Justin Gaethje: Future Champ?

giphy.gif

I think JG will be answering with his own leg kicks AND takedowns

JG doesnt shoot for the laces, his pride doesnt let’em

Boza kicking game is a lot more technical than Justins. Justin just throws volume kicks with power, not much setting them up or using timing to whip them off. I think Boza can time his kicks in better and even time Justins to land some good checks on the incoming kicks.

I really like Gaethje. One of my favourite fighters to watch but he's too reckless to be champion.

Haha. I'm still waiting to see that world class wrestling that he possesses.
Funny, isn't it?

One way to look at it is, we haven't seen it.

Another way is, he's been so good at shrugging off takedown attempts that we haven't been able to see anything. Unlike, say, Robbie Lawler, he hasn't even shown us a sick sprawl; instead, he just shrugs em off (the very few that have been attempted).

Like you, I'd like to see him fight someone who makes more than a halfhearted attempt at grappling with him.

Last edited:
Nah he absorbs a ton of shots in every fight, not sustainable

people will say his defense is terrible but in my opinion his defense is pretty decent. he tucks his chin, he covers up pretty good, moves his head, his real problem is, he just stays in the pocket ALL THE TIME.

that's what you can't do. not in MMA, you can't stand there and cover up every single exchange, they're gonna find a hole eventually with those little gloves and a myriad of weapons at their disposal.

if he would tactically enter into exchanges and then exit them, he could've beaten Alvarez and Poirer, but because he just stands in the pocket even when he's doing nothing but resting, hitting him is pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel.

he'd save his brain a lot of trauma if he just circled and/or backed up every once in a while.

Funny, isn't it?

One way to look at it is, we haven't seen it.

Another way is, he's been so good at shrugging off takedown attempts that we haven't been able to see anything. Unlike, say, Robbie Lawler, he doesn't have to sprawl, he just shrugs em off.

Like you, I'd like to see him fight someone who makes more than a halfhearted attempt at grappling with him.
We haven't seen his wrestling kinda like we never got to see Belfort or JDS black belt jiu-jitsu. The thing about Gaethje is that he always finds a way to get you into a brawl. You literally have to KO him to beat him.

We haven't seen his wrestling kinda like we never got to see Belfort or JDS black belt jiu-jitsu. The thing about Gaethje is that he always finds a way to get you into a brawl. You literally have to KO him to beat him.
Agreed. I think we're all saying the same thing; he is supposed to have great wrestling, and so far the only evidence we've seen is that no one has really been able to even clinch effectively against him, let alone get it to the ground. Some take that as a lack of evidence either way, but my point is mostly that clinch work and tdd is grappling.

& the Just Bleed God so loved Sherdog that he gave us Justin Gaethje to punch people and be punched by people.

This might be an unpopular opinion but the only person I truly feel that can beat Khabib and will become future LW champ (eventually) is Gregor "The Gift" Gillespie. I'm sold on this guy.

Not technical enough for Poirier or McGregor, not strong enough for Khabib, Ferguson beats him at his own game too imo.

Nay, very little fight IQ, chin, will and power can only take you so far in a division that stacked as LW, having said that, he is the JBG of 2019 and i thank him for it, but he will not make it to the title.

No sorry he doesn't have any chance of beating Khabib. He was nervous about wrestling exchanges with Alvarez. When did you ever see him use wrestling in fights ? He doesn't, he picked a coach that's gonna focus on striking cuz he was bored of wrestling

Yep. He did do some slams back in his early days, but he also got taken down by some lesser fighters. Poirier took him down as well. Wrestling, like anything else, is use it or lose it. He may have been a solid college wrestler, but if you don't keep up your skills they won't be as sharp.

We finally saw a bit of Belfort's many years later, but not much in his early days. I think his "black belt" was a ruse to keep guys standing with him. I remember Tank diving for a TD after he was already dazed. He later said he should've taken Belfort down early in the fight.

Back