Just watched the 2002 K-1 Grand Prix - entertaining as hell

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just worked my way through the 2002 K-1 Grand Prix - so much fun.

The two Hoost vs Sapp fights.
Aerts vs Sefo
Le Banner vs Hunt
Hoost vs Le Banner

It's possibly the most fun K-1 tournament I've watched yet (I'm working my way through all of them in chronological order, from 1993 to 2010).

2009 K-1 final was fun as hell too and is my personal favorite.

1. 1999 WGP
2. 1998 WGP
3. 2006 MAX
4. 2008 MAX
5. 2010 WGP

It is known

Yes, action wise it was a fantastic event. Many fighters were close / around their prime back then. Leko was great, Hunt was great, Le Banner was awesome being unbeaten the entire year, Sapp came in as the unbeatable monster etc.

The downside of this GP was the arm break of Le Banner, which pretty much took away his prime year as he kept having issues with it till 2008.

Hoost eventually won, even though he's a worthy champion, he did have a bit too much luck with a loss to Sapp, but an injury getting him back in the GP, another loss to Sapp in the quarters, but Sapp being injured allowed him the pass to the semi where Sefo injured his leg quickly and eventually winning the GP by injury of Le Banner.

So action wise definately one of the best GPs, but the injuries left a very bad taste.

2008 with Hari and Zimmerman was great as well and of course 1999 with Aerts vs Le Banner and Hoost vs Le Banner.

Legendary fight, watch and hear the reaction from the crowd that goes bananas!

Yes, action wise it was a fantastic event. Many fighters were close / around their prime back then. Leko was great, Hunt was great, Le Banner was awesome being unbeaten the entire year, Sapp came in as the unbeatable monster etc.

The downside of this GP was the arm break of Le Banner, which pretty much took away his prime year as he kept having issues with it till 2008.

Hoost eventually won, even though he's a worthy champion, he did have a bit too much luck with a loss to Sapp, but an injury getting him back in the GP, another loss to Sapp in the quarters, but Sapp being injured allowed him the pass to the semi where Sefo injured his leg quickly and eventually winning the GP by injury of Le Banner.

So action wise definately one of the best GPs, but the injuries left a very bad taste.

2008 with Hari and Zimmerman was great as well and of course 1999 with Aerts vs Le Banner and Hoost vs Le Banner.

Well said my friend, and that fight you posted is top 3 K1 fights imo !!

HARI VS ZINNERMAN WAS FUCKING AWESOME CANT WAIT FOR THE BADBOY TO BE BACK

Back