestler. Trujillo was a college wrestler.

I'm not trying to knock oliveira. I think he has great reaction takedowns. But still, Michael Chandler is supposed to be this badass wrestler and he hasn't really shown that. He has good wrestling, not extraordinary wrestling, imo.

Khabib was taken down by wrestlers. Imagine if Khabib got taken down by Oliveira or a will brooks. This sub wouldn't live it down lol. Tibau was a national wrestler. Trujillo was a college wrestler.

I'm not trying to knock oliveira. I think he has great reaction takedowns. But still, Michael Chandler is supposed to be this badass wrestler and he hasn't really shown that. He has good wrestling, not extraordinary wrestling, imo.
Yeah, same way everyone said Gaethje was Khabib's toughest matchup because of his great wrestling even though he has never shown great wrestling lol

Justin has a chin so I think he can survive Chandler's initial onslot but while Chandler is no submission master, he is a great wrestler and above average BJJ, so I think he subs Justin.
Khabib had to walk through a lot to finally take Justin down, Chandler doesn't have the best chin and would not withstand that type of beating.

Primus stopped him with leg kicks & even Hooker/Oliveira took him off his feet.

As he should, Chandlers best chance is taking him down and running through him, but it's much easier to just stand and bang.

Chandler is very susceptible to the outside low kick and Gaethje will destroy his leg rather quickly if he doesn't utilize his grappling early.

His wrestling is not in the category of those guys you mentioned. Its solid, but its not nothing revolutionary. That's why I use it. Chandler is high octane and prefers stand up anyway. Like Gaethje in a way, he prefers to knock people out or be knocked out.

This much I knew.

In an interview, he told gaethje to be prepared to be make a highlight or be prepared to be made a highlight.

Yeah, saw the interview.

He has the conor issue of Cardio. His issue is he's always jumping in and out and throws with alot of energy because he sits on his punches. So that's why its relevant.

This much I also knew, but not sure what you're referring to with the relevancy part. Guessing you mean because rassling takes a lot of energy, so in combination with his explosive striking, he's doomed to gas out if he doesn't finish.

He also telegraphs his takedowns too. A jab up high or a jab to the body for entry. I think gaethje will be prepared. But we'll see.

Yeah, I kinda got that impression that he has just a few go-to's.

You're funny.
Justin has never looked good defensively on the ground. It's a safe bet for if it doesn't land in a big ko for either guy. One thing not mentioned is Chandler doesn't deal well with leg kicks. Can he adjust and start checking them so late in his career?

Will Brooks is a good wrestler himself, or was lmao

What the fuck is with you geeks using revisionist history?
He wrestled in High school. But okay, if you want to say he's a great mma wrestler, have at it. I don't care what you're angle is. All I'm saying is, I feel like people are overselling Chandler's wrestling like he's some Khabib. He's not. He has good wrestling, but I feel like people are putting it on the level of all the elite wrestlers like Jon Jones, Cormier, Usman.

This much I knew.

Yeah, saw the interview.

This much I also knew, but not sure what you're referring to with the relevancy part. Guessing you mean because rassling takes a lot of energy, so in combination with his explosive striking, he's doomed to gas out if he doesn't finish.

Yeah, I kinda got that impression that he has just a few go-to's.
It's relevant because he only really has two rounds to Take Gaethje down. Maybe a round and a half to take Gaethje down. After that, it's Gaethje's fight. I don't see him doing that. If he had a gas tank like Colby, sure. Like Usman, sure but his style doesn't lead to any notion that he's going to wrestlefuck Gaethje for 3-5 rounds. Gaethje's explosive too.

Gaethje has been rocked by Johnson, Alvarez and Poirier.

College wrestling is vastly different from MMA wrestling. It really depends on your style and how you implement the cage in your wrestling as well. Some guys can be great scramblers and win titles in college but it means automatically losing the round in MMA. I believe using traditional grappling positions beat out scrambling. Scrambling is great at the right time but it often starts you at bad positions.

Wall wrestling/defense matters a lot too. Some guys need the wall and some guys hate the wall.

Gaethje has been rocked by Johnson, Alvarez and Poirier.
I think the odds reflect accurately for the fight. I don't think its a home run by any means but I favor gaethje. I also don't think gaethje is going to get wrestlefucked because he got wrestlefucked by khabib. I think that's lazy analysis. I think Chandler can get him down but I don't think he'd keep him down. Just my personal opinion.

It's relevant because he only really has two rounds to Take Gaethje down. Maybe a round and a half to take Gaethje down. After that, it's Gaethje's fight. I don't see him doing that. If he had a gas tank like Colby, sure. Like Usman, sure but his style doesn't lead to any notion that he's going to wrestlefuck Gaethje for 3-5 rounds. Gaethje's explosive too.

But Gaethje is pretty helpless on his back. Chandler might be able to finish him on the ground.

But Gaethje is pretty helpless on his back. Chandler might be able to finish him on the ground.
I agree he is. But he's not going to be on his back. Just my opinion. I'm not saying its fact. I'm just saying it's going to be hard. he's going to scramble before chandler could even advance into the next transition, I feel.

I think gaethje would be the most explosive mma anti-wrestler he's faced.

Fair odds. It's a really close fight. I think it comes down to durability so I've got Justin, but I really wouldn't be surprised if Chandler wins.

Each time Justin faced an elite opponent he got finished (he almost got finished by MJ in the 1st round!), so that isn't a good sign for me.

Chandler showed he belongs in the elite of the division from his performance against Oliveira (imo he wins that 7/10). He has KO power, however his durability is suspect. Chandler isn't going to do what Khabib did, I think that's a simple way of looking at it, but he can use his wrestling too.

I agree he is. But he's not going to be on his back. Just my opinion. I'm not saying its fact. I'm just saying it's going to be hard. he's going to scramble before chandler could even advance into the next transition, I feel.

I think gaethje would be the most explosive mma anti-wrestler he's faced.

True. But he might also take him down after having rocked him. But yeah, I favor Gaethje too. Apparently Chandler isn't too great at dealing with leg kicks too, which we all know is one of Gaethje's main weapons. I wonder what Gaethje shows up though. Dude hasn't fought since he got creamed by Khabib.

True. But he might also take him down after having rocked him. But yeah, I favor Gaethje too. Apparently Chandler isn't too great at dealing with leg kicks too, which we all know is one of Gaethje's main weapons. I wonder what Gaethje shows up though. Dude hasn't fought since he got creamed by Khabib.
The way some people talk about chandler wrestle fucking gaethje online, it just sounds fanciful. To me, Chandler is Chad Mendes with better top control and decent submissions. For most of the mma world, that's very good, but its not omg, he's going to wrestlefuck some dude. He's going to submit him. Eh, I don't know about that.

I think Both of their paths to victories are KOs. I see Chandler timing him on a leg kick. I see gaethje kicking his legs into submission and get a tko either chewing his legs off or his legs lead to him opening up and chandler gets KOed

I can see chandler taking gaethje down if he rocks him hard enough, but I never seen gaethje been rocked hard enough to the point he can't move. Idk if he can keep him down. I'm not saying this because I don't like michael chandler. I'm just saying I truly don't think he can do this. Even if I would have liked chandler, I would say the same thing. I have to believe it to see it. It's a possiblity. I won't dismiss it.

But I don't believe in Michael Chandler at age 35. Maybe age 30. 32. Not age 35. I think he peaked after pitbull.

Last edited:
Back