Just watched Shutter Island again.

Kingsley and Von Sydow OWN that scene where exposition regarding the disappearance is given. Great performances from both and both end up being very ominous for different reasons. Von Sydow's character of course has that look and feel of malevolence about him but Kingsley has that under-the-surface menace. Always loved that moment where Kingsley confronts DiCaprio and says something to the effect of, "I've made something of value here that I don't intend to give up without a fight..."

DiCaprio and Ruffalo are, as they are in most rolesl, awesome in it. Also awesome to see strong character actors like John Carol Lynch, Jackie Earle Haley, and the man Elias "Casey Jones" Koteas.

Don't see any real issue with the film. To me it's like a Hitchcockian Scorsese film. It's thoroughly involving and has great atmosphere. I definitely recommend that one.

I am going to miss Max. I remember after Minority Report being kind of bummed that he hadn't been leveraged for more quality, high profile roles.

Overrated like a mother fucker. The movie was insanely, pun intended, predictable ..and it relied on Not being that.

The constant suggestions that it was bullshit were overbearing. Cmon folks, audiences are smarter than that these days.

Right? ...right?

I really liked it but felt like it was a movie I only needed to see once.

Someone told me if I've seen Primal Fear I've seen Shutter Island? So I never bothered.
Primal fear was believeable and towers over Shutter Island. 2 shocks in the movie, 1 being a guess.

I haven't even seen this movie yet... I will maybe buy it, or download it.

I didn't realize people thought it was shit. I thought it was a great movie. I've watched it 4 or 5 times.

Overrated like a mother fucker. The movie was insanely, pun intended, predictable ..and it relied on Not being that.

The constant suggestions that it was bullshit were overbearing. Cmon folks, audiences are smarter than that these days.

Right? ...right?

ContentFrequentAfricanclawedfrog-small.gif

Probably my favorite Leo movie...fkn awesome. I didn't know or got much hate

I am going to miss Max. I remember after Minority Report being kind of bummed that he hadn't been leveraged for more quality, high profile roles.

I think he's had a very meaningful twilight to his career. One of his two Oscar nominations ever is in the last handful of years (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). In addition to the roles he would have had anyway, I think he got some of the roles that might have gone to Richard Harris if he had still been around.

I think he's had a very meaningful twilight to his career. One of his two Oscar nominations ever is in the last handful of years (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). In addition to the roles he would have had anyway, I think he got some of the roles that might have gone to Richard Harris if he had still been around.

He really did, and I believe he's still working, but the guy has such a presence beyond being a giant amongst manlets it would have been nice to see him in meatier roles.

Hate? Really, I thought it was a solid film. Leo always gives an excellent performance in this most of his films, ie: the departed, inception, blood diamond, reverance, etc...
Fun fact, did u guys know Shutter Island is and anagram for "truths and lies?"

Hate? Really, I thought it was a solid film. Leo always gives an excellent performance in this most of his films, ie: the departed, inception, blood diamond, reverance, etc...
Fun fact, did u guys know Shutter Island is and anagram for "truths and lies?"

It was his film after the departed, and I remember some critics and people on boards thought it was kind of a drop off. I didn't, personally they are different films.

I appreciate the complexity of a film like the departed and such, but Shutter Island is a film that goes down smooth imo.

I loved this movie. I don’t smoke weed very often, and I remember watched it for the first time while being blazed out of my mind. This scene seriously tripped me out and I played it probably 5 times in a row lol

I had no idea why buffalo bill was talking to him like that, and then the “we’ve known each other for centuries” line.

Fun fact. In the original script, Leo's sanity is left ambiguous.

i thought this was worth quoting. Theaters are way dead to you, dayum

I just don't get the hype.

Have to sit there all quiet. Can't take a piss. Most don't serve alcohol. Chairs are tiny for tall guys. Only upside I could see is getting to view the movie before people get to at home but I can just wait.

Back